• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW question

bmeldrum

imported post

Okay so I have a question regarding permits and if there is anything in the law about this situation: where i work it is a call center in a small office complex (I would prefer to not mention where I work or what I do I'm afraid something would get back to them and they would know it is me as I have been the only employee to have asked about this and as far as I know am the only one to have obtained a CCW), the total employees inside the office is about 15, just a small office building, it's not a federal or government building just your normal everyday office building. In the work policy it states no firearms, drugs etc on the premises. I opened my mouth to ask if that applied to me as I have a concealed weapons permit. 1) should I have not done that, because they would have never have known, 2) it also states that if not followed one could be subject to termination. In talking with them they had no problem with it being in my vehicle but inside I was to follow this rule. 3) can they do that even when one has a permit?

One of the reasons I brought it up was because I wanted to follow the rules and not be breaking any laws etc and if I hadn't told them and say my jacket or something opened up and they or another employee saw it I could have been terminated. Now that they know I've been asked to keep it in the car. I can't switch jobs as I like what I do but I just wanted to know for those who are familiar with the law or if someone could shed some light on the subject just how in having a CCW you can still be forced to not carry, doesn't make sense. How would they know unless they search all employees but now they know and if they find me carrying even if concealed and with permit I could lose my job. Any thoughts?

LovesHisXD45

imported post

It's private property, so you have to follow their rules. However, you can legally store it in your vehicle in their parking lot if it is out of sight and the car is locked. However, I'm not sure if this has actually become law just yet. It was slated to take effect on May 11th last I checked. As far as the law is concerned, you can legally carry at work, but once you are discovered, you will be at the mercy of your employer as to the fate of your job. If you carried a 38 with Federal Hydrashocks in a smart carry holster, you will probably NEVER be "made" at work, lol, unless somebody hides a camera in the bathroom stall; just a thought. :) heheheh

This thread might help a bit too.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/22993.html

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

SB 78 will become effective onTuesday. http://www.le.state.ut.us/~2009/htmdoc/sbillhtm/SB0078S02.htm

If you are concerned that your employer nowknows, it might be in your best interest to keep your sidearm in your vehicle for a while.

That way if they do question you about it, you will be covered by Utah law. So to answer your questions...

1) The "concealed guys" usually say "concealed is concealed" or "don't ask, don't tell." (Sounds less than honest, eh?)

2) If your employment is at will and youviolate thier rules, you are subject to termination.

3) Yes, unless they are a State Entity. You are permitted by the State to conceal a firearm, not your employer.

bmeldrum

imported post

Thanks everyone that is very helpful. It just wasn't a good day at work yesterday, had to go out shooting afterwards just to blow off some steam. Yes my work is an 'at will' so I guess i need to do as they say. But I'll give it a couple days, a week and than start packin again. Iagree with the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy. I'll remember that from now on.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Yup. Employers are still too afraid of the legal backlash that they think they will suffer if somebody goes postal with a firearm. It is the "spurr of the moment" psychological mindset of someone becoming unstable or loosing their temper and having immediate access to a sidearm on their person that makes the sheeple paranoid.

Kevin

Bennelli

imported post

Private property leave it in the car, in a lock box in case someone breaks into your car. You never know if the people you told know some BGs and they call their buddies and tell them where you car is located, or they just mention it to someone and the janitor over hears it and ....:what: