• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammunition purchases

SigSauer

imported post

Seems that handgun ammo is becoming more and more scarce, this is a problem for those of us that enjoy range shooting and the opportunity to hone our basic pistol skills. Not to mention the recent rate of price inflation.

When you do make a purchase, please try to remember to pop in and let us know what you found -

Date purchased
Where did you find it
What caliber
Type
Size box
Price
Quantity left on shelf
And, if you got the chance, ask when do they get deliveries!

It might also help to know which stores tend to run dry quickly (ie - been there six times and 9mm had already sold out on each visit)

Thanks, hope that this is helpful while we're going through this period of shortage.

R___

FatboyCykes

imported post

Here locally....the only semi-reliable source for 9mm or 45 cal. I've found is a LGS on Dequindre, just south of 14 mile road. It's called Double Action, it's a shop/range. All the name brand ammo they have in all the major sizes, can only be purchased, if you're also purchasing range time, whether you shoot it or not. They do however have what they told me was military surplus ammo that they have to sort out and bag up themselves.

9mm is 20 bones even w/tax and the .45 is like 32, sorry, no .40.

I've put about two hundred rounds of it through my xd and had one stove pip and about 6 duds. Not great, but not terrible. It's the only ammo they'll sell out the door w/no range time though :(

T Vance

imported post

I was fortunate enought to stop at Walmart in Jackson last Saturday at 8am and ask for .40 cal. After about 15 minutes of an employee looking HE FOUND SOME!!!! but I was limited to two boxes. So I got 200 rounds for $62 after tax. Still waiting on my order from Cabela's that I placed 2 months ago. It is supposed to be there Monday...we'll see!

tygereye

imported post

I attempted to purchase some 9mm 115 gr online, at bass pro, only to be told it was on back order... I never expected to actually receive it, because I was told, (via email) that if my order could not be filled within 45 days, it would automatically be cancelled. I actually recieved my order, although, it did take about a month. I ordered it at about 11 dollars and change, and that is what I was charged. I don't know what the price is now.

The only thing I can think to recommend, short of reloading your own, is to order it online, and wait for the back order.

discerningshootist

imported post

Hey, I know it's a little off topic, but up here in TC I'm planning a little spring special. Here's the flyer:
[align=center]The Discerning Shootist[/align] [align=center]In Traverse City is offering springtime specials!!![/align] [align=center]
[/align] We are going to do a bulk order of 5.11 gear, where you get the gear at 10% over cost (to cover shipping and handling).

[align=center]Also, we will be doing the same with ammunition manufactured by the Michigan Ammo Company.
[/align]
Please call or email Scott @ 231.932.1559 or wsracer@hotmail.com for more info.

BreakingTheMold

imported post

If your looking for training/plinking rounds then IMO, Call up your local wal mart(s) at between 9-10pm. Thats when they restock. It maybe later in larger areas i have no idea. But since wal mart doesn't warehouse things. Items just show up at random. I've called in a few times in a week and ended up with 5 boxes of 100, 40 S&W. The illusive .223 also comes and goes at wally world. Best bet though is definately calling every night to check stock.

SigSauer

imported post

Regarding The Michigan Ammo Co.:

Today I went to Mill Creek Sports in Dexter to fire some rounds in the range. I bought two boxes of 50rds/.38spl. I was fortunate enough to have an empty plastic 100rd storage box, so I transferred the first box of 50, only to find that the sealed box had only 45rds in it. Pissed, I cut the seal on the second box and transferred those to the storage box. Guess what? Only 45rds in that one as well!

Mill Creek made good on my claim. When told, the owner was really hot and went right to the phone to make a call to MAC.

Count your rounds when buying loose! Those little storage boxes not only make things neat and tidy, but keep also track when using loose rounds.

Also bought 9mm boxes of 50 and they had the correct amount.

Should also mention that Mill Creek is chock full of ammo today.

Veritas

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
Here locally....the only semi-reliable source for 9mm or 45 cal. I've found is a LGS on Dequindre, just south of 14 mile road. It's called Double Action, it's a shop/range. All the name brand ammo they have in all the major sizes, can only be purchased, if you're also purchasing range time, whether you shoot it or not. They do however have what they told me was military surplus ammo that they have to sort out and bag up themselves.

9mm is 20 bones even w/tax and the .45 is like 32, sorry, no .40.

I've put about two hundred rounds of it through my xd and had one stove pip and about 6 duds. Not great, but not terrible. It's the only ammo they'll sell out the door w/no range time though :(
I shoot there.

Veritas

imported post

Michigander wrote:
In the past year or 2, pretty much the only things I've bought are .22 lr and x39. Everything else I reload.
I want to start reloading. What's the learning curve like? And about how much should I expect to spend on equipment? Assume that I'll be reloading .40, 9 mm, and .223.

Michigander

imported post

It is EASY. Just look it up on youtube, and you'll see a lot of helpful movies.

At a minimum, you're looking at 35 for a press, 15 or so for some case trimming equipment, 10-50 dollars for powder measuring gear, and 15-35 for each set of dies. This is for the very most basic Lee stuff. You can spend a lot more if you want, but Lee stuff will work.

Then of course there are the components. They can be pretty pricey, but you can save a whole lot in the long run if you cast or swage your own bullets.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Veritas wrote:
About how long does it take you to hammer out 1,000 rounds?

Depends on if you have a progressive press or not.

Prep work: 1hr. (tubing up primers, bullets, and polishing brass)

Progressive press work: 60-ish mins.

If you got in a really good swing, you could probably pump out a round every 3-5 seconds, using a Place, rotate, press rotation.

You may find you'll need to take a break every so often, though...

Michigander

imported post

It depends. If your casings are clean and of the proper length, and you're using the stuff I listed above, maybe 6 hours. If you're casting bullets, cleaning primer pockets, and trimming casings, it could be a weekend long project.

The more volume and speed you want, the more money you'll want to spend. If you're looking to buy this stuff, and you want someone to go help you pick stuff out, we should set up that Dundee lunch I've been talking about, and we could go to Cabelas and talk about your different options.

SigSauer

imported post

Can we start another thread for the subject of reloading? Let's keep this thread specifically for ammunition purchases, as price and availability are such a problem currently. It'd be nice to jump to this thread and get the latest updates quickly enough to make it to the store score the few rounds left on the shelf.

Thanks much.

SigSauer

imported post

I should have mentioned earlier that I stopped off at Dunhams A2, Maple/Dexter roads this afternoon and found four 50rd/.38spl Blazer Brass FMJ semi-wadcutter @ $17.99ea. I paid $16.99/50rds for reloads at Mill Creek just two hours before.

They also had a few other calibers in stock. Spoke to the firearms manager, he said that they tend to get shipments in on monday, but never know what will be sent to them. He said that I must be living a clean life as I keep walking in just as they put something on the shelf. He's not too chatty, but so long as you're not an ass-hat, he'll give you the scoop.

I'll make more random stops around town just to see who has what. Hope others can do the same.

SigSauer

imported post

While in the Meijers on Jackson at Zeeb road in Scio twp. this morning I stopped by the sporting section only to (yet again) find not one dusty round of handgun ammo anywhere.

I've been casually checking that same store for months now and have yet to see anything resembling a handgun round. Oddly, they do keep updating the price tags on the shelves.

SigSauer

imported post

Ann Arbor/Ypsi Dunhams

The Dunhams on Washtenaw behind Fountain Plaza has a lot of "assault" gun ammo, but as for handgun rounds, not much to report. I saw one Remington Mega Pack of 200rds/45, that's all.

The Dunhams on Maple at Dexter road had some 44mag, 500S&W (now that's a bullet!), and various "assault" gun ammunition.

Looks like the hard run on the "assault" ammo has lightened up, that or the price is so high that nobody cares to buy.

I'm really never near a Walmart, nor do I go out of my way to shop there, someone else will have to take that end of the report.

The Dunhams guys on Washtenaw said to check back saturday evening, as that is when they open the shipments and stock the shelves.

Good luck,

Sig

SigSauer

imported post

Had opportunity to check Dunhams on Maple again today, nothing new on the shelves. Lots of fellas walking in and back to the ammunition shelves and walking right back out again.

Checked in Meijer's on Jackson and Zeeb, dusty shelves, nothing on them.

Sig