• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Peace Officer's Perspective

Anderson IN

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
The reason they aren't robbed is because the cops who RUN the evidence room steal that stuff themselves.

I was going to argue with you but then I saw you were from Louisiana......never mind.:what:

protector84

imported post

Here is how your typical police evidence department works. If you get arrested with a pound of marijuana by the time the evidence is brought to court it is now an ounce of marijuana.

NightOwl

imported post

Many years ago it was common knowledge in the area I grew up that if cops in a local small town stopped someone with bad marijuana, you got a ticket, if you had good marijuana, it was confiscated and no ticket/record of the stop. So, nobody went there with bad marijuana...

Phlip74

imported post

I just like to state one thing I've seen on these reality shows, when ever a armed robber comes in and tries to rob the place with a gun and the clerk pulls out a gun and starts to shoot you never see the BG shooting back, just running.... I'm not saying that they never shoot back or shoot first just that more often than most just seeing the victim having a gun makes the BG go away!!!

xdguy

imported post

Tactically though I don't like open carry. If you walk into 7-11 the guy standing in line may be planning on robbing the place. With you there he knows he needs to shoot you first and remove you from the equation. He's got the drop on you and surprise is on his side. Or maybe he wants to disarm you. Even with Level 3 retention holsters (lots of safeties in the holster to hold onto the gun) some cops get disarmed every year, there's just no way to guarantee not being disarmed. Concealed carry is much safer in this regard. If you do it right, nobody knows you have it. You have the element of surprise on your side if anything breaks sideways on you.

I bet the guy wont try any of that if we get 3 or 4 people to open carry in that 7-11.

hansolo

Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
imported post

xdguy wrote:
Tactically though I don't like open carry. If you walk into 7-11 the guy standing in line may be planning on robbing the place. With you there he knows he needs to shoot you first and remove you from the equation. He's got the drop on you and surprise is on his side. Or maybe he wants to disarm you. Even with Level 3 retention holsters (lots of safeties in the holster to hold onto the gun) some cops get disarmed every year, there's just no way to guarantee not being disarmed. Concealed carry is much safer in this regard. If you do it right, nobody knows you have it. You have the element of surprise on your side if anything breaks sideways on you.

I bet the guy wont try any of that if we get 3 or 4 people to open carry in that 7-11.

Tactically, I have my close to 1 second draw to shoot time.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

xdguy wrote:

Sigh! Haven't posted this in a while, so hear me.

Challange made: Show me one (1) verifiable instance with a valid cite where a legally OCing citizen was preemptively taken out anywhere in the U.S. in modern times - LEOs and Security excluded. It doesn't happen - it is an emotional argument without basis in fact.

If an event such as described (preemptive stike) were to eventually occur, the result numerical ratio would look something like .000001% - definitely odds with which I can live and my real point would actually be further confirmed.

OC has been repeatedly reported to have aborted criminal intent more times than I can count. OC deters crime, is faster into action, makes a political/educational statement, is more comfortable in hot weather etc., etc. Unfortunately is not legal in all states.

Frankly, I do not care whether you OC or CC. As long as you do so responsibly, you have my vote.

Yata hey

PS - which establisment is more likely to be robbed? The one with an OCer (or two) or the one with a CCing citizen in attendance.

BSProof

imported post

Dustin wrote:
In the high crime, high drug areas where I work, if I saw someone open carrying a gun I would stop and identify them.

And what would be your probable cause?

The best question yet.

Apparently curiosity is in Wash.

I always find it amazing how those charged with "enforcing" the law pay very little attention to it as it operates upon THEIR actions, but they'll construe it however they want when it's something THEY want to do to control you.

Like something as simple as cell phones. All we hear is "don't drive and talk on the cell...IT'S THE LAW!" But if I had a nickle for every LEO that I've seen on their's I'd be able to pay off the national debt in three years.

I don't think kudos is warranted because there's a lesser degree of disregard of his restrictions.

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that one's living in a "high crime" area doesn't mean LEOs can disregard the restrictions imposed on searches and seizures.

U.P.

imported post

I know that here in MI if a LEO pulls you over WHILE DRIVING you are supposed to immediately announce when you are carrying but i have been told you are supposed to say if you have a CCW/CPL but I have never been asked or have said if not CCing or OCing.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Nick the Sniper wrote:
Dustin wrote:
In the high crime, high drug areas where I work, if I saw someone open carrying a gun I would stop and identify them.

The best question yet.

I always find it amazing how those charged with "enforcing" the law pay very little attention to it as it operates upon THEIR actions, but they'll construe it however they want when it's something THEY want to do to control you.

Like something as simple as cell phones. All we hear is "don't drive and talk on the cell...IT'S THE LAW!" But if I had a nickle for every LEO that I've seen on their's I'd be able to pay off the national debt in three years.

I don't think kudos is warranted because there's a lesser degree of disregard of his restrictions.

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that one's living in a "high crime" area doesn't mean LEOs can disregard the restrictions imposed on searches and seizures.
Don't you know that the ends justifies the means?

If they conduct an illegal search they will simply make up whatever excuse in court to justify the search. . . after all. . . since they searched you and found it, they must have had PC!

Or even worst, like in my case they admit they didn't have one shred of PC, policy or anything and still removed my firearm, forcibly removed the wallet and ID from my pocket and ran the serials and conducted a wants and warrant check.

What happens? Nothing. Fruit of the poisonous tree is still allowed.

If they are wrong, well, their mistake. Most people can't afford to do anything about it.

jmar254

imported post

Question for all the LEOs out there.

How many gangbangers, drug dealers or all around bad people that you encounter everyday Open Carry their guns?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jmar254 wrote:
Question for all the LEOs out there.

How many gangbangers, drug dealers or all around bad people that you encounter everyday Open Carry their guns?
What and risk being hassled and such jus' cuzz the are known felons or recognized gang members with wants and warrants?

Yata hey

BSProof

imported post

Theseus wrote:
Nick the Sniper wrote:
Dustin wrote:

The best question yet.

Like something as simple as cell phones. All we hear is "don't drive and talk on the cell...IT'S THE LAW!" But if I had a nickle for every LEO that I've seen on theirs I'd be able to pay off the national debt in three years.

Don't you know that the ends justifies the means?

If they conduct an illegal search they will simply make up whatever excuse in court to justify the search. . . after all. . . since they searched you and found it, they must have had PC!

Or even worst, like in my case they admit they didn't have one shred of PC, policy or anything and still removed my firearm, forcibly removed the wallet and ID from my pocket and ran the serials and conducted a wants and warrant check.

What happens? Nothing. Fruit of the poisonous tree is still allowed.

If they are wrong, well, their mistake. Most people can't afford to do anything about it.

Even those who can "afford" it can't do anything about it. There is no constitution, there is no "law." There are only those who set up this (de)illusional system that lackeys and bullies enjoy "enforcing" upon those who are not lackeys and bullies.

Let's take this are of land currently recognized as "California" for instance. The "California Constitution" says that the right to trial by jury is "inviolable."

How is "inviolable" defined?

in·vi·o·la·ble (ĭn-vī'ə-lə-bəl)
adj.
  1. Secure from violation or profanation: an inviolable reliquary deep beneath the altar.
  2. Impregnable to assault or trespass; invincible: fortifications that made the frontier inviolable.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin inviolābilis : in-, not; see [size="-1"][font="arial,sans-serif"] in-[/font][/size][sup]1[/sup] + violāre, to violate; see [size="-1"][font="arial,sans-serif"] violate[/font][/size].]
in·vi'o·la·bil'i·ty, in·vi'o·la·ble·ness n., in·vi'o·la·bly adv. The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

A "California Court of Appeal" says in relative part:

"The limitation on an accused's right to jury trial of infractions has withstood constitutional attack upon the rationale the Legislature did not intend to classify infractions as crimes." People v. Sava (1987) 190 Cal.App.3d 935, at p. 939

The "California Penal Code" section 689 says:

"No person can be convicted of a public offense unless by verdict of a jury, accepted and recorded by the court, by a finding of the court in a case where a jury has been waived, or by a plea of guilty.” See PenalCode section 689

"California Judicial Council" on its "Self-Help Glossary" page that it has for those who can't afford legal representation says:

“public offense: A crime. Compare to private or civil wrongs that violate ‘private laws,’ for example, a contract between 2 parties. The difference between civil/private and criminal/public wrongs is that public offenses focus on the behavior of the offender while the law of civil wrongs focuses on making an injured person whole.” (See also crime.) See California Courts: Self-Help Center: Glossary

"California Peace Officer" authority, according to the "California Penal Code" only extends to "public offenses" See Penal Code section 830.1(a).

Yet EVERYDAY people are "arraigned" on the "public offense" of a "traffic infraction" where those same people are "prosecuted" CRIMINALLY by the "STATE's" witness for a public offense WITHOUT a jury.

There is more to this but the above alone is enough to establish that there is NO constitution.

If a peace officer and raises the above, they will be fired. I know such a peace officer, and the initiating, investigating "peace officer" committed perjury, admitted to it; committed a felony by altering records and entering it as evidence, admitted to it; used local agency "peace officers" as witnesses, which "admitted" to driving "illegal (their words not mines)" motor vehicles; admitted they give each other passes when making traffic stops on off-duty "peace officers"; all to help terminate a peace officer, getting this peace officer's job and career destroyed for actually learning the proper application of the job hired for.

There is no "law." And all the belly aching, the moaning and groaning is all for naught. Because people "doing business" as the gubmint have mortgages to pay, and will not and do not rule by law. They only rule.

The most disappointing of it all is all the token money expended in purchasing THEIR "laws" (Evidence Code, Judge's Benchbooks, California Practice Guides, Westlaw subscriptions, etc., etc.,) and all the time expended (tens of thousands of hours) could have been spent just enjoying blissful ignorance and being told what to do and how to do it like good little hosts.

My rant for the day.

But, it is what it is, right? So be it!

bohdi

imported post

In light of recent events I thought this thread should be revisited. Bad guy 0, OC'er 1. In otherwords, the bad guy didn't shoot the OC'er in Richmond or target him first. All of that has been established.

KSDeputy

imported post

I was a deputy sheriff for 30 years. I do not ever recall a criminal open carrying a gun. Except, of course, when they are using it in a crime. :)