• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry West of Waukesha

comp45acp

imported post

So far I have carried at the Gander Mountain just north of Madison and tonight my wife and I had dinner (Wednesday night ribs and shimp-great stuff) at the Pine Cone right by the Interstate at Johnson Creek. All went well.

This weekend will carry as I shop in Watertown.

comp45acp

imported post

Today OCed while shopping at Walmart in Watertown. It was very difficult to get anyone to even notice the gun. No issues.

smithman

imported post

Fine job, comp. Let's keep it rolling people, who else carries in this area.

And comp you are correct about people not noticing. I carried for AN HOUR at pick-n-save in Waukesha last week and hardly a soul noticed. The busier the store, the more distracted people are I think!

comp45acp

imported post

Today OCed in Watertown at Walmart again and at Pick N Save. Once again no problems. I am beginning to come to the conclusion that if you just act normal and conduct yourself professionally that people just don't give it another thought.

smithman

imported post

comp45acp wrote:
Today OCed in Watertown at Walmart again and at Pick N Save. Once again no problems. I am beginning to come to the conclusion that if you just act normal and conduct yourself professionally that people just don't give it another thought.
Indeed! People who see a gun in a holster on a hip (the way COPS carry) will evaluate whether you are a threat. When you are walking around at a normal pace pushing a cart and comparing prices, they can clearly see that this person is not a threat!

comp45acp

imported post

I just spent about an hour at the Watertown Walmart shopping while OCing.
A number of people did notice today but none said anything. Walked right up to an Asst. Manager and asked where to find something. I have been there a number of times now with no issues.

comp45acp

imported post

Today carried at the BP gas station and the attached McDonalds on Hwy. 26 at Johnson Creek, then at the self-serve car wash across the street. No problems.

smithman

imported post

comp45acp wrote:
Today carried at the BP gas station and the attached McDonalds on Hwy. 26 at Johnson Creek, then at the self-serve car wash across the street. No problems.
Anybody who's still sitting on the fence about OC needs to re-read every non-eventful OC experience posted on this website....

comp45acp

imported post

Last night OCed again at the Pine Cone truck stop at Johnson Creek while having dinner with my wife. A few people noticed but nothing was said.

comp45acp

imported post

This afternoon carried at the Johnson Creek Outlet Mall-went to 3 stores-then over to the BP to fill up with gas and into the attached McDonalds to get a shake. No problems.

comp45acp

imported post

Today spent an hour shopping with my wife at the Menards by Johnson Creek. The store was packed with people. There were no problems whatever.

comp45acp

imported post

Gander Mountain by Madison again today for about 45 minutes. Walked up to a manager and asked him about what day of they week they usually get primers, etc. He told me then asked if I was a police officer. "No sir, legally armed citizen". He said he didn't know that people could actually do that. Explained the whole thing to him. He thanked me and went on to help another customer.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

"No sir, legally armed citizen".
I like that response.

I've pondered what response I should give when asked that. Depending on the person, I've THOUGHT about saying this when asked if I'm a cop: "No, I'm permitted under Article 1 section 25"

I've never said that, and I don't know if "permitted" is a bad word. maybe "authorized" is better. But I've pondered what the best response is.

comp45acp

imported post

McDonalds (Johnson Creek) for breakfast-sat within hearing of a mother, son, daughter-Son (probably 17) says to mom-"Hey mom, there's one of those open carry law guys". Mom to son "oh ya, now which store do want to go to first at the mall?"

Then to Walmart (Watertown) shopping for about an hour. Talked to the gal at the sporting goods counter for some time about the ammo shortage while getting my Sportsman's License. She saw the gun but never mentioned it.

comp45acp

imported post

Perkins at Delafield with my wife for breakfast, the place was packed and had to wait for 20 minutes for a table. Then to Petco for some shopping. No issues.