Thread: Sen Chuck Colgan Speaks Out of Both Sides of His Mouth...

Post imported post

In a meeting in Manassas with the Rotary Club, Sen. Colgan appears to approve of SB1035 as quoted by the article...

During a question and answer session, Colgan told club members he didn't know why the governor vetoed a bill that would have allowed people to carry concealed weapons into bars.

"I didn't think it was a bad bill," Colgan said.
    Tell me, then, Mr. Colgan, If you didn't think it was a bad bill why is it that you voted against the bill in the Senate, then voted against it yet again after it had come back to the Senate from the House, then voted against it yet one more time when it came time to consider the Governor's veto of the bill?

Source

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

He's a politician, what did you expect.

Maybe we should all send him an email calling him out on his lie.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Truth, honor and consistency from a politician - not likely.

Next time try asking him publicly your questions.

When you go to the poll, vote on their record not on which side of his mouth he last spoke.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Can you elaborate on this statement? Not sure where you are going with this...

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    Only that it would have been nice if someone had asked him publicly to explain his voting record on the issue. Not a direct reference to you.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    vrwmiller wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    Only that it would have been nice if someone had asked him publicly to explain his voting record on the issue. Not a direct reference to you.
    Ahh, yes. I certainly agree.

I've actually followed this up with an email to Mr. Colgan earlier. We'll see if I get a timely response. Will post it here when/if I get it.

Post imported post

I finally received a response to my inquiry...

Thank you for your e-mail. I regret it has taken me sometime to respond, however, I have been "under the weather," for a few weeks.

My re-action to your e-mail is "I just screwed up," and I thank you for bringing this to my attention. I have no excuse for voting contrary to the way I intended. I really had no problems with SB-1035 and I have apologized to the patron, Senator Emmett Hangar. The only excuse I can offer for the confusion is the massive amount of bills we vote on, especially the last days of the session (less week ends). According to the Senate Clerk, a Senator votes about 3,000 times during the 45-day session. At times I find members can’t remember how they voted on certain bills. On this bill and in all three cases, I voted wrong.

I will do my best to correct this error if this bill is re-introduced in the 2010 session.

Again, thank you for your e-mail.

Sincerely yours,
    Charles J. Colgan

He also attached a letter that he has, allegedly, sent to the bill's patron, Emmett Hanger. Click here to see a word formatted document of the letter.

Take it all with a grain of salt. He has consistently voted to oppose much pro-2A legislation.

Post imported post

Well, at least he admitted to voting wrong. It's a start.

Post imported post

When his incumbency is overturned in November, I wonder if he'll graciously accept "We voted wrong" as a consolation for losing his seat?

What a tool.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.