• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shoulder holster or fobus paddle holster for OC?

BreakingTheMold

imported post

I prefer a holster that is well attached to me, and the pistol is SECURELY affixed in the holster. The last thing I want is my SA being taken, most likely as the beginning of the incident. I have a Fobus paddle holster, which has minimal retention IMO. For hunting I have a variable size shoulder holster. Are shoulder holsters an (even bigger) target for confrontation then normal hip holsters?

Jblack44

imported post

If it's your preference then that's what you should do. If you've read the laws I would say the only holster to avoid right now (because of clarification is needed) is a IWB if you do not have a CPL. I agree the weapon retention is very important. There are many holsters out there that are good.

Your comment about your weapon being taken has more to your own SA than what type of holster your wearing.

There is always a chance of confrontation. And like many say here read Wash Rinse Repeat!!! Be prepared. This is your Right. Also know that the law is on your side.

WARCHILD

imported post

Please don't be offended but....if you intend to oc...why are you worried about a shoulder holster being more obvious than any other? IMO...you should reconsider your confidence level before you oc. You are correct in the thinking that rentention is the most important and comfort level being second. After that it's all personal choice. I am not a show off or wanna-be mall ninja, but the least of my concerns when I oc is whether or not my gun is too obvious to other people. As you confidence level increases you will realize the gun is just another tool on your belt, like the cell phone, knife, or ipod. Stay informed, Stay armed, Stay safe.
just my .02

Leader

imported post

I don't think he is worried about it being more obvious, just which is safer from having someone snatch his gun?

In my mind, the shoulder holster would be more secure and easier to defend then a paddle holster.

As with any style, some are better built then others & I would choose a good strong leather one for your concerns.

DanM

imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:
I prefer a holster that is well attached to me, and the pistol is SECURELY affixed in the holster. . . .

If those are your criteria, I think you should go witha holster with good belt retention (e.g., hooks or straps that hold well to a belt) and active retention (i.e., the gun is locked in the holster unless you push or unsnap something as you draw).

WARCHILD

imported post

Are shoulder holsters an (even bigger) target for confrontation then normal hip holsters?

This is what I was referring to, unless I am taking it in the wrong context. I prefer a shoulder holster myself, but after my back injury I can't comfortably wear them so I have to use a belt holster.
As we all agree, retention first... personal choice/comfort, second.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Just throwing out the Blackhawk Serpa Holster here. I love this holster, the belt/pant retention is awesome, sometimes frustrating when I want to pull that damn'd thing off, and the active retention of the trigger guard is great as well.

Haven't done too much research into shoulder holsters, personally, I feel that you're more likely to lose your shoulder holstered weapon, during a struggle than you are a good belt holster.

FatboyCykes

imported post

I think so!

My only gripe is that I paid like 46 bucks for mine, because I'm a leftie, all the RH ones were going for 35-40, and I found a few @ Double Action on Dequindre for 30... Although I did feel better when DA was out of stock and my buddy found the RH one @ Gander Mtn. for like 50 bones, thieves...

DISCRIMINATION!!!!

I want a bail out!!!!

I'm entitled!!!!!

I'm......done.

T Vance

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
Haven't done too much research into shoulder holsters, personally, I feel that you're more likely to lose your shoulder holstered weapon, during a struggle than you are a good belt holster.

I bought this one off of Ebay prior to getting my Blackhawk (this was before I knew that OC was legal). It looks cool, and it has a pouch on the other side for 2 magazines, but the straps are velcro that go down to the belt. It is junk!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300299107181

Make sure you spend the money on a GOOD shoulder rig and try it out before you buy it. So getting one online might not be a good idea unless you try one on somewhere first.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Ha! I almost bought the exact same one! Figured I'd hold off and spend a little more if indeed I ever wanted a good shoulder rig.

I had to buy my Serpa of Ebay as well, nobody carried the LH.

ghostrider

imported post

Holsters are like a lot of tools. You get what you pay for.

Question is, "How much do you need?"

I learned several years ago that I don't want to carry a cheap knife. I though I could get by with one, but then discovered that some knives didn't require me to sharpen them as often as the ones I was paying $20 for. That convince was worth the extra money for me. Then again, I've also realized that I prefer my knives to be sharper than most people are willing to accept on their knives. It's all about personal choice and preference.

Many people who carry a gun as a professional requirement (and many who just carry a gun) will tell you that Fobus holsters are junk. OTOH, there are lots of happy Fobus owners out there. Same thing with Blackhawk.
Get what works for you.

My only problem with a shoulder holster for OC is the same problem with the IWB. My concern is that an over zealous PA might try to make points by persecuting someone for CCW due to the method of carry.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:
I prefer a holster that is well attached to me, and the pistol is SECURELY affixed in the holster. The last thing I want is my SA being taken, most likely as the beginning of the incident. I have a Fobus paddle holster, which has minimal retention IMO. For hunting I have a variable size shoulder holster. Are shoulder holsters an (even bigger) target for confrontation then normal hip holsters?
Personally, I do not see anything wrong with a shoulder holster for OC, as well as CC. However, if you choose to use it for OC, then I would suggest that youuse one that holds the pistol in a vertical fashion. I suspect, most folks would not appreciate a muzzlestaring atthem while standing in line at Wally World-if ya get my meaning. :)

BreakingTheMold

imported post

Thanks for the great answers! My current shoulder rig is horizontal. So I can see how that might be a little..impolite. I agree also that the fobus is a great range holster, but its retention is not more then a few pounds heavier then the pistol.

So I guess I'm looking for a medium to high end (leather most likely) belt holster, with good retention, but also able to be drawn quickly.As said comfort a second, but it would be nice;). Anyone have any other brands they think might fit the bill?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:
Thanks for the great answers! My current shoulder rig is horizontal. So I can see how that might be a little..impolite. I agree also that the fobus is a great range holster, but its retention is not more then a few pounds heavier then the pistol.

So I guess I'm looking for a medium to high end (leather most likely) belt holster, with good retention, but also able to be drawn quickly.As said comfort a second, but it would be nice;). Anyone have any other brands they think might fit the bill?
In theory, the horizontal type is no more dangerous then the vertical type. It's bad enough today to get the sheep used to see openly carried guns, let alone, one where the muzzle is staring them right in the face. :lol:

I have a leather, pancake type holster for my 1911 that hasthumb break retention. The bad thing is, as you tighten your belt the pistol becomes more difficult to remove or re-holster. I now prefer/havea Blade Tech,belt slide type with thumb break that works extremely well for my Glock.

DanM

imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:
. . . with good retention, but also able to be drawn quickly. . . .

I have a Serpa with positive retention (gun is locked in holster) and the mechanism to release the retention is located in the natural area where the trigger-finger rests along the side of the gunwhen gripping the gun. Basically, when you grip the gun to take it out of the holster, your trigger-finger rests on the unlock mechanism automatically.

In my opinion, this type of holster is superior for giving positive retention while allowing a draw that is practically as quick as having no retention at all. I am very satisfied with it.

BreakingTheMold

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
BreakingTheMold wrote:

In theory, the horizontal type is no more dangerous then the vertical type. It's bad enough today to get the sheep used to see openly carried guns, let alone, one where the muzzle is staring them right in the face. :lol:

I have a leather, pancake type holster for my 1911 that hasthumb break retention. The bad thing is, as you tighten your belt the pistol becomes more difficult to remove or re-holster. I now prefer/havea Blade Tech,belt slide type with thumb break that works extremely well for my Glock.
Those Blade tech holsters are NICE . I'll have to skip weekend in the back yard and pick up one of the duty holsters.

Last fall a buddy and I used his 18ton front end loader to build up a great outdoor range. 30 foot sand embankments with thick timber and underbrush at the top.:monkey If only I could afford more ammo , The only Local gun store that has any .223 or 40 S&W (besides wal mart on occasion) Wants more then a dollar a piece for Bulk Remington UMC.:cuss:

BreakingTheMold

imported post

DanM wrote:
BreakingTheMold wrote:
. . . with good retention, but also able to be drawn quickly. . . .

I have a Serpa with positive retention (gun is locked in holster) and the mechanism to release the retention is located in the natural area where the trigger-finger rests along the side of the gunwhen gripping the gun. Basically, when you grip the gun to take it out of the holster, your trigger-finger rests on the unlock mechanism automatically.

In my opinion, this type of holster is superior for giving positive retention while allowing a draw that is practically as quick as having no retention at all. I am very satisfied with it.

I own a SW40VE, a facsimile to the glock 23. What model/line of Serpa holster is the one your speaking of? It sounds promising as well.