Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Job, New Assignment

Post imported post

I'm working on a new open carry story, but I am unable to attend any of the upcoming events. I would like to spend the day or a couple of hours with someone going about their business while open carrying.

If interested please email me at the shernandez@lakelandtimes.com

-Samantha

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

shernandez wrote:
    I'm working on a new open carry story, but I am unable to attend any of the upcoming events. I would like to spend the day or a couple of hours with someone going about their business while open carrying.

-Samantha
    When and where?
    Are you aware that Minocqua has an outdated ordinance (as of 1995) that states no firearms are allowed in any buildings in the twon of Minocqua?
    Shall I stop by the lakeland times office while open-carrying? And then we can go for a walk around town from there? Will you also be carying a firearm? digital voice recorder? Video camera? DigitalStill camera?

Post imported post

shernandez wrote:
    I'm working on a new open carry story...
    Let's hope that your new editor (or whatever the title of the person who butchered your story, and selected the most non-flattering picture possible for your previous story) is better than the last !

Post imported post

Post imported post

Nutczak wrote:
    shernandez wrote:

-Samantha
    When and where?
    Are you aware that Minocqua has an outdated ordinance (as of 1995) that states no firearms are allowed in any buildings in the twon of Minocqua?
    Shall I stop by the lakeland times office while open-carrying? And then we can go for a walk around town from there? Will you also be carying a firearm? digital voice recorder? Video camera? DigitalStill camera?

I'll bring my digital camera and voice recorder. To my knowledge, but I can make some phone calls, carrying up here shouldn't be problem. I'll have to ask if you can stop by with your firearm. Email me at shernandez@lakelandtimes.com please and we'll work something out.

Post imported post

shernandez wrote:

I'll have to ask if you can stop by with your firearm.
    Why, Who put Mr Walker in charge of my rights?
    If I am asked to remove myself or my firearm from the premises while in the lakeland times building, I will just remove myself. And you can talk with me outside. I find it kinda funny that Mr Moore and Mr Walker both write numerous articles backing the private citizens right to bear arms, but thenthey maynot want people to exercise that right! Hmm, I guess this is one way to find out who is for what, and if the articles were just to sell more papers at the local gas stations. (the only ones I bought in the last year had the carry articles)

Centurion

Post imported post

I find it kinda funny that Mr Moore and Mr Walker both write numerous articles backing the private citizens right to bear arms, but thenthey maynot want people to exercise that right! Hmm
    Easy Killer! I wouldn't jump to conclusions. Samantha is new to the north woods and she use to work for the liberal bastions in Milwaukee. She's just being cautious.

Post imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
    I find it kinda funny that Mr Moore and Mr Walker both write numerous articles backing the private citizens right to bear arms, but thenthey maynot want people to exercise that right! Hmm
    Easy Killer! I wouldn't jump to conclusions. Samantha is new to the north woods and she use to work for the liberal bastions in Milwaukee. She's just being cautious.
    It's true I've only been here three weeks. Richard Moore is my editor.

Post imported post

Nutczak wrote:
    shernandez wrote:

I'll have to ask if you can stop by with your firearm.
    Why, Who put Mr Walker in charge of my rights?
    If I am asked to remove myself or my firearm from the premises while in the lakeland times building, I will just remove myself. And you can talk with me outside. I find it kinda funny that Mr Moore and Mr Walker both write numerous articles backing the private citizens right to bear arms, but thenthey maynot want people to exercise that right! Hmm, I guess this is one way to find out who is for what, and if the articles were just to sell more papers at the local gas stations. (the only ones I bought in the last year had the carry articles)
    Gregg Walker is completely fine with the carrying of firearms at the newspaper.

Post imported post

I apologize if I sounded a little harsh,
    but it seems likeMoore flip-flops between a flaming rabid liberal and than acts like aconservative throughout the year depending on his mood. Sort of like a "Not in my backyard" type. this is just from the impression I have gotten whilereading his articles over the last many years

Well, lets go for an armed walk around Minocqua, I have a compact 9mm that you can wear (if you are legal to possess a firearm) Anyplace in particular you wanna go? I was in the gaslight shops , the chefs shop, and the new ice-cream storelast week carrying my .357 revolver on my side, I do not think anyone even noticed or if they did, they just didn't care.
    Come summertime when we turn into a suburb of Chicago, the attitude around town my change, I could see some panicked vacationer yelling for the police if they saw someone exercising his/her 2A rights.

Maybe we can get "Cobbersmom" to join you too?

Post imported post

Nutczak wrote:
    I apologize if I sounded a little harsh,
    but it seems likeMoore flip-flops between a flaming rabid liberal and than acts like aconservative throughout the year depending on his mood. Sort of like a "Not in my backyard" type. this is just from the impression I have gotten whilereading his articles over the last many years

Well, lets go for an armed walk around Minocqua, I have a compact 9mm that you can wear (if you are legal to possess a firearm) Anyplace in particular you wanna go? I was in the gaslight shops , the chefs shop, and the new ice-cream storelast week carrying my .357 revolver on my side, I do not think anyone even noticed or if they did, they just didn't care.
    Come summertime when we turn into a suburb of Chicago, the attitude around town my change, I could see some panicked vacationer yelling for the police if they saw someone exercising his/her 2A rights.

Maybe we can get "Cobbersmom" to join you too?
    I haven't seen many of the sights here in town yet, so you can act as my tour guide. I would be happy to have "Cobbersmom" join us. Please, pm me so that we can work out the details or email me.

Post imported post

First, congratulations on your new job!

Glad to see you still have an interest in the topic and, given the recent AG memo, most timely. Well done & best of luck in the new locale.

I don't live up there, but have travelled to Minocqua several times and always enjoyed the area's natural beauty.Hope to hear of your travels and, RE open-carry anyway, hope that it's "Much Ado About Nothing."

Post imported post

I have not seen any postings by cobbersmom in a few weeks now, Hopefully she still is part of the forum.
    I do not know her,or could Ieven say we are acquaintances, I just know she is in the lakeland area and cares abut preserving our 2A`rights

Post imported post

WIG19 wrote:
    First, congratulations on your new job!

Glad to see you still have an interest in the topic and, given the recent AG memo, most timely.* Well done & best of luck in the new locale.

I don't live up there, but have travelled to Minocqua several times and always enjoyed the area's natural beauty.*Hope to hear of your travels and, RE open-carry anyway, hope that it's "Much Ado About Nothing."

Thanks for the congrats. As Mike and Jesus know I worked really hard at getting a job.

I'll post after if takes place.

Post imported post

I sure would like to get some taffy at Dan's Minocqua Fudge.

Post imported post

Cobbersmom wrote:
    I sure would like to get some taffy at Dan's Minocqua Fudge.*
    Sounds like a plan. Are they open yet?

Post imported post

shernandez wrote:
    Cobbersmom wrote:
    I sure would like to get some taffy at Dan's Minocqua Fudge.
    Sounds like a plan. Are they open yet?
    If they're not, I'm not going. That place is the ONLY reason I go into Minocqua, other than driving thru.

Post imported post

I'm in,
    I just did the paperwork for my new XDM .40 early yesterday evening, and I should be able to pick it up on Monday. (%#$#ing 48-Hour waiting period)

Post imported post

Andy Gee, the Mincoqua police chief recently issued an inter-office memo on how dispatchers are to deal with a call of open carry.

Does anyone know if those types of memos are public record? If so, we should get a copy.

Centurion

Post imported post

Does anyone know if those types of memos are public record

Yes they are absolutely a matter of public record

Post imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
    Yes they are absolutely a matter of public record
    Thank you!

Post imported post

I have the newspaper article whereGee stated his thoughts on O-C, and it contradicts the 2nd and 3rd hand information I have heard coming from the officers on the street. (allegedly)

Post imported post

Nutczak wrote:
    I have the newspaper article whereGee stated his thoughts on O-C, and it contradicts the 2nd and 3rd hand information I have heard coming from the officers on the street. (allegedly)
    That would be a good thing to hang on to while waiting to see what the memo says.

Post imported post

Cobbersmom I went by the fudge place yesterday and they appear to be open.

Nutczak let me know via PM what day is good for you.

Post imported post

Any day during this week is fine except for tomorrow afternoon.
    Iwasnot ableget my new XD-m yet, because I got delayed on my NICS check (but what else is new?)
    I would rather wear a semi-auto than my revolver due to thesize and weight.

So whats the plan? wemeet at the lakeland-times building, walk over to Dan's fudge, buy all sorts of sugary sweets, ingest those and go into a diabetic coma for the rest of the day? or did we want to go into some other stores too?

Minocqua does have a town ordinance that prohibits any entry into any building with a handgun. It is preempted by state law, but I do expectcontact by Minocqua PD.
    Any guess as if the Minocqua PD cites us for violating the bogus law?

here is the townordinance as snipped from the town website;

Sec. 41-19. Possession of hand guns in public buildings.(a)Definitions. The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this section, shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this subsection, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:

Handgun shall be defined as in Wis. Stats. § 175.35, or its successor.

Public building means any church, school, store, except stores in which handguns are sold, office, town-owned building, tavern, restaurant or other building in which the public is allowed to congregate.

(b)Prohibitions.

(1)No person shall enter or remain in any public building located within the town while in possession of any handgun. This prohibition applies to all handguns, including those in cases, holsters, and other enclosures.

(2)No parent or adult guardian shall permit his child or ward to violate this section.

(c)Exceptions.

(1)The owner of any public building other than a town-owned building, or such owner's authorized employee, may keep handguns on his premises as a means of protecting himself, his patrons, and his property.

(2)Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit the right of duly authorized peace officers to possess handguns while on duty.

Would Mr. Walker have any interest in making the citizens aware that the above ordinance is bogus and unenforceable? I think the only way to get it removed is to be charged with it, and fight it in court.
    Does anyone know if there is another way? I contacted the town chairman via e-mail weeks ago and i have gotten no response, and it is still listed on the towns website. so obviously my request for explanation was ignored.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast