• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

American Rifleman Handgun of the Year!

Alexcabbie

imported post

XDm: Nice weapon, love the way it points, have not heard anything but praise.

Given the choice however I would keep my postwar P38 and let the XDm go. Using an XDm for the purpose a P38 was built for is the equivalent of hauling manure in a Cadillac Escalade.

Dustin

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
XDm:  Nice weapon, love the way it points, have not heard anything but praise.

Given the choice however I would keep my postwar P38 and let the XDm go.  Using an XDm for the purpose a P38 was built for is the equivalent of hauling manure in a Cadillac Escalade.

:uhoh:

Alexcabbie

imported post

Dustin wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:
XDm: Nice weapon, love the way it points, have not heard anything but praise.

Given the choice however I would keep my postwar P38 and let the XDm go. Using an XDm for the purpose a P38 was built for is the equivalent of hauling manure in a Cadillac Escalade.

:uhoh:
Ah. Perhaps I should explain. The Walther P.38 was as I like to say "the pistol designed with world conquest in mind". Now while I certainly don't intend to take over the planet by main force of arms :shock:I love the P.38 for its simplicity, ruggedness and accuracy. Not to mention the option of multiple hammer strikes on a dud round, and of course everybody probably knows my phobia about carrying a cocked weapon with a live round in battery. All this PLUS it is almost revolver-like in that jamming is rare; and in the unlikely event of a jam it is easily and quickly cleared due to the open-slide design.

When I purchased my P.38 I was baffled at first as to how to find a suitable quality leather holster - oh yes, I HATE those new fangled carbon fiber rigs, gimme leather and a thumb break retainer and I am good to go - until I discovered that the Beretta M92 was based on the P.38 and practically any leather made for the M92 will fit the P.38 as long as you can cut down about an extra 1/8 inch for trigger guard clearance.

The magazine release on the P.38 is designed so as to prevent embarassing premature "ejectulation".

THEN there is the PRICE. Aside from firing twice as many shots without reloading, anything you can do with an XDm I can do better with a P.38. Whaddaya mean no I can't? Yes I can, yes I can. And I wont even have to dress up like Annie Oakley either, and I wouldn't regardless. :cool:

Spectre

imported post

Just got myself an unfired XDM .40 and an extra 2 mags about a month ago on a trade for my rock island 1911.

I love this pistol to death.