• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

News Article

tygereye

imported post

ADDISON TOWNSHIP, Mich (WXYZ) -Police say aman is recovering after being shot in the face by the instructor during a Concealed Pistol License class.

It happened on Dequindre in Addison Township. Police say the shooting was accidental.

The investigation has determined that the instructor was demonstrating two guns during the class. Officers say he first showed a semi automatic hand gun loaded with plastic training bullets. He then displayed a .38 caliber Smith & Wesson revolver that he thought was also loaded with plastic training bullets.

It was during that portion of the class that the .38 caliber revolver accidentally went off. The bullet ricocheted off the instructional table, hitting the student in the face.

The 52-year-old was hit on his left cheek. He immediately received medical help from another student, while other participants in the class called 911. He is currently in stable condition at Troy Beaumont hospital with non life threatening injuries.

The investigation is ongoing, and will be reviewed by the Oakland County Prosecutor's Office for possible charges.

Here is the link to the story. Unbelievable.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local/story/Police-Firearms-Instructor-Shoots-Student/gEPmqyYZdE6WuAZa_tfV7w.cspx?rss=785

wrightme

imported post

Wow.

Without reading the article, I get this from it:

1) Loaded firearm used as instruction tool. Fail

2) Violation of muzzle discipline. Fail

3) #2 combined with violation of trigger finger discipline. Fail

NEVER use loaded firearms in a classroom environment.

NEVER point the muzzle at something you do not wish to put a hole in.

NEVER place your finger on the trigger unless the muzzle is pointed at something you do not mind having a hole in.

Michigander

imported post

wrightme wrote:
NEVER place your finger on the trigger unless the muzzle is pointed at something you do not mind having a hole in.

I would actually say never place your finger on the trigger unless you are in the very act of attempting to put a hole in something you are aiming at.

wrightme

imported post

Michigander wrote:
wrightme wrote:

I would actually say never place your finger on the trigger unless you are in the very act of attempting to put a hole in something you are aiming at.
True, but my response was taking in to account the classroom setting, and the expectation of dummy rounds. I would assume simulated firing, and explanations of the actions. This is likely to include operating the trigger. Using dummy rounds you aren't attempting to put a hole in anything. BUT, just in case, you do not point the muzzle at anything that you are not willing to have a hole in.