Thread: Tried for a 626.9 exemption

Post imported post

I tried getting a 626.9 exemption from a few schools in my area for some of my activities and I was turned down... LAME!

Here are the letters that were sent back to me.

Post imported post

How a private individual should be in charge of allowing another private individual the exercise of their 2nd Amendment carry rights in the commons sounds like a textbook case of prior restraint to me.

Now that you have been denied, you may even qualify as an injured party to 626.9.

Founder's Club Member MudCamper's Avatar

Post imported post

Here's what I wonder. If you get mugged in one of those zones, isn't the school now liable for that? If they deny your right to carry, aren't they obligated to protect?

State Researcher

Post imported post

MudCamper wrote:
    Here's what I wonder. If you get mugged in one of those zones, isn't the school now liable for that? If they deny your right to carry, aren't they obligated to protect?
    They aren't obligated to protect. Not even the cops are. However, they could be civilly liable as they chose to be party to denying your right to carry.

It would be interesting to see someone sue the state, the legislature, the school district, and each individual involved in each of those entities. Not sure if it would be fruitful, but it would definitely be interesting.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

TOTALLY.

Sounds like every open carrier in CA should be writing letters to every administrator of every school they regularly pass by and start building a folio of "denied" letters in the chance they are later attacked in these zones, a suit might have teeth.

I dream of the day 626.9 is overturned. A school ends at their property line, the commons begins at that demarcation, those commons should not be freedom suspension zones simply due to being adjacent to a school.

Post imported post

wayneco wrote:
    TOTALLY.

Sounds like every open carrier in CA should be writing letters to every administrator of every school they regularly pass by and start building a folio of "denied" letters in the chance they are later attacked in these zones, a suit might have teeth.

I dream of the day 626.9 is overturned. A school ends at their property line, the commons begins at that demarcation, those commons should not be freedom suspension zones simply due to being adjacent to a school.
    Sounds good. I will compile an email list when I get the chance

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Sons of Liberty's Avatar

Post imported post

Pullnshoot25, could you share the content of your request? I've got two school zonesnear my house that infringe into areas where I normally walk without carrying. If I UOC on my walk, I am fairly restricted on where I can walk. I think I might like to go on record with the school district with my request, too. (Do you think that people who make such requests go into some sort of database?)
    Clinging to God & Guns: The Constitution Restoration Project

Post imported post

Wow, the responses (denials) are almost verbatim! Form letter response.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

Are superintendents in charge of school Districts or all schools within a county? Sometimes there can be multiple districts within a single county or city, especially here in CA.
    Gun control isn't about guns -- it is about control.

Post imported post

Here's an idea for a follow-up letter. If I have time to dig up contact info, I may do it myself.

Dear ______
    Have you ever been mugged? If so, did you try your "message of non-violent dispute resolution"? If so, did it work?

Post imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
    Here's an idea for a follow-up letter. If I have time to dig up contact info, I may do it myself.

Dear ______
    Have you ever been mugged? If so, did you try your "message of non-violent dispute resolution"? If so, did it work?
    Or, how about this one

Ask them if this guy would really stop to engage in the type of reasonable dialog that could result in a "non-violent dispute resolution."

Founder's Club Member MudCamper's Avatar

Post imported post

Further, your request appears inconsistent with the message of non-violent dispute resolution that the district encourages in its diverse student populations.
    WTF does this have to do with dealing with muggers or rapists or serial killers? This is so far out of touch with reality it is frakin scary. These people are clearly clueless idiots and there is no point in engaging them in any capacity. We just need to take our rights back via the courts.

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

Further, your request appears inconsistent with the message of non-violent dispute resolution that the district encourages in its diverse student populations.
    The school district may well attempt to encourage certain behavior in its student populations, but everyone in the district isn't a student!

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bad_ace's Avatar

Post imported post

wrightme wrote:
    Wow, the responses (denials) are almost verbatim!* Form letter response.
    First thing I thought when I read them, very boilerplate. I wonder if getting to know the system they use would help. For instance, does the super even see these? Would he/she be more open to approval if he/she knew you and understood your intentions?

I'll try in my neck of the woods (Face to face meeting then the letter).
    Pullnshoot25, would you PM your letter so I'll have a starting off point?

Most people don't want to take the time to write a response, I might even type up a positive response letter for the super to just agree to and sign. The letter could have clear language that states I'd only like to pass through the zone and never step foot on school grounds while UOC. Or even a reduction in the radius.