• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Revolver vs. Semi-Auto

I prefer to carry a revolver or auto for OC.

• Revolver belt holster.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Revolver shoulder holster.

• Revolver bandoleer style.

• Revolver other.

• Semi-Auto inside waist band.

• Semi-Auto belt holster.

• Semi-Auto shoulder holster.

• Semi-Auto bandoleer style.

• Semi-Auto other.

• Total voters

NightOwl

imported post

I voted based on the assumption that it meant semi-auto. No, I don't carry a fully automatic weapon on my belt.

ace1001

imported post

What is theSemi-automatic other carrythat is winning? Thigh rig? Ace

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

I'm glad you put which mode of carry is "preferred' because I carry IWB at work all day long (printing like crazy but no one's said anything, go figure) and as soon as I get home the first thing I do is get my OWB holster out and let a big sigh of relief.

ace1001

imported post

That would not be OC in a pocket unless the grips were exposed. I didn't have ankle carry for the same reason. Ace

ace1001

imported post

So far, autos are 75% of the OC guns. I should have specified off duty. That would have been interesting. Autos are probably 90% of duty weapons. Ace

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I did not vote becuase:
Well, I carry both, and different styles for each. and I am a lefty for shooting.

I am in an "Open-Carry Only" state, so when i have the revolver on me it getscarried in a nylon clip-on holster with a belt through the belt loop on the holster,
When I lived in FL I used the same holster, but placed in the pants in the small of my back with no belt. (I mostly wore shorts down there)

For my Desert Eagle, I wore a tactical holster on the thigh, and that gun was still too large to be carried in a holster. So I am downsizing to a G23, I'll let you know what I find comfortable with that when it gets here.

architect

imported post

ace1001 wrote:
That would not be OC in a pocket unless the grips were exposed.
Maybe it is just a "VA (un)tuck" thing.

VA requires OC in restaurants. (I have heard that) some/many CHP holders choose to disregard this law, but the few times I have actually seen someone expose their carry handgun, over half the time has been them hooking the handle on the lip of their pocket. It can be pretty done fairly discreetly, and, in fact has to be to preclude the appearance of brandishing. I do this myself and I don't think it has ever been noticed by anyone who is uninitiated.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Tough call, Multi-choice?

I have carried my revolver IWB whan I had CCW provisions, now I carry it OWB on a belt. I also carried a verylarge semi-auto in both a tactical leg holster and a bandolier holster due to it's size & weight would make any other method of carry impossible.

Now that I am getting a smaller lighter Semi-Auto, it is still going to by OWB and fully open due to state laws.

Fred Kenpo

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
I did not vote becuase:
Well, I carry both, and different styles for each. and I am a lefty for shooting.

I didn't vote for similar reasons. I have a pancake holster that can double as an IWB holster that allows me to carry my Ruger Redhawk. Prefer that when I carry that. But sometimes, I carry a semi-auto, and then I prefer a shoulder holster. It all depends!:exclaim:

curtm1911

imported post

In Town Carry: Taurus PT-1911 .45ACPin a Serpa left side @ about 9 o'clock

Camping/Hiking: Ruger Redhawk 5.5" barrel .44Magnumin a not so great Nylon holster, yes, I am going to get something better when I find and can afford it

Fred Kenpo

imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
In Town Carry: Taurus PT-1911 .45ACPin a Serpa left side @ about 9 o'clock

Camping/Hiking: Ruger Redhawk 5.5" barrel .44Magnumin a not so great Nylon holster, yes, I am going to get something better when I find and can afford it

Both good choices. I carry a Ruger Redhawk 5.75" barrel .44 Magnum in a Rob Leahy IWB pancake holster. It works great. I can carry it in town, and it is discreet. (This assumes someone paranoid and trained in gun detection, like an S.S. agent, isn't around.) Because I commute between town and woods a lot, my typical carry gun is my .357 S&W M&P model 340, 2" barrell, Scandium. Yes, it has a hell of a recoil, I feel it in my web, and it's not the original heavy duty .357, but it will stop even a grizzley if you shoot at the spinal chord at the base of the bear's neck, and if you are up close and personal with such a creature, it will be an adequate defense. (Yes, avoiding the bear, or spraying it with bear spray would probably be better.) The Ruger Redhawk is better for wilderness protection, and when I can, I carry it.

Buy a new holster, man. Your Ruger deserves it!

cREbralFIX

imported post

I currently don't have many retention holsters. I do have a DeSantis Thumb Break Scabbard for two of my guns. When I OC, I use either of those guns. However, I think the snap is too easy to defeat. I have a Safariland ALS on order.

**Occasionally** I'll OC with the gun in the appendix position in an IWB holster. I have more control over the weapon in this position, though some retention would be good (even if it's just a snap).

dukenukum

imported post

In town Hi-Point .45 in pro star holster two extra magazines in leather home made pouch .
camping / woods .357 Ruger new model Black hawk in Bianchi holster both holsters each have a dedicated belt .