• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Intresting CCW VS OC story

younggun20

imported post

I was at the store yesterday :)celebrateblue boutique:celebrate) and as I was looking around i noticed a man OCing. I didnt pay much attention to it, But someone else did... as i was leaning over to grab something off the lower shelf the girl behind the counter nearly yells "Hey i can see your gun!" Immediately about 6 men and 2 women reach for different parts of their body confirming their SA was concealed. As we all looked around at eachother it was kind of funny to see a near room full people with their hand on their hip, purse, ankle, ETC. Made me feel very safe.

Which also makes me think. In 1 place in 1 part of town approximetly 10 people are carrying. Why is there still crime? Are people afraid to interfere with a robbery or such? Do they not feel a need? Do they not feel in danger and have the right to draw? i understand the rules and regulations behind drawing your weapon, but also i wonder if someone would have tried to rob that store right then would anyone have drawn?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome to OCDO! :celebrate Great first post!

My opinion... The reason that crime is rampant in spite of all of the armed citizens, I believe is this...

Some people that advocate concealed carry say that "the criminals don't know who is armed, and that keeps them second guessing".

I think "the criminals don't see the concealed gun, and assume it is not there" because chances are, it's not. Well, unless you are at Blue Boutique!

If everybody in Utah that carried a sidearm did so openly, do you think crime would go up, down, or remain the same?

I submit that crooks in Utah would move back to kalifornia, where it is safer for them.

younggun20

imported post

I agree. I love the idea of CC just because its no ones business but my own if I choose to carry. But OC will definitely cut back on crime.... or atleast post pone it until we walk out.

scorpioajr

imported post

younggun20 wrote:
....Immediately about 6 men and 2 women reach for different parts of their body confirming their SA was concealed...funny to see a near room full people with their hand on their hip, purse, ankle, ETC....
Best story of 2009!

younggun20

imported post

Bennelli wrote:
What were you reaching for on the bottom self? :lol:Oh wait, I don't want to know!:p
Well on the bottom shelves are where they keep their um... candy bars and cotton candy.. ya thats it candy bars and cotton candy....

UTOC-45-44

imported post

younggun20 wrote:
Bennelli wrote:
What were you reaching for on the bottom self? :lol:Oh wait, I don't want to know!:p
Well on the bottom shelves are where they keep their um... candy bars and cotton candy.. ya thats it candy bars and cotton candy....
That's what she said too:what:...:lol:

bmeldrum

imported post

Bennelli wrote:
I am sure most everyone has seen this clip, but this story reminded me of this YouTube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt7FDTpzGvo

"Shopping in Texas"
:D
LOL! That is the best dam video I have seen... That is Awesome!

Hell if I'm in a store or who knows where & someone comes in trying to rob the place or who knows what I'm going to draw. Just the other day I was talking to a neighbor about this very subject& they were like you would feel okay pulling your gun out and using it if you had to? I said yeah I would feel okay and if I shot someone I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, especially if the person is breaking the law, doing something to threat myself, my family or other parties, hell yeah I'll shot (they were shocked because I'm very LDS, in the Elders quorum Presidency and I guess they didn't expect that from me) I'm not just going to sit back and let something happen especially if i have the means to put an end to it etc.

Bennelli

imported post

One may think those thoughts, but never say them out loud, that's coming from one brother to other!

bmeldrum wrote:
Bennelli wrote:
I am sure most everyone has seen this clip, but this story reminded me of this YouTube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt7FDTpzGvo

"Shopping in Texas"
:D
LOL! That is the best dam video I have seen... That is Awesome!

Hell if I'm in a store or who knows where & someone comes in trying to rob the place or who knows what I'm going to draw. Just the other day I was talking to a neighbor about this very subject& they were like you would feel okay pulling your gun out and using it if you had to? I said yeah I would feel okay and if I shot someone I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, especially if the person is breaking the law, doing something to threat myself, my family or other parties, hell yeah I'll shot (they were shocked because I'm very LDS, in the Elders quorum Presidency and I guess they didn't expect that from me) I'm not just going to sit back and let something happen especially if i have the means to put an end to it etc.

goosemama

imported post

I have been saying the same thing ever since I started to OC. If the criminals can see that you are armed and if more people did the same, we would see a dramatic drop in the crime rates.

mqondo

imported post

Bennelli wrote:
One may think those thoughts, but never say them out loud, that's coming from one brother to other!
Just curious as to why you say he shouldn't say that... I don't go around telling people that I would shoot if necessary, but if I was talking to a friend or something, I would tell them that. IMO there is nothing wrong with it. I'm sure any LEO out there would say the exact same thing. If someone's life is in danger and you can stop the aggressor, you should really do it. That's why you have a gun with you. To save lives. I don't carry just because I like the extra weight. I carry to protect myself and those around me, especially the ones I love and care about.

vermonter

imported post

Benelli Quote: "if I shot someone I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, especially if the person is breaking the law, doing something to threat myself, my family or other parties, hell yeah I'll shot (they were shocked because I'm very LDS"

It must be hard being a devout Christian and knowing if you did have to shoot and kill someone you would be breaking one of the 10 commandments! I have a lot of respect that you are willing to break from the peaceful teachings of Jesus to defend yourself or another human being! Thats why I am not a church goer, although not a man of violence I could not restrain myself if being attacked to keep from using force thus being condemned to an eternity in hell.

QUOTE: "Peter used the sword to accomplish his goal- Jesus’ response -- We are not to live by force or violence, Your life is not to be ruled by a response of force, but by love".

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Commandment in question didn't actually say "Thou shalt no kill." That's a common misconception. It originally said "Thou shalt not murder", a very big difference. The Commandment was against the unwarranted taking of life, not against all killing in general. The King James people simply made a translational error; easy to do when the original texts were in ancient Hebrew. I've heard the two words, and they sound fairly similar. I wish more ministers and priests would make a point of clarifying this for their parishioners. An awful lot of guilt has occurred needlessly.

vermonter

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
The Commandment in question didn't actually say..............
  It originally said.....................

Thank you for clarifying that, you are right Dutch Uncle! The above excerpts prove what I regularly get into arguments about with evangelists and zealots. Man convoluted and RE-wrote the original text, probably many times. I hate it when people interpret the bible to suit their needs. I listen to nothing from the idiots at the pulpit or out of a book printed by man. The fact is all of know what is right and wrong and what Jesus would approve of. I am sure Jesus would approve the preservation of life be it a unborn child or your family from a would be murderer! I am sure he didn't preach hate like many groups do.

When Jesus walks down the street I will be the first one following him to get the DIRECT message from HIM!!!!

Not to get off subject, just re-butting an original poster.....

NewZealandAmerican

Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb
imported post

vermonter wrote:
Benelli Quote: "if I shot someone I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, especially if the person is breaking the law, doing something to threat myself, my family or other parties, hell yeah I'll shot (they were shocked because I'm very LDS"

It must be hard being a devout Christian and knowing if you did have to shoot and kill someone you would be breaking one of the 10 commandments! I have a lot of respect that you are willing to break from the peaceful teachings of Jesus to defend yourself or another human being! Thats why I am not a church goer, although not a man of violence I could not restrain myself if being attacked to keep from using force thus being condemned to an eternity in hell.

QUOTE: "Peter used the sword to accomplish his goal- Jesus’ response -- We are not to live by force or violence, Your life is not to be ruled by a response of force, but by love".
In your second paragraph yourefer tothe commandment "Thou shalt not kill" completely out of context with what the Lord intended. Thou shalt not kill specifically refers to the "shedding" of innocent blood or in other words to take an INNOCENT life or thou shalt not MURDER. BIG DIFFERENCE between KILLING and MURDERING! It is not possible to call an "attacker" who has intent to seriously injure or kill you, a loved one or an innocent bystander an "innocent person or innocent blood" now is it??

As for the third paragraph Jesusintent wasthat there is a time and place for everything, that at that specific moment it was not appropriate for Paul to intervene in Jesus' defense as that would have frustrated the Father's plan for His Son Jesus Christ to willingly submit Himself to His enemy in order to follow through with His mission to atone for our sins. So Paul was honoring and obeying Christ by being armed to be able to defend himself and Christ, but just at this specific time Christ did not want Paul to intervene with force for Him.

I don't have the scriptural reference immediatley availble to give you just now but there isa specific verse in which Christ couselled his disciples (including us) to purchase a sword (in our time, a gun) in order that we can defend ourselves from a robber, but that if we could not afford to buy a sword (gun) that we should sell our cloak so that we could buy one.

NewZealandAmerican

Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb
imported post

NewZealandAmerican wrote:
vermonter wrote:

In your second paragraph yourefer tothe commandment "Thou shalt not kill" completely out of context with what the Lord intended. Thou shalt not kill specifically refers to the "shedding" of innocent blood or in other words to take an INNOCENT life or thou shalt not MURDER. BIG DIFFERENCE between KILLING and MURDERING! It is not possible to call an "attacker" who has intent to seriously injure or kill you, a loved one or an innocent bystander an "innocent person or innocent blood" now is it??

As for the third paragraph Jesusintent wasthat there is a time and place for everything, that at that specific moment it was not appropriate for Paul to intervene in Jesus' defense as that would have frustrated the Father's plan for His Son Jesus Christ to willingly submit Himself to His enemy in order to follow through with His mission to atone for our sins. So Paul was honoring and obeying Christ by being armed to be able to defend himself and Christ, but just at this specific time Christ did not want Paul to intervene with force for Him.

I don't have the scriptural reference immediatley availble to give you just now but there isa specific verse in which Christ couselled his disciples (including us) to purchase a sword (in our time, a gun) in order that we can defend ourselves from a robber, but that if we could not afford to buy a sword (gun) that we should sell our cloak so that we could buy one.
OOps, nevermind Vermonter, I just now noticed your following post to the one I replied to and see that you are already on the same page with me, my bad! I guess I will just leave it intact because it may be of use to someone else who may read both of our posts who feel that Christ opposes the use of deadly force to defend one's life. Cheers my friend in LIBERTY!