• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quiz questions for my son's government class

NytoVa

imported post

My son is doing a senior year high school government class report on federal and state firearm laws. I thought it would be interesting for him to give a quiz before his presentation. It's more for my personal interestandnot necessary forhis report.I have been trying to write the questions so all the answers are T = True.

I thought this forum would be a good source of questions. Below are the ones I've written so far. I'll post the results after his presentation.

Please add any questions you think appropriate.

1. It is legal in Virginia to open carry a firearm without a permit. T F

2. A person 18 years or older may open carry a firearm without a permit in Virginia. T F

3. You may open carry a firearm into a restaurant that serves alcohol. T F

4. You may carry a firearm into a library, city office building (excluding courthouses), or police station. T F

5. The 2nd amendment of the United States Constitution provides the basis for an individuals right to own firearms. T F

6. A permit is required in Virginia to conceal carry a firearm. T F

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

How about "In Virginia, a person with a valid concealed-carry permit can legally bring a loaded pistol in a car onto school grounds, as long as it remains in the car." T F

and

In Virginia, as in most states, a citizen can privately sell a pistol to another citizen 18 or older without going through a federally-licensed dealer, and said transaction doesn't involve any "loophole". T F (sorry, I couldn't help the last clause):p

doug23838

imported post

I'd use the quiz as an opportunity to educate. Consider the statistics you can glean from http://www.pulpless.com/gunclock/stats.html

some good stats here: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/guns.htm

I'd have to weave in there the frequency of shootings taking place at "gun free zones" like schools and how tie in the Appalachian law school incident and how that turned out differently, because two students had guns.

Let the students see that they aren't safer in a "gun free zone"

Good data here too: http://www.sovereignty.org.uk/siteinfo/newsround/gunlie.html

virginiatuck

imported post

I would form all of the statements with phrases straight out of the laws themselves. After all, if knowing the law is the point of all of this, excessive paraphrasing could cause confusion about what the law really is. And the government has, for the most part, already checked them for grammatical and spelling errors. :)

Here are a few choice T/F quiz statements. I threw in a lot of no-no's, and they're all very lengthy because they're just snipped, copied, and pasted right out of the code.

- No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. (True) ref. 15.2-915

- The governing body of any county or city may by ordinance make it unlawful for any person to transport, possess or carry a loaded shotgun or loaded rifle in any vehicle on any public street, road, or highway within such locality. (True) ref. 15.2-915.2

- Any person while in his own place of abode or the curtilage thereof may carry about his person, hidden from common observation any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material. (True) ref. 18.2-308

- It shall be unlawful for any person who has been adjudicated legally incompetent or mentally incapacitated whose competency or capacity has not been restored to purchase, possess, or transport any firearm. (True) ref. 18.2-308.1:2

- It shall be unlawful for any person who has been convicted of a felony, any person adjudicated delinquent as a juvenile 14 years of age or older at the time of the offense of murder, kidnapping, robbery by the threat or presentation of firearms, or rape to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport any firearm. (True) ref. 18.2-308.2

- It shall be unlawful for any person who is not a citizen of the United States and who is not lawfully present in the United States to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport any firearm. (True) ref. 18.2-308.2:01

- It shall be unlawful for any person under 18 years of age to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport a handgun or assault firearm anywhere in the Commonwealth except while in his home or on his property, while in the home or on the property of his parent, grandparent, or legal guardian; or while on the property of another who has provided prior permission, and with the prior permission of his parent or legal guardian. (True) ref. 18.2-308.7

Glock27Bill

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
I would form all of the statements with phrases straight out of the laws themselves. After all, if knowing the law is the point of all of this, excessive paraphrasing could cause confusion about what the law really is. And the government has, for the most part, already checked them for grammatical and spelling errors. :)

Here are a few choice T/F quiz statements. I threw in a lot of no-no's, and they're all very lengthy because they're just snipped, copied, and pasted right out of the code.

- No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. (True) ref. 15.2-915

- The governing body of any county or city may by ordinance make it unlawful for any person to transport, possess or carry a loaded shotgun or loaded rifle in any vehicle on any public street, road, or highway within such locality. (True) ref. 15.2-915.2

- Any person while in his own place of abode or the curtilage thereof may carry about his person, hidden from common observation any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material. (True) ref. 18.2-308

- It shall be unlawful for any person who has been adjudicated legally incompetent or mentally incapacitated whose competency or capacity has not been restored to purchase, possess, or transport any firearm. (True) ref. 18.2-308.1:2

- It shall be unlawful for any person who has been convicted of a felony, any person adjudicated delinquent as a juvenile 14 years of age or older at the time of the offense of murder, kidnapping, robbery by the threat or presentation of firearms, or rape to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport any firearm. (True) ref. 18.2-308.2

- It shall be unlawful for any person who is not a citizen of the United States and who is not lawfully present in the United States to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport any firearm. (True) ref. 18.2-308.2:01

- It shall be unlawful for any person under 18 years of age to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport a handgun or assault firearm anywhere in the Commonwealth except while in his home or on his property, while in the home or on the property of his parent, grandparent, or legal guardian; or while on the property of another who has provided prior permission, and with the prior permission of his parent or legal guardian. (True) ref. 18.2-308.7

Great idea citing the code directly.

The only thing I would add is the clarifier "in Virginia," so kids do not think these are nation-wide regs.

I'd also give them a fill in the blank for extra credit:

Name the best firearms salesman in recent history. :D

cREbralFIX

imported post

NytoVa wrote:
My son is doing a senior year high school government class report on federal and state firearm laws.  I thought it would be interesting for him to give a quiz before his presentation. It's more for my personal interest and not necessary for his report. I have been trying to write the questions so all the answers are T = True.

I thought this forum would be a good source of questions. Below are the ones I've written so far.  I'll post the results after his presentation.

Please add any questions you think appropriate.

5. The 2nd amendment of the United States Constitution provides the basis for an individuals right to own firearms.   T    F 

5. False.

SCOTUS ruled that the Federal amendments do not apply to state action. SCOTUS uses the rule of incorporation into the 14A via "due process" or "rights and privileges" clauses.

The answer is: Section 13 of the Commonwealth of Virginia constitution acknowledges the pre-existing right of an individual right to keep and bear arms.

Chet, on this forum, lost his court case because he sued under the wrong constitution. He went for 2A, when he should have sued under Section 13.

hsmith

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
You might want to reword No. 5. The 2nd Amendment guarantees a preexisting right, it doesn't provide a basis for anything.

Of course, you might use the appropriate article from the Virginia Constitution.
Well, if you want to get technical, it prohibits the government from infringing on it :p

richarcm

imported post

In some schools/colleges your son would be suspended or expelled for daring to give such an informative "extremist" view on guns. I think more kids should be taught to challenge (peacefully of course) the system.

curtiswr

imported post

Careful. Lately, students' reports, studies, and general interests concerning firearms have led to suspensions, expulsions, search warrants, and illegal seizures because of petrified, hoplophobic teachers and moronic parents.

NytoVa

imported post

Thanks for all the replies. The presentation is for his government class and isfocused on 2nd amendment issues. He only has 15 minutes so the quiz needed to be short & simple. Thats why I wanted all the answers to be true..no need to grade them.

Here are the questions. I'll tabulate the answers and post the results in the next few days.

1. It is legal to openly carry a firearm without a permit in Virginia. T F

2. A person 18 years or older may openly carry a firearm without a permit in Virginia. T F

3. You may openly carry a firearm into a restaurant that serves alcohol. T F

4. You may carry a firearm into a library, city office building (excluding courthouses), or a police station. T F

5. At the federal level, the 2nd amendment of the United States Constitution affirms an individuals preexisting right to keep and bear arms. T F

6. At the state level, Section 13 of the Virginia State Constitution affirms an individuals preexisting right to keep and bear arms. T F

7. A permit is required to carry a concealed firearm in Virginia. T F

NytoVa

imported post

NytoVa wrote:
1. It is legal to openly carry a firearm without a permit in Virginia. T F

2. A person 18 years or older may openly carry a firearm without a permit in Virginia. T F

3. You may openly carry a firearm into a restaurant that serves alcohol. T F

4. You may carry a firearm into a library, city office building (excluding courthouses), or a police station. T F

5. At the federal level, the 2nd amendment of the United States Constitution affirms an individuals preexisting right to keep and bear arms. T F

6. At the state level, Section 13 of the Virginia State Constitution affirms an individuals preexisting right to keep and bear arms. T F

7. A permit is required to carry a concealed firearm in Virginia. T F

Here are the results. Only 1 person got 100% and my son said that was his teacher.

Class of 26, here are the number of students who got each question correct.

1. 10 39%

2. 5 19%

3. 831%

4. 6 23%

5. 20 77%

6. 21 81%

7. 26100%

and

# of wrong answers

-0 1 student (actually the teacher)

-2 3

-3 6

-6 1

-7 0

NytoVa

imported post

curtiswr wrote:
Careful. Lately, students' reports, studies, and general interests concerning firearms have led to suspensions, expulsions, search warrants, and illegal seizures because of petrified, hoplophobic teachers and moronic parents.
richarcm wrote:
In some schools/colleges your son would be suspended or expelled for daring to give such an informative "extremist" view on guns. I think more kids should be taught to challenge (peacefully of course) the system.

Well he graduates in a month so there is not much they can do to him.

Except for the extreme cases, that does not seem to be aproblem in Va Beach. I'll give credit to the strong influence the local military population has on the area. Many of my children's teachers are retired military or have some connection to the military.

My son has done several class projects involving firearms and I've never heard a negative word from his teachers or administrators. In one class (teacher is retired marine)he designed a handgun using autocad and a simulation program.

My daughter came home one day saying you would have liked our class today. Theteacher was talking about the 2nd amendment andthat everyone had a right to self defense. The teacher (retired Navy)told the class she owns several firearms and goes to the range frequently. Imentioned it to her a few weeks later at a parent/teacher conference andshe had that "oh no"look on her face. I told I agree 100% and was glad she was teaching the topic.