• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sen Chuck Colgan Speaks Out of Both Sides of His Mouth...

vrwmiller

imported post

In a meeting in Manassas with the Rotary Club, Sen. Colgan appears to approve of SB1035 as quoted by the article...

During a question and answer session, Colgan told club members he didn't know why the governor vetoed a bill that would have allowed people to carry concealed weapons into bars.

"I didn't think it was a bad bill," Colgan said.
Tell me, then, Mr. Colgan, If you didn't think it was a bad bill why is it that you voted against the bill in the Senate, then voted against it yet again after it had come back to the Senate from the House, then voted against it yet one more time when it came time to consider the Governor's veto of the bill?

Source

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Truth, honor and consistency from a politician - not likely.

Next time try asking him publicly your questions.

When you go to the poll, vote on their record not on which side of his mouth he last spoke.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Can you elaborate on this statement? Not sure where you are going with this...
Only that it would have been nice if someone had asked him publicly to explain his voting record on the issue. Not a direct reference to you.

Yata hey

vrwmiller

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
vrwmiller wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Can you elaborate on this statement? Not sure where you are going with this...
Only that it would have been nice if someone had asked him publicly to explain his voting record on the issue. Not a direct reference to you.
Ahh, yes. I certainly agree.

I've actually followed this up with an email to Mr. Colgan earlier. We'll see if I get a timely response. Will post it here when/if I get it.

vrwmiller

imported post

I finally received a response to my inquiry...

[align=justify]
Thank you for your e-mail. I regret it has taken me sometime to respond, however, I have been "under the weather," for a few weeks.

My re-action to your e-mail is "I just screwed up," and I thank you for bringing this to my attention. I have no excuse for voting contrary to the way I intended. I really had no problems with SB-1035 and I have apologized to the patron, Senator Emmett Hangar. The only excuse I can offer for the confusion is the massive amount of bills we vote on, especially the last days of the session (less week ends). According to the Senate Clerk, a Senator votes about 3,000 times during the 45-day session. At times I find members can’t remember how they voted on certain bills. On this bill and in all three cases, I voted wrong.

I will do my best to correct this error if this bill is re-introduced in the 2010 session.

Again, thank you for your e-mail.

Sincerely yours,
Charles J. Colgan
[/align]

He also attached a letter that he has, allegedly, sent to the bill's patron, Emmett Hanger. Click here to see a word formatted document of the letter.

Take it all with a grain of salt. He has consistently voted to oppose much pro-2A legislation.

wylde007

imported post

When his incumbency is overturned in November, I wonder if he'll graciously accept "We voted wrong" as a consolation for losing his seat?

What a tool.