Thread: Gun Laws Wikipedia Page

Post imported post

I just changed this wikipedia page today and I've had to change it before. Every now and then someone goes in there and changes it to say that open carry is illegal in CT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)#Connectic ut

Yes, I know this happens all the time on wikipedia - people who don't know anything about the topic start editing it and dumping garbage into it. Still, I'd like to make sure it contains factual information, since a lot of people use wikipedia. So maybe some of you could help me keep an eye on it.

Thanks.

Post imported post

The wikipedia entry says that CT is a shall issue state. also inacurate. I'll change that
    MCS Precision - Training, Sales, Transfers, Estate Purchases

07 FFL
    NRA Pistol and Rifle Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Post imported post

i consider ct shall issue..they cannot ask you why you want it..i was not questioed at all..i know of not 1 person who was ever denied....and as long as they make a permit a requirement to buy a handgun it needs to be shall issue to comply with the supreme court...

Post imported post

The statute does not define what criteria the local authority may use to deny a temporary permit. This fact alone makes us a "may issue." While in practice CT may be "shall issue," if it's left up to the arbitrary policies and personal politics of the local issuing authority it can never be considered "shall issue."

In addition to that, because of a judges ruling, the time limits defined in the statute are directory provisions and therefore not mandatory. This means that even though the local authority is explicitly directed to respond within 8 weeks, and the DPS is explicitly required to respond within 8 weeks after that, they can take as long as they want.

This is even worse than I thought. When I got my permit, I didn't realize that the DPS had another 8 weeks after the temporary permit was approved. I was never issued a temporary permit, but luckily the whole process only took 6 weeks.

Post imported post

Arbitrary policies is right - I have a friend who lives in Hamden. They actually called his boss to ask about him before issuing the permit. Now everyone at his work knows about it.

Post imported post

Its funny that you say that.

Back when I got my permit in the early 90s, the chief of police in Hamden refused to take permit applications. That was back when you were actually getting a town permit first.

Don
    MCS Precision - Training, Sales, Transfers, Estate Purchases

07 FFL
    NRA Pistol and Rifle Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Post imported post

I did not really know of all these issues..i got mine in Windsor (suburb of hartford) in about 2 weeks..i know other people who got there's in Bloomfield, Canton, Granby, Windsor Locks, Enfield, East Windsor, Simsbury, through the State Police in Ellington, East Granby & Somers...never an issue...maybe its just where we live..