• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Building a 1911 from scratch

RHVette

imported post

If you haven't already bought the parts, I feel I should warn you that building a 1911 is not like building an AR. There is going to be a lot of custom part fitting to get all of the various parts to fit together just right. It can be done, but it's a lot easier if you've got the proper (big) tools.

reconvic

imported post

First off I would get a good Frame and slide like Les Baers, second I love using cylinder and slide parts on my 1911, they are harderned steel and ground parts that fit all 1911 like a glove. It may cost more but if you are making it for self defense ask yourself how much is yours and your love ones worth .
Brownells has the parts I mentioned, I am a gunsmith and get a discount from them. If you have any questions just ask I will be happy to explain in detail.
S/F Vic