• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Possibly moving to Illinois

buster81

imported post

Ok folks. I might be accepting a job in Illinois and need to confirm my understaning of the gun laws.

One must get a FOID to be in possession of any firarm or ammunition.

Carrying is out of the question either concealed or openly. Transport is in a locked container only??? Unloaded?

I can carry on my own property.

It appears that a use of force law is in place that allows the use of deadly force if one reasonably believes he/she is in imminent danger.

It appears that possessision is unlawful in some cities. Where would one get a list of these?

Thanks in advance for the help.

junglebob

imported post

buster81 wrote:
Ok folks. I might be accepting a job in Illinois and need to confirm my understaning of the gun laws.

One must get a FOID to be in possession of any firarm or ammunition.

Carrying is out of the question either concealed or openly. Transport is in a locked container only??? Unloaded?

It appears that a use of force law is in place that allows the use of deadly force if one reasonably believes he/she is in imminent danger.

It appears that possessision is unlawful in some cities. Where would one get a list of these?

You are partly correct. Illinois residents do need a FOID card to have firearms or ammunition. The application is available from the Illinois State Police website http://www.isp.state.il.us I'd suggest applying as soon as you move. They are supposed to issue within 30 days by law. However it is taking more than that. The thing to do is contact your state rep when 30 days have passed. Normally it then magically appears in the mail in a couple of days. If not daily calls to the ISP may help.

The ISP website has transportation requirements. State law doesn't require a locked case. If you have a FOID card you only need it to be in a case that completely encloses the firearm to meet all state UUW laws and Wildlife Code. Even a shipping box or other container meets state laws other than Wildlife Code, which requires a case. Beware of local laws on transport more stringent than state law.

You didn't mention where you were moving. North of Interstate 80 in the Northeast corner of the state especially you may run into more stringent transportation requirements.

You are correct that conconcealed carry is not allowed. Open carry is only allowed in unincorporated rural areas (not in a vehicle). You can also carry on your own property or fixed place of business. You might consider "fanny pack transport", transporting an unloaded firearm in a fanny pack designed for a firearm, or other "gun case" (special day planner, maxpedition etc). A loaded magazine can be carried in the case as well. This makes you "6 seconds from safety" as http://www.gunssavelife.com calls it. You'll find out more about this on the "fanny pack carry" topic here or at the website I just mentioned.

Now a word of warning about "fanny packing". You might still get arrested even though it is legal. Illinois law enforcement, even Illinois State Troopers, who should know better since their website clearly says you may have ammuntion in the case when transporting, are often ignorant of Illinois transportation laws.

Should you use the "fanny pack option" that will be your decision. I've use a black Uncle Mikes SideKick fanny pack for about 5 years now, whenever I go out. Never been stopped over it.

The ISP website does have some local firearms regulations. However not all cities that have them put them up on the site, or update them. Best to inquire where you plan on moving to at the city clerks office. Many Chicago area cities that had handgun bans have dropped them after the Heller decision and lawsuits brought. Chicago still requires firearms registration annually and refuses to register handguns that haven't been registered for about the last 20 years.

You didn't mention where you were moving. In southern Illinois, south of Interstate 64, I don't know of any cities with firearms ordinances restricting posession or transportation. If a city or village is a home rule municipality they can impose such ordinances. I'd avoid Chicago like the plague.

I'd suggest you join the Illinois State Rifle Association which is working for licence to carry in Illinois and also go to http://www.IllinoisCarry.com/forumn and join. Going to the forum here and at IllinoisCarry will keep you advised on concealed carry and other gun legislation. This year over 5000 people went to Illinois Gun Owners Lobby Day (IGOLD) in Springfield to lobby for LTC legislation and other good firearms legislation and against bad legislation. Before Illinois Carry got involved a few years ago the lobby day was only attended by a few hundred. Last year attendance was about 2500.

No "duty to retreat" in Illinois!

If you move to Illinois, welcome to the fight.

buster81

imported post

Thanks alot for the good info junglebob. I would be moving to Quincy. I haven't been able to find any good info on the city site.

So if I understand you correctly, the process of transporting is simply in an enclosed case, unloaded, either on foot or in a vehicle? According to handgunlaw.us,it says the requirement to notify a LEO is n/a. Sound right?

I checked out the ISP site and they list a prohibited place as one that serves alchol for on site consumption. I guess this includes all restaurants with a license?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I'dtake a diveinto the Grand Canyon 'fore I'd take a job in Illinois.... visit Illinois... pass thru Illinois. I'm gettin' itchy even thinkin' about Illinois. :uhoh:

buster81

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
I'dtake a diveinto the Grand Canyon 'fore I'd take a job in Illinois.... visit Illinois... pass thru Illinois. I'm gettin' itchy even thinkin' about Illinois. :uhoh:
I hear ya, but you have to pay the bills.

junglebob

imported post

buster81 wrote:
Thanks alot for the good info junglebob. I would be moving to Quincy. I haven't been able to find any good info on the city site.

So if I understand you correctly, the process of transporting is simply in an enclosed case, unloaded, either on foot or in a vehicle? According to handgunlaw.us,it says the requirement to notify a LEO is n/a. Sound right?

I checked out the ISP site and they list a prohibited place as one that serves alchol for on site consumption. I guess this includes all restaurants with a license?

I don't find any firearms ordinances listed on the ISP website under municipal ordinances, so they probably don't have any. Most cities don't once you get south of Interstate 80, Carbondale does down here in Southern Illinois (south of Interstate 64) and is the only one down here that I know of. Even it has no more stringent transportation requirements than state law. You should check with the county clerk or city attorney's office in Quincy.

You are correct on transporting encased and unloaded (magazine out of firearm). That is the state requirment, some municipal ordinances may be different. Encased can be in a fanny pack type case on your person with loaded magazine in the case, sometimes called"6 seconds from safety" this is the manner I normally transport. Shipping boxes and "other containers" can qualify except under some wildlife code statutes. You'll find more on this in the Fanny Pack Carry topic here.

I don't know of any requirement to notify law enforcement and wouldn't do so.Many in Illinois law enforcement do not like "fanny pack transport" or have their own prejudice against firearm ownership. It is legal, but that doesn't mean you might not be arrested. So I wouldn't notify and I wouldn't consent to a search of my vehicle. Stand up for 2nd and 4th amendment rights.

There is a prohibition of firearms in places that serve alcohol, paid events, court houses and some other places, so don't "transport" there.

Once you get an Illinois drivers license or state ID you want to get an Illinois Firearm Owners ID (FOID) card. The application is available on the ISP website. The FOID card is needed to own a firearm or to buy ammunition. There is a 30 or 60 day grace period to get it after you move if you come with firearms, cost is $10 for 10 years (sorry this isn't Arizona). The ISP is required to issue the FOID card in 30 days, but is taking longer.

I would thinkQuincy is fairly firearms friendly for Illinois, not Arizona of course.

Let me knowif you have anyother questions.

AaronS

imported post

buster81 wrote:
Ok folks. I might be accepting a job in Illinois and need to confirm my understanding of the gun laws.

One must get a FOID to be in possession of any firearm or ammunition.

It appears that possession is unlawful in some cities. Where would one get a list of these?

If you are for real, you are going to jail some time soon. A man from Richmond, with what I am sure you learned as a kid, will never respect what the state of Ill. will do to your rights... Ever... With the FOID card, some day you might get a nice knock on your door (before it gets torn off). Come to Wisconsin, we need your skills and spending!:) I'll get you a home for $125.000 (next to me, and we can both open carry).:)

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

AaronS wrote:
buster81 wrote:
Ok folks. I might be accepting a job in Illinois and need to confirm my understanding of the gun laws.

One must get a FOID to be in possession of any firearm or ammunition.

It appears that possession is unlawful in some cities. Where would one get a list of these?

If you are for real, you are going to jail some time soon. A man from Richmond, with what I am sure you learned as a kid, will never respect what the state of Ill. will do to your rights... Ever... With the FOID card, some day you might get a nice knock on your door (before it gets torn off). Come to Wisconsin, we need your skills and spending!:) I'll get you a home for $125.000 (next to me, and we can both open carry).:)
Illinois is something special when it comes to your rights, meaningthe seriouslack of being able to exercise them. Seriously, I have nothing nice to say about IL government, and it only gets worse the closer you get the chitcago.

WI would be a much less stressful environment and you do not need to ask the WIstate police permission and pay exhorbatant fees to possess a primer, powder, brass, loaded ammunition, and/or a firearm.

junglebob

imported post

Nutczak, I'm not a fan of the Illinois FOID (Firearm Owners ID) card that the Illinois State Police issue, and is required for firearm ownership. However the cost is $10 for 10 years, which most folks wouldn't call that exorbitant. Of course a person shouldn't have to pay a tax to exercise their second amendment rights.

On the bright side having a FOID card allows me to apply for a Pa handgun license making it legal for me to open carry in a vehicle in Pa or in or outside a vehicle in Indiana, Georgia, or Tennessee. Actually in a vehicle a permit isn't required in Georgia.

If one lives in Chicago they will have their excessive annual gun registration fees to deal with.

fully_armed_biker

imported post

buster81 wrote:

Why in the world would you want to move to the People's Republik of IL from the free Commonwealth of Virginia!?!?!? I was born and raised in Oak Park, IL...the first community in the USA to BAN handguns altogether!!! There isn't enough money in the world to make me go back and give up theRIGHTS I never knew I even had before I moved to VA 15 years ago.

An unarmed society is an easilycontrolled society...that's what the "lawmakers" <spit> in IL want!

junglebob

imported post

I'm not recommending that Buster81, give up Virginia gun laws for Illinois gun laws, but a little progress has just been made HB182 was signed by the governor and it clarifies that a hotel or motel room is an "abode" and in Illinois you are allowed to carry, open or concealed in your abode. (Don't carry in common areas outside your room) It also allows to carry on someone elses property with their permission. There was an arrest a short time ago of someone in northern Illinois who was carrying on a friend or relatives property. I assume that one of the sheople in the area saw him and called the police. I realize in most places this would be a non-event, and I can't see it being very likely in southern Illinois even before the law passed.

Fully-armed-biker, It is hard to imagine going from the restrictions of Oak Park to the freedom of Virginia.

Best not to transport in a restaraunt that serves alcohol.

Are you taking the Illinois job Buster?

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
buster81 wrote:

Why in the world would you want to move to the People's Republik of IL from the free Commonwealth of Virginia!?!?!? I was born and raised in Oak Park, IL...the first community in the USA to BAN handguns altogether!!! There isn't enough money in the world to make me go back and give up theRIGHTS I never knew I even had before I moved to VA 15 years ago.

An unarmed society is an easilycontrolled society...that's what the "lawmakers" <spit> in IL want!
I can see it from both sides. I grew up in Chicago 25 for years of my life, moved to Alexandria VA during the pre-State Pre-empt days for two (2) years, then settled in Springfield, VA. The cost ofliving is higher here than it is in Quincy, IL. The only other thingI know about Quincy is that their high school got beat by my high school (Mendel Catholic)in basketball at the state tourney (1982 at U of I) when Quincy had signs all over the place saying they were going to go 66 - 0 (Mendel won the game when a last secondlay-up rolled around and out of the basket after the ball was passed the length of the court).

Junglebob can steer buster81 straight on the gun laws in IL. Since Quincy is near MO (if I remember correctly), things may not be all that bad, but, it is still IL (not Chicago, which is far worse).

Whatever decision buster81 makes, I'm sure, will be decided based on the almighty dollar and not the freedoms that will surely be missed if he leaves VA (I am not suggesting that it should be the only factor that should be considered). F_A_biker does have a point of thought about giving up the rights that I, myself, enjoy everyday in VA. I can see it from both sides. I love VA and I won't be moving back to IL any time soon. But, if I were, I would definitely consult with Junglebob and I would move as far away from Chicago as I could get (smile)!!

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1787!!:X

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

junglebob wrote:
Nutczak, I'm not a fan of the Illinois FOID (Firearm Owners ID) card that the Illinois State Police issue, and is required for firearm ownership. However the cost is $10 for 10 years, which most folks wouldn't call that exorbitant. Of course a person shouldn't have to pay a tax to exercise their second amendment rights.

On the bright side having a FOID card allows me to apply for a Pa handgun license making it legal for me to open carry in a vehicle in Pa or in or outside a vehicle in Indiana, Georgia, or Tennessee. Actually in a vehicle a permit isn't required in Georgia.

If one lives in Chicago they will have their excessive annual gun registration fees to deal with.
As a former Illinois resident, I have to say, $10.00 for 10 years isn't bad. When I lived there it was, I think $5.00 for either 4 or 5 years. It's been a while, so I forgot.

Still, I have to pay $105.00 for a 5 year concealed permit. I know some think that's excessive. But at least I can carry my weapon loaded, and concealed OR Open, if I prefer.

I would not move back to Illinois if you paid me, but I understand that you have to pay the bills, and you go where the work is. Right now, I'm just happy I have a job.

junglebob

imported post

Al, It used to be $5 for 5 years, so its stayed the same per year. I'd prefer a LTC for $105 for 5 years.

Do you often see open carry in Michigan? I open carried in Indiana recently, about 450 miles. Stopped several times for gas and went in the stations, and a couple of stops at McDonalds for food, went in there too. No comment by anyone, wonder if any one noticed, or did and it was nothing out of the ordinary for them.

What is the unemployment rate in Lansing? I noticed that the rate in my county in Southern Illinois was 6.8% last year in July and 7.5% this year. I see the rate for the U.S. was 7% for last year in July and 10.5% this year. I guess what a friend said is true Southern Illinois is always in a recession so when one comes it doesn't effect us as much.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

junglebob wrote:
Al, It used to be $5 for 5 years, so its stayed the same per year. I'd prefer a LTC for $105 for 5 years.

Do you often see open carry in Michigan? I open carried in Indiana recently, about 450 miles. Stopped several times for gas and went in the stations, and a couple of stops at McDonalds for food, went in there too. No comment by anyone, wonder if any one noticed, or did and it was nothing out of the ordinary for them.

What is the unemployment rate in Lansing? I noticed that the rate in my county in Southern Illinois was 6.8% last year in July and 7.5% this year. I see the rate for the U.S. was 7% for last year in July and 10.5% this year. I guess what a friend said is true Southern Illinois is always in a recession so when one comes it doesn't effect us as much.
Well, I OC all around Lansing. And the guy who started Michigan OC, works in Lansing. Honestly, I don't know what the unemployment rate for Lansing is. For the state, it's over 15% right now. But I think most of that is confined to the automotive industry. If you're not in that line of work, you might could find work here.

Indiana is a licensed OC state. And I believe their carry permit says nothing about concealed. It's simply a permit to carry. But for the most part, it depends on where you're at, as to how accepted OC is. The nice thing is, Indiana honors all states permits, and I think that includes non-resident permits as well. Michigan doesn't. We honor resident permits only. But other than that restriction, we honor everyone's, even Canadian permits. But I doubt there's many permits issued in Canada. ;)

junglebob

imported post

Al, You're right Indiana does honor non-resident LTC. That's good because being from the "right denied" state of Illinois I have to carry on Pa or Utah. I wish that Michigan recognized either of those as well, til they do I'm worse off than in Illinois. I can "fanny pack transport" here. I don't imagine Michigan allows a loaded handgun in the glove box either, that is an option in Kentucky and some other states if you don't have a LTC. BTW what is considered loaded in Michigan? Can I have an unloaded cased handgun with loaded magazine, not in the handgun in the vehicle?

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

If you don't have a resident permit, then the weapon has to be unloaded (no magazine) and in the trunk, or for vehicles without trunks, as far from anyone in the passenger compartment as possible, and separate from the ammo.

Yes, it sucks if you don't have a permit, you can't even OC in Michigan, if you're from another state.