• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My New Holster

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Just got my Glock 23 the day after my new Blackhawk level 3 Serpa came in the mail. Talk about retention! I'd like to see someone try to grab my gun.

I'll be moving to the Springs in a few months. Until then, I just have to enjoy this in my own home here in Texas.

opticsplanet_2052_1408433849
opticsplanet_2053_1168158994

Gunslinger

imported post

How do you release it? Press a button on the inboard side? I'm not really a fan of a complicated holster setup. I like the Kydex Fobus the best of any I've tried. Other than that, Uncle Mike with a snap is my usual carry. As I usually carry concealed, retention isn't much of an issue. Nice looking rig, though. :)

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
How do you release it? Press a button on the inboard side? I'm not really a fan of a complicated holster setup. I like the Kydex Fobus the best of any I've tried. Other than that, Uncle Mike with a snap is my usual carry. As I usually carry concealed, retention isn't much of an issue. Nice looking rig, though. :)
I have a Serpa similar to Ian's but mine doesn't cover the rear sight. You can see the release over the trigger guard. If you've got good trigger discipline and keep your index finger extended until ready to engage, it's a very natural motion to brush the release with your extended index finger as you're drawing. Reholstering is especially nice as well because the mouth stays open and you get a nice audible "click" when the retention engages.

Specialty Sports carries these, that's where I got mine. They were a few dollars (maybe +$5) more than online but within the point where I'd rather support a local supplier.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
I think you're getting the wrong impression and just seeing a bunch of buttons and not the way its designed. The level 3 serpa is designed so that whenever you grip the firearm like you would normally to draw, both mechanisms are released. I'll see if I can get a youtube video made and upload to show you how it works.

I've asked several of my friends to try and take the gun out of the holster just with me moving a little bit back and forth (only about a few inches each way), and after 10 seconds the gun is still in the holster. And this is after I've explained how the mechanism works. If you're ever in a situation where someone might grab your gun, even if they know how the holster works (which they probably wouldn't) there is NO way they're getting it.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Here's the video so you guys can see how it works if you are unfamiliar with the Serpa level 3.

In the video looks like I'm explaining how it works to my cat.:lol:

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/A8Vl2neJHqo&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]