• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carrying

BreakingTheMold

imported post

Here in Michigan you're required to be 21 years of age or older to obtain a CPL. I bought my first pistol at the age of 19:banghead: and after educating my self on the issue; I began openly carrying my hand gun.

I open carry for many reasons: It's a right that is seldom used, and a right unused is a right lost.

The ability to educate others on my states open carry laws, as well as the nations Rights as a whole, not just the 2 A.

As well as showing people that the younger generations are not all bad. That there are a few intelligent and responsible ones in the bunch. If firearms in general, not just openly carried handguns. Are not adopted responsibly by the youth of the nation, the irrational fears will continue to propagate. Which would soon result in the loss of a tradition as old as the nation itself.

When people talk about firearms as though they themselves are evil. And speak of dissolving our rights. Where does the line stop? How many rights do we really need?

"Technology by it's very nature is neutral. It is not until we impose our will that it becomes evil"

Glad to be here at Open Carry!:celebrate
Mike

hansolo

Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
imported post

I am 18. Good to see other kids OCing.

Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty, teeth and keystone under independence. The church, the plow, the prairie wagon and citizens' firearms are indelibly related. From the hour the pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurrences and tendencies prove that, to ensure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. Every corner of this land knows firearms, and more than 99 and 99/100 percent of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil influence. They deserve a place of honor with all that's good. When firearms go, all goes. We need them every hour.
- George Washington

The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on the other hand arms, like laws, discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as property. The same balance would be preserved were all the world destitute of arms, for all would be alike; but since some will not, others dare not lay them aside … Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
- Thomas Paine

DokWatson

imported post

I'll be 19 in July and I open carry as well here in Alaska. I agree, Not all young people are idiots, If I didn't have a strong belief in our rights and American way of life... I wouldn't have enlisted when I was 17.

j w mathews

imported post

I would urge those under 21 to review the laws in their own states regarding POSSESSION of handguns. Federal law prohibits persons under 21 from buying handguns from licensed dealers, and that law trumps any state law on the subject.

POSSESSION is a different matter and state laws can vary on that subject. It would be a shame if some young OC'er were to be arrested for violating a possession statute in some state.

If you are carrying for self-defense, I would also urge you to read the criminal laws in your state regarding use of force & justifiable homicide. You might want to get a lawyer to tell you what they mean & how various court cases have applied the law in shooting incidents in your state. Such knowledge might save you a great deal of trouble.

No offense intended to anyone, and it is nice to see that some young people are behaving responsibly with firearms. (This post is from a senior citizen.)

BreakingTheMold

imported post

j w mathews wrote:
I would urge those under 21 to review the laws in their own states regarding POSSESSION of handguns. Federal law prohibits persons under 21 from buying handguns from licensed dealers, and that law trumps any state law on the subject.

POSSESSION is a different matter and state laws can vary on that subject. It would be a shame if some young OC'er were to be arrested for violating a possession statute in some state.

If you are carrying for self-defense, I would also urge you to read the criminal laws in your state regarding use of force & justifiable homicide. You might want to get a lawyer to tell you what they mean & how various court cases have applied the law in shooting incidents in your state. Such knowledge might save you a great deal of trouble.

No offense intended to anyone, and it is nice to see that some young people are behaving responsibly with firearms. (This post is from a senior citizen.)

Michigan is 18 years old for the private purchase of a handgun, with a license to purchase, as well as OC. Thank you for your concern though. If anything...it's the problem of buying the ammunition. Which federally stores can't sell to anyone under 21:banghead:. Oh well

j w mathews

imported post

Thanx for the info. Sorry to hear about the problems those under 21 have re buying ammo (in MI or elsewhere).

I am glad to see younger people interested in guns and lawful gun ownership, because the future of our country's gun rights rests with you. The older gun buffs won't be around forever, you know.

hansolo

Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
imported post

If I can remember correctly, the Federal law states that ammunition meant "only" for handguns can be sold to those 21 and older. Since almost all calibers can be shot in both rifles and handguns, buying ammo for a handgun while under 21 by saying that it is for a rifle breaks no federal law.

In Colorado one must be 18 to possess a handgun. Thank you for your concern.