• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legality of this type of setup

fox689

imported post

I was wanting to setup something like this:

DSC_0007.jpg

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum62/23387.html

I was wondering what the legality of it is without a CCW. In my car the stereo is in the bottom slot with the placeholder/container in the top.

Bottom line: Is this considered in the open and would it stand up in a court of law here in KY?

(Also, is there any way to resize a picture display area without having to physically resize the picture in this forum?)

MgoBlue

imported post

Illegal. If you do not have a CCDW permit, then you need to carry in either a locked trunk (unaccessible from the interior), in a glovebox (not center console), or truly open (e.g., on the front seat not covered by anything).

Reg

zer0cool

imported post

MgoBlue wrote:
Illegal. If you do not have a CCDW permit, then you need to carry in either a locked trunk (unaccessible from the interior), in a glovebox (not center console), or truly open (e.g., on the front seat not covered by anything).

Reg
All I can say is +1. Could not have said it better myself. :dude:

fox689

imported post

Thanks. Just making sure. Going to set it up anyway for when I've got the permit. Didn't know if it would be ok seeing as it would be plainly visible from the window. More visible than if it were in the front passenger seat.

mellio

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
I can't see anything wrong there. It's in view and NOT in a center console or door pocket out of sight.

I agree. Anyone could walk up with no searching and see and identify it as a gun.

MgoBlue

imported post

But remember . . . it's not whether or not it actually makes sense, but whether the letter of the law is being followed. That's why center console carry is a no-no.

Fox689 -- do what you want to do. I just know I wouldn't carry it in that slot without having a CCDW.

TheMrMitch

imported post

*Vehicle carry and transportation: firearms (rifles, shotguns and handguns) may
be carried
loaded and in plain view; loaded handguns maybecarried in the glove compartment (center console box carry is not allowed)

mellio

imported post

Concealed center console carry is illegal. Unconcealed carry is legal anywhere in the car. In my opinion. This is a confusing area to some people. I think when some people read the law they confuse the part about the glovebox. In my opinion it is saying that the glovebox is the only place your gun can be concealed and not be illegal. If it's concealed in the center console or center glove compartment it is illegal. If it is sticking out of a center console that doesn't have a cover of any kind and is visable as a gun from all directions without any search what so ever, I can't see it considered illegal. But again this is just my personal opinion.

zer0cool

imported post

We can go back and forth all day about this. There are so many variables, his hands could be in the way while being on the steering wheel and blocking the view, if hes a larger individual his gut could be in the way. But just as CYA I wouldnt do it unless you have a CCDW. It seems too much of a risk when you could just lean over and drop it in the glove box. That way no "gray area", nothing up to interpretation, nothing to construe, just plain and simple in the glove box and legal. Just MHO

fox689

imported post

Well, I guess I'll start looking into case law about what has happened to people who've had it in the open but not in the front passenger seat or ON the dashboard. The way the law is read that has been quoted by TheMrMitch, I'd go with it being OK though.

But, I was raised to question the law as to whether it is applied with common sense. An officer could easily have been told only the 2nd part of it about glove box and told that is the only acceptable place in the cab of a vehicle.

BTW, what is the code number that goes with that nice little snippet?

hotrod

imported post

I see nothing wrong with carrying your handgun that way. It's in the open, easily identifiable and should cause no problem. There is always a chance that someone could say it's concealed, but, that could happen laying on the seat. Nothing is absolutely safe and everything is prone to "feeling".

MgoBlue

imported post

hotrod wrote:
There is always a chance that someone could say it's concealed, but, that could happen laying on the seat.
There have been cases where individuals were convicted of concealed carry when they had handguns on their front passenger seat -- but with something slightly covering part of the weapon. This is why I approach the matter very simply . . . if any portion of the gun is concealed, the entire gun is considered being concealed. For example, if I am carrying a gun in an IWB holster, but do not have a shirt or jacket covering the upper portion of the weapon, it is considered concealed carry.

kentuckyshiner85

imported post

look I have talked to many city cops and a few state boys. They all say the same thing the only place is in the glove dep. It dosen't have to be locked. The gun can be locked and cocked. so just don't do it.

KY_CCDW

imported post

kentuckyshiner85 wrote:
look I have talked to many city cops and a few state boys. They all say the same thing the only place is in the glove dep. It dosen't have to be locked. The gun can be locked and cocked. so just don't do it.
+1

Of course, if you get your KY CCDW permit, you can have it just about anywhere!