• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arrested for not possessing drivers license and rifile in back seat

SOneThreeCoupe

imported post

Most of what's been said in this thread, especially the true and penal-code-related statements, scares the living crap out of me.

But hey, if I'm not doing anything wrong, I don't have anything to worry about... :quirky

grumpycoconut

imported post

PT111 wrote:
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20090507/NEWS01/305070001

This poor fellow wound up being arrested and charged with murder just for speeding. He was driving along, a deer ran out in front of him, he swerved to miss it  and wound up killing someone. ;)  You need to read the comments under it.

Poor fellow? 85-96mph, probably DUI (on his way home from a wedding. Honest, I only had 2 beers) and loses control of his car(show me the deer) bad enough to zip across a field and punch a hole is someone's house. In CA this would not bring a "murder" charge (it's all about the definitions) but a gross vehicular manslaughter (191.5PC) charge would be very likely.

If I missed the sarcasm tags that should have surrounded the poor fellow comment, I'm sorry.

So should the accident investigators have gotten a warrant to get inside the car?

PS,
My thanks to every participant in this thread for keeping things on topic and civil despite any differences in opinion or view point. Its so much more better when things don't devolve into childish pissing contests. It's almost like we're not on the interwebz:D

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

grumpycoconut wrote:
... So should the accident investigators have gotten a warrant to get inside the car?
According to the United States Supreme Court and the United States Constitution, yes.

Remember, any warrantless vehicle search is presumed to violate the 4th Amendment, unless it meets specific exceptions laid out by the courts. Generally - with a few rare exceptions - LE are required to obtain a warrant unless there is a reasonable concern for officer safety or integrity of evidence.

The fishing expeditions of the past 28 years are coming to an end. A lot of bad guys are going to get away with bad things if LE don't obey the Constitution.

PT111

imported post

grumpycoconut wrote:
If I missed the sarcasm tags that should have surrounded the poor fellow comment, I'm sorry.

So should the accident investigators have gotten a warrant to get inside the car?

Yep you miss the sarcasm tags. ;)

That is a good question on the warrant that I don't have a clue other that what some have posted on here about it.

As for him being charged with murder I think the prosecutor is reaching but given the background of this and how it happened I think he should be charged with murder. It was a very curvy back road that the max speed should have been 35 for anyone to be safe even in a Massaretti. he traveled 500 feet, jumped a fence and pool hitting the house and going through it. The fellow who was killed was in the front of the house and the car struckin back of the house. The only way this driver even still has a license is because he has been able to buy his way out of tickets.

What does this have to do with the original post? I suppose not a lot except in both cases it started out with speeding.

cato

imported post

flyboy4.0 wrote:
4)Vehicle Frisk for Weapons-During a lawful contact, with reasonable suspicion occupants are armed (AND DANGEROUS?). Michigan v Long

Welcome to OCDO CA forum!

You Lawyer or Cop? or just well armed with knowledge of the law?

PC 647e loitering and refusing to present ID was the CASC case;)

pullnshoot25

imported post

flyboy4.0 wrote:
VC 40302(a) allows a peace officer to arrest a person who has committed a misdemeanor or infraction of the vehicle code into custody to verify their identity if they have no evidence of ID. This applies to driving offenses as well as bicycle or pedestrian offenses. Sometimes, bad guys will lie about who they are because they are wantedand this is a good tool. Also, there is case law that says if the driver is stopped for a lawful reason (Any punitive vehicle code section) and the driver has no ID or claims they have no ID, that is probable cause to search the vehicle for ID any place there may reasonably be ID. I do not remember the case law off the top of my head.

There used to be a law in California that in effect said people must carry ID in public. It mostly applied to merely being in public. The California Supreme Court struck it down. Driving a car is regulated by the vehicle code. VC 12951(a) says you have to have a DL in possession while driving. VC 12951(b) is a misdemeanor section that makes it arrestable to refuse to give your DL to a peace officer when lawfully stopped.

If you think you got caught in a speed trap, VC 40801-40808 prohibit a speed trap,defines a speed trap, and basically says all evidence derived from a speed trap is inadmissable. If you think you got caught in a speed trap, use that as a starting off point and do research on the internet.

Arizona vs Gant appplies only to searches incident to arrest from a vehicle.For example, an officer conducts a traffic stop for some violation. The officer runs the driver's info and finds an active warrant. The officer arrests the driver for the warrant. Prior to this decision, officers could then search the passenger compartment or any part of the car the driver could reasonably reach (wing span rule) for contraband. That rule no longer applies with this new case law.

However, the following vehicle searches are still permissable:

1) Probable Cause- The officer has probable cause to believe a vehicle contains contraband or evidence of a crime, and the vehicle is "readily mobile." Pennsylvaniav Labron, US v Ross.

2)Consent Searches "Always say no :)." Ohio v Robinette

3)Probation and Parole Searches, when aware of parole status and probationer's search terms. People v Reyes, Samson v California

4)Vehicle Frisk for Weapons-During a lawful contact, with reasonable suspicion occupants are armes. Michigan v Long

5)Inventory Searches-When a vehicle is legally impounded to determine content and conditions. This must be done consisten with agency policy. Florida v Wells (This is the type of search done in this case. As long as the dep followed department policy, it is a good search. He had cause to tow it for VC 22651(h)-Driver Arrested.)

Good luck fighting your ticket.
Ticketassassin.com... ooh yeah.