• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Open Carry today!

mrgreencom

imported post

I just bought my first handgun from someone in Denver and stopped at Green Mountain Family Shooting Center to run 100 rounds through it!

When I got back to the Springs, I went to Safeway with my new gun on my side. It felt like a good size and weight at the range, but in Safeway, it was weighing down my belt and swashing back and forth. It also grew quite a bit in there and I was sure everyone could see it! I tried to walk with my right side away from people for a little while :uhoh:. I left realizing no one had noticed! I even made it a point to talk to the pharmacist and I think the only ones that even saw it were a couple of kids in a cart.

I figured it was going to take some time to get used to the idea as well as the weight on my side.

I left it on my side around the house and wore it as my wife, girl and I went to Wal-Mart. I was thinking about it constantly, but it didn't feel so akward by this time. Most people didn't notice it there either and no one said anything about it. I think the guys around the ammo case were eying it a little, but not one word. (And yes, they did have some 9mm and .40 SW in stock!)

My thoughts are:
  • Carrying a gun around will take some getting used to on many levels.
  • I need a better holster.
  • I've got a lot to learn.
What is the general rule of buildings not to enter? I took my gun off to go into the Post Office but didn't see a sign. If there's no sign visible, it's alright? Obviously schools and school zones are out, but how do you keep track of where all the schools are? I'm all over town and I guess I'm kind of nervous of that. I think I remember that it's OK to have a gun concealed in the vehicle at a school, is that right? Otherwise, I would just have to leave it at home.

Alright, I'll give the questions a rest and start reading some law for bed time. :) Just wanted to share my experience today as it was quite surreal.

entartet17

imported post

Glad to hear your first OC experience went well! I was always nervous the first few times I OCed but that wears off fast.

You cant carry in the post office per federal law. I cant remember the exact law off the top of my head but if I find it I'll post it. Basically, you cant carry in any federal buildings.

Definitely be cautious when OCing near a school especially if you dont have a CCW (then you can be prosecuted under federal law). Generally, it is pretty easy to avoid schools. At least I've never had any problems. And you are correct, you can leave your gun in your car at a school.

mrgreencom

imported post

entartet17 wrote:
Glad to hear your first OC experience went well! I was always nervous the first few times I OCed but that wears off fast.

You cant carry in the post office per federal law. I cant remember the exact law off the top of my head but if I find it I'll post it. Basically, you cant carry in any federal buildings.

Definitely be cautious when OCing near a school especially if you dont have a CCW (then you can be prosecuted under federal law). Generally, it is pretty easy to avoid schools. At least I've never had any problems. And you are correct, you can leave your gun in your car at a school.
Thanks for the reply!

I was thinking the Post Office was off limits, so I left the gun in the car, but didn't see any signs. That's my problem with law, I'm actually quite good with literal translation and still law confuses the heck out of me. I read the references given on the site and don't see how they relate many times. I guess that will come with time.

Dynamite Rabbit

imported post

Federal law bans guns within 1000 feet of schools, but I don't believe anyone has ever been prosecuted. Having a CCW permit protects you from prosecution.

You can have a gun in your vehicle on school property, but it has to be in a "compartment" in your car, whatever that means. I assume the intent was glove box, console, etc. No mention of a locked compartment.

You can't open carry in Denver, or at the Capitol Building (or on its property). Local governments can ban open carry at specific places or buildings, but they have to post signs at all public entrances.

Private property, of course, is up to the owner. If not posted, you must leave when asked or risk being charged with trespassing.

CRS 18, Article 12 is your friend. As far as state preemption goes, CRS 29-11.7 has it all.

Good luck!

mrgreencom

imported post

Dynamite Rabbit wrote:
Federal law bans guns within 1000 feet of schools, but I don't believe anyone has ever been prosecuted. Having a CCW permit protects you from prosecution.
So, you can open carry in a school zone with a CCW, or you have to have it concealed?

Dynamite Rabbit

imported post

You can look up the Federal school zone law, but I'm 99% sure it doesn't specify method of carry. I open carry around my kids' school (just not on the property).

entartet17

imported post

The law does not specify how the gun is carried. What is does say is that the person with the firearm must have some sort of state-issued license. Because CO does not issue a license for OC, only CC is allowed under federal law. Of course, both OC and CC are not allowed on school property because of state law.

As long as you are not carrying on school property (regardless of whether it's OC or CC) you should be fine. I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted under the federal 1000ft rule.

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

entartet17 wrote:
The law does not specify how the gun is carried. What is does say is that the person with the firearm must have some sort of state-issued license. Because CO does not issue a license for OC, only CC is allowed under federal law. Of course, both OC and CC are not allowed on school property because of state law.

As long as you are not carrying on school property (regardless of whether it's OC or CC) you should be fine. I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted under the federal 1000ft rule.
I haven't looked up the federal statute, but my hunch is that having a permit/license exempts you from the law's reach. That doesn't mean you can only CC. It simply means having a permit exempts you from the law (which would have kept you from carrying CC or OC), so carry however you like (CC or OC). Again, I haven't looked it up but that's my gut feeling.

Dynamite Rabbit

imported post

SA-TX wrote:
entartet17 wrote:

I haven't looked up the federal statute, but my hunch is that having a permit/license exempts you from the law's reach.  That doesn't mean you can only CC.  It simply means having a permit exempts you from the law (which would have kept you from carrying CC or OC), so carry however you like (CC or OC).  Again, I haven't looked it up but that's my gut feeling.

That's exactly what it says. No mention of any needed compliance with the terms of the permit.

hansolo

Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
imported post

Dynamite Rabbit wrote:
You can have a gun in your vehicle on school property, but it has to be in a "compartment" in your car, whatever that means. I assume the intent was glove box, console, etc. No mention of a locked compartment.
Must you be in possession of a concealed permit if you carry onto school property, or can you bring a gun in the glove box into school? Do gun cases count?

For the exemption relating to school possession, would a hunting license count? It is state issued and we had to pass a little .22 shooting test.

entartet17

imported post

hansolo wrote:

Must you be in possession of a concealed permit if you carry onto school property, or can you bring a gun in the glove box into school? Do gun cases count?

For the exemption relating to school possession, would a hunting license count? It is state issued and we had to pass a little .22 shooting test.
State law prohibits firearms on school property regardless of whether or not you have a CCW. But because your car is technically your private property, you can have a firearm in your car, but as Dynamite pointed out, it must be in a "compartment" like a glove box. I think a gun case would also suffice. Basically, just dont leave it in the open.