Thread: Carry West of Waukesha

Post imported post

So far I have carried at the Gander Mountain just north of Madison and tonight my wife and I had dinner (Wednesday night ribs and shimp-great stuff) at the Pine Cone right by the Interstate at Johnson Creek. All went well.

This weekend will carry as I shop in Watertown.
    Jim Burgess
    NRA Lifetime

Post imported post

A place that serves ribs but not beer? That's tough to believe.
    - What da hay?

Keep Calm and Carry On

Post imported post

It's part of a big truck stop place if I remember.

Post imported post

Carried today while shopping at Kohls Department Store by Johnson Creek. No issues.
    Jim Burgess
    NRA Lifetime

Post imported post

Today OCed while shopping at Walmart in Watertown. It was very difficult to get anyone to even notice the gun. No issues.
    Jim Burgess
    NRA Lifetime

Post imported post

Fine job, comp. Let's keep it rolling people, who else carries in this area.

And comp you are correct about people not noticing. I carried for AN HOUR at pick-n-save in Waukesha last week and hardly a soul noticed. The busier the store, the more distracted people are I think!

Post imported post

Today OCed in Watertown at Walmart again and at Pick N Save. Once again no problems. I am beginning to come to the conclusion that if you just act normal and conduct yourself professionally that people just don't give it another thought.
    Jim Burgess
    NRA Lifetime

Post imported post

comp45acp wrote:
    Today OCed in Watertown at Walmart again and at Pick N Save. Once again no problems. I am beginning to come to the conclusion that if you just act normal and conduct yourself professionally that people just don't give it another thought.
    Indeed! People who see a gun in a holster on a hip (the way COPS carry) will evaluate whether you are a threat. When you are walking around at a normal pace pushing a cart and comparing prices, they can clearly see that this person is not a threat!

Post imported post

I just spent about an hour at the Watertown Walmart shopping while OCing.
    A number of people did notice today but none said anything. Walked right up to an Asst. Manager and asked where to find something. I have been there a number of times now with no issues.
    Jim Burgess
    NRA Lifetime

Post imported post

Today carried at the BP gas station and the attached McDonalds on Hwy. 26 at Johnson Creek, then at the self-serve car wash across the street. No problems.
    Jim Burgess
    NRA Lifetime

Post imported post

comp45acp wrote:
    Today carried at the BP gas station and the attached McDonalds on Hwy. 26 at Johnson Creek, then at the self-serve car wash across the street. No problems.
    Anybody who's still sitting on the fence about OC needs to re-read every non-eventful OC experience posted on this website....

Post imported post

Last night OCed again at the Pine Cone truck stop at Johnson Creek while having dinner with my wife. A few people noticed but nothing was said.
    Jim Burgess
    NRA Lifetime

Post imported post

This afternoon carried at the Johnson Creek Outlet Mall-went to 3 stores-then over to the BP to fill up with gas and into the attached McDonalds to get a shake. No problems.
    Jim Burgess
    NRA Lifetime

Post imported post

Today spent an hour shopping with my wife at the Menards by Johnson Creek. The store was packed with people. There were no problems whatever.
    Jim Burgess
    NRA Lifetime

Post imported post

Cullvers in Johnson Creek.

One too many Ls in Culvers.
    Jim Burgess
    NRA Lifetime

Post imported post

Gander Mountain by Madison again today for about 45 minutes. Walked up to a manager and asked him about what day of they week they usually get primers, etc. He told me then asked if I was a police officer. "No sir, legally armed citizen". He said he didn't know that people could actually do that. Explained the whole thing to him. He thanked me and went on to help another customer.
    Jim Burgess
    NRA Lifetime

Centurion

Post imported post

"No sir, legally armed citizen".
    I like that response.

I've pondered what response I should give when asked that. Depending on the person, I've THOUGHT about saying this when asked if I'm a cop: "No, I'm permitted under Article 1 section 25"

I've never said that, and I don't know if "permitted" is a bad word. maybe "authorized" is better. But I've pondered what the best response is.

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar

Post imported post

I agree, that is an excellent response. I think I'll have to start using that.
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Post imported post

McDonalds (Johnson Creek) for breakfast-sat within hearing of a mother, son, daughter-Son (probably 17) says to mom-"Hey mom, there's one of those open carry law guys". Mom to son "oh ya, now which store do want to go to first at the mall?"

Then to Walmart (Watertown) shopping for about an hour. Talked to the gal at the sporting goods counter for some time about the ammo shortage while getting my Sportsman's License. She saw the gun but never mentioned it.
    Jim Burgess
    NRA Lifetime

Post imported post

Perkins at Delafield with my wife for breakfast, the place was packed and had to wait for 20 minutes for a table. Then to Petco for some shopping. No issues.
    Jim Burgess
    NRA Lifetime

Post imported post

Last night went to the Pine Cone truck stop again for dinner with my wife, this afternoon Vitamin World at the Outlet Mall in Johnson Creek, Pick N Save and Kwik Trip in Watertown. I won't post anymore from this area unless there are problems as it has become a total non issue-just as it should be.
    Jim Burgess
    NRA Lifetime

Post imported post

Most OC'ers go through the same 5 phases.

First time, you feel quite nervous, figuring everyone is looking at you and might get upset or call a cop. Nothing happens. Whew! Kind of liberating/exhilarating!

The next few times, "nothing" continues to happen, you feel more confident and relaxed.

After a few more times of "nothing", you kind of wish someone would say something so you have a chance to spread the word and educate folks.

Eventually someone says something, but its kind of a non-event, because its something pretty bland: "Are you a cop?" or "Can you do that legally?" or "Nice gun!"

Finally, you just go on with your regular business, and only get an occasional comment. Which is fine, because "That's how it should be".

P.S. I really liked the one where mom says "Oh ya, now which store do you want to go to first..."
    :celebrate