• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Applying for CCW License

urBan_dK

imported post

I may be wrong about this, but I thought it was required for every precinct to accept applications. They're trying to send me to downtown Everett to fill the application. They would not process it at that location.

I live in unincorporated Snohomish county, so it needs to be the sheriff. Is what they are doing legal?

heresolong

imported post

The law just says that the Sheriff needs to process the applications. They are obviously (to me) just trying to make it difficult but it is probably legal.

j2l3

imported post

King County does the same thing. You have to go to the headquarters office. All it says is they have to accept applications during normal business hours. Doesn't say at every office.

Seattle PD requires you to go to their headquarters in downtown Seattle too....

rbarrans

imported post

It will still be the Sheriff, they just do it through the main office in downtown Everett. I don't see anything illegal about it according to the RCW.

RCW 9.41.070
(13) A person may apply for a concealed pistol license:
  1. To the municipality or to the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in a municipality; To the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in an unincorporated area; Anywhere in the state if the applicant is a nonresident.

rbarrans

imported post

Also, if you look at the Snohomish County Sheriff's website, it says you have to apply downtown:
http://sheriff.snoco.org/Sheriff_Services/HowDoI/ConcealedPistoLicense.htm
General Information: If you live in unincorporated Snohomish County, apply at the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office -Records Unit on the fourth floor of the Snohomish County Courthouse, located at 3000 Rockefeller, Everett, Washington. You may call (425) 388-3839 for further information.

Gene Beasley

imported post

In King County, you can renew at the precincts, but you must make an appointment. Last time, they were scheduling over 30 days out so I opted for a trip downtown. Initial applications must be done at the courthouse downtown. It would be nice if they expanded that to the RJC.

urBan_dK

imported post

Thanks guys, plenty of info.

Guess I will need to make the trip downtown at some point.

Misguided Child

imported post

my guess is it is due to the digital fingerprint machines they have downtown. or just that they don't want to tie up staff at smaller offices.

Weave

imported post

Nice thing about living in a rural county (Klickitat), you go there and as long as someone is there to fingerprint you, you are out of there with the permit in 30-45 mins.

cynicist

imported post

Take in a copy of the law, ask why they are exempt from the law, then threaten to sue.
That's kinda what I did, long story short.

Tekman

imported post

I worked for SnoCo Sherriff's Office years ago. Back then the precinct offices did not have the facilities/equipment/personnel in place to process the applications and conduct the finger printing. It's likely they still don't.

jinj

imported post

I had to go to the court house in Seattle, the budget cuts stopped the remote offices accepting the applications, at least that is what they said.

I think it very unfair, as an out of state resident is allowed to goto any city or county office that accepts the application. Just because I live in the county, I had to go to that nasty court house, pay rip off parking fees, and enjoy the smell of the bums.

joeroket

imported post

jinj wrote:
I had to go to the court house in Seattle, the budget cuts stopped the remote offices accepting the applications, at least that is what they said.

I think it very unfair, as an out of state resident is allowed to goto any city or county office that accepts the application. Just because I live in the county, I had to go to that nasty court house, pay rip off parking fees, and enjoy the smell of the bums.

Could you imagine if they required Oregon residents to apply in person in Tonasket and Idaho residents to apply in person in Vancouver. That would probably cut down on the number of license requests for out of state residents.

Jered

imported post

jinj wrote:

I wonder if that raises an equal protection issue?

joeroket

imported post

Jered wrote:
jinj wrote:

I wonder if that raises an equal protection issue?

No it doesn't because neither are restricted from obtaining a CPL.

retrodad

imported post

urBan_dK wrote:
I may be wrong about this, but I thought it was required for every precinct to accept applications. They're trying to send me to downtown Everett to fill the application. They would not process it at that location.

I live in unincorporated Snohomish county, so it needs to be the sheriff. Is what they are doing legal?
urBan_dK:
I was in your shoes a while back; yes, unfortunately, unincorporated SnoCo residents have to go to the county seat to get CPL business done. I don't think its a legal matter, just a choice of convenience/cost for the county.