• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ryan Frederick sentencing today

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Based on what I know of the case, it seems to me he got shafted with the 10 yr recommended sentence, so lets hope the judge doesn't apply it all...

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/05/ryan-frederick-sentenced-10-years-killing-detective

CHESAPEAKE

Following a jury’s recommendation, a Circuit Court judge today sentenced Ryan Frederick to 10 years in prison for the slaying of a Chesapeake detective during a drug raid.

Judge Marjorie A.T. Arrington imposed the maximum sentence on the killer of detective Jarrod Shivers. His father, Jim Shivers, said the family wanted the toughest punishment for Frederick.

Jack Bider, president of the Chesapeake chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police, said before the hearing that officers accepted the verdict delivered by the jury. Although the police may not agree with it, Bider said in a statement, “we can hope that the full sentencing guidelines of that verdict are fulfilled.”

Frederick shot and killed Jarrod Shivers during a botched drug raid on his home in the city’s Portlock section in January 2008. A jury rejected a capital murder charge and found Frederick guilty of voluntary manslaughter in February.

The highly charged trial included a special prosecutor, testimony from a jailhouse snitch and tearful family members. At the end, neither side was satisfied by the verdict.

Jim Shivers said the family had hoped for a conviction of at least second-degree murder, and remain puzzled by the jury’s decision. “It was a disappointment,” he said.

Defense attorney James Broccoletti said Frederick, who had a clean criminal record, will appeal.

Shivers enlisted in the Navy after high school, started a family and joined the Chesapeake Police Department in 2000, rising to rank of detective. Shivers, 34, left behind his wife, Nicole, and three children, Brittnie, Ashleigh and Landon.

Shivers’ name was added to the National Law Enforcement Memorial in Washington last month, his father said. A group of local officers is expected to attend ceremonies for their fallen comrades as part of National Police Week.

I reckon the judge didn't see it like I saw it, which might be because she knew more than I did about the case.

Wooley

imported post

I don't know guys. I truly think the CPD did some shady things here, but put yourself in that situation. Wouldn't you wait until your target came through the door and you could positively identify it? Wouldn't you call out "Stay out I have a gun, I called the police"?

My opinion, he acted too quickly. He violated one of the rules that I'm sure all of you LIVE by, and that is positively identifying your target and knowing what is beyond it. He shot blindly through a hole in a door.

He could have yelled, he could have waited a split second. We all know doors are death funnels...he had the upper hand.

I'm sorry to see it go down this way but I think, from what I've read, he has been properly dealt with.

tripledipper

imported post

The judge offered the jury more options than required and they chose one on the morelenient side but demanded it be carried out fully. A pretty fair sentence. Lets see how he behaves while incarcerated.:question:

Wooley

imported post

So, would you identify your target firstor just fire blindly into the night? I'm not saying I wouldn't escalate to firing a weapon, just that I would at the very least see my target.

Wooley

imported post

LOL. Everyone keeps saying "no knock". Um, I believe the defense has conceded that the police knocked.

*Took the space out of Every one*

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wooley wrote:
I don't know guys. I truly think the CPD did some shady things here, but put yourself in that situation. Wouldn't you wait until your target came through the door and you could positively identify it?
If multiple home invaders start battering down your door in the dark of night, is it a wise tactical decision to wait until there is no longer a physical barrier between you and them to resist them?

Granted, I would be yelling for the rest of my family to get their guns and would warn the invaders off, they would hopefully respond that they were police. But I would have no safe way to verify that without getting shot.

I would then respond that I did not beleive they were police, which would lead to an impasse and in all probability myself dead or at least in jail anyhow.

Wooley

imported post

I guess the difference is hopefully getting an apology for kicking in the wrong door OR being a bunkie with ole Ryan.

I have to ask though, multiple intruders or not, they have to come through the door to get you. You know they're coming through the door. They don't know where you are...so you choose a tactically sound place to to wait. Whats so wrong with that? You have the upper hand.

crazydude6030

imported post

Skeptic wrote:
If multiple home invaders start battering down your door in the dark of night, is it a wise tactical decision to wait until there is no longer a physical barrier between you and them to resist them?

I think i would invoke my duty to retreat :lol:

Wooley

imported post

Joking aside, I have to tend to agree. He had 25 seconds to think about what he was doing.

I just don't think shooting through a hole in a door when you have no clue what is on the other side is responsible.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wooley wrote:
I guess the difference is hopefully getting an apology for kicking in the wrong door OR being a bunkie with ole Ryan.

I have to ask though, multiple intruders or not, they have to come through the door to get you. You know they're coming through the door. They don't know where you are...so you choose a tactically sound place to to wait. Whats so wrong with that? You have the upper hand.

Without a physical barrier between you and them, they can physically overwhelm you when you reload. Or they can toss in something flaming without ever presenting you an identifiable target. Or break additional doors and windows, presenting you with multiple choices.

Since I am not NEO from The Matrix, I don't carry around a bag full of weapons with an endless supply of ammo and shoot them with both hands with perfect accuracy at multiple targets. Once there is no barrier, their chance of killing you has increased.

Meanwhile, once the door is down, say you stop the first wave of assailants. But then the door is wide open for other attackers to come in at will. You have to maintain your focus on that door and can't check to see if they are trying to enter through another way, like a window or another door, without leaving your flank totally unprotected.

Wooley

imported post

Your tactical awareness if perfect for Haifa Street. While I prepare for a lot, I think what you describe is an anomaly here short of Waco. And if that happens, you've got bigger problems.

Skeptic, I don't disagree that badguys are much more armed, aware, and maybe even trained these days. Possible, not probable.

If you will, lets say Ryan ducked back and yelled that he had a gun and called police. He might be gearing up to win a lawsuit right now.

And I don't want to negate what you bring up...if it weren't the PD he could very well be dead himself.

I still would have waited.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wooley wrote:
Your tactical awareness if perfect for Haifa Street. While I prepare for a lot, I think what you describe is an anomaly here short of Waco. And if that happens, you've got bigger problems.

Skeptic, I don't disagree that badguys are much more armed, aware, and maybe even trained these days. Possible, not probable.

If you will, lets say Ryan ducked back and yelled that he had a gun and called police. He might be gearing up to win a lawsuit right now.

And I don't want to negate what you bring up...if it weren't the PD he could very well be dead himself.

I still would have waited.
I probably would have yelled that I had a gun too. Hopefully they would have stopped, hopefully the police would have been identifying themselves and a call to 911 would clear it up.

But I know, and my attackers would know, that it could easily take 15 or 20 minutes for the police to respond to my house. I know this because that is how long it took to respond when someone was trying to batter my door down one night at 2 AM.

Which is when I got a gun. So I know a little about how Mr. Fredrick felt.

Unfortunately we have had some home invasion type breaks in out here, and in one of them the attackers identified themselves as police.

Meanwhile, the true problem in this case is that they were breaking down someone's door because they thought he had a whole 6 pot plants. Is pot that much a scourge upon the world that we need to immediately act on the word of shaky informants as an excuse to kick in the doors suspected pot growers?

I don't get along with most potheads, I don't like the smell, I don't like their behavior, I don't like the lack of focus and drive I see in many of the users of the drug. I don't think people should do it.

But the war against it claimed a few more casualties in this case - a family missing a beloved member, another man's life destroyed.

PT111

imported post

I don't know what happened in this case nor do I know what went on in the mind of Mr. Fredrick or the police. However I do know that there were only losers in this case, no winners. A terrible waste of a life and the total screw-up of another person's life.

Unlike Neo in the matrix when we pull the trigger we can't take the bullet back and can't undo the harm. Be careful of what and when you shoot.

wylde007

imported post

Wooley wrote:
So, would you identify your target firstor just fire blindly into the night? I'm not saying I wouldn't escalate to firing a weapon, just that I would at the very least see my target.
He who hesitates... is dead.

Wooley

imported post

I completely have to speculate this was shoddy work by the PD. I also understand where you're coming from concerning someone beating on your door too.

We train with the weapons we carry, or at least should. It would take a very well trainedand determined group to step over a dead buddy and still try to get you. Cops would do it, but we shouldn't be shooting them in the first place.

Wooley

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
Wooley wrote:
He who hesitates... is dead.

He who doesn't, goes to the klink.

Wylde, my arguement is that I, you, and probably most anyone in here could have waited long enough to identify their target AND announce the intension to revoke earth passes upon entry. He had 25 seconds to say he had a gun.

I'm not arguing against protecting oneself. I'm saying he left out two important things I believe most of us would have done. 1) Warned that we were armed and 2) made sure of what we were shooting at.

Why are all of you intelligent gun owners advocating shooting something that you can't identify?

wylde007

imported post

Wooley wrote:
Wylde, my arguement is that I, you, and probably most anyone in here could have waited long enough to identify their target AND announce the intension to revoke earth passes upon entry. He had 25 seconds to say he had a gun.

I'm not arguing against protecting oneself. I'm saying he left out two important things I believe most of us would have done. 1) Warned that we were armed and 2) made sure of what we were shooting at.

Why are all of you intelligent gun owners advocating shooting something that you can't identify?
Because it's all so terribly subjective.

Not to knock your side of the argument, but unless we are put in that situation (God help us) we will never know exactly what we are capable of or what Mr. Frederick was experiencing/feeling at the time.

Everything any one of us here has to contribute is colored by our own prejudices and predilections.

I don't know if I would "warn" someone that is trying to break down my door that I have a weapon. What indication would I have to believe that the assailant wouldn't take that as an invitation to fire through the door at me?

There are too many variables, but in my house I would have to say that I would have acted similarly to Mr. Frederick, except I don't have any pot plants in my garage (or whatever).

What would you yell if they identified themselves as police (which is suspect, at best, even now)? Do you yell "Cease and desist, I have a weapon aimed at the door!" I can't imagine how that my discourage them from charging, demolishing and destroying my home and property in further attempt to get to me. And what if they're lying and are only impersonating police? What if they say "Open up, police" and then they aren't? Do you think that someone intent on killing you and your family, capable of committing homicide to rob and rape is going to be deterred from their nefarious deeds by the threat of being also charged with impersonating an officer?

Victims are in a lose-lose situation. If you present yourself to the door or a location to peacefully confer with the officers (near a door or window) what's to say that the sniper on the roof across the street doesn't put a bullet through you and your infant child (anyone remember Ruby Ridge?)

I suppose in the instance that it is the police you would likely be better off to just let them destroy your home and property than put up a fight. I mean, that's what the government is looking for, a good little compliant, obedient proletariat.

Wooley

imported post

I don't know. I'm going cross eyed over this one AND its lunch time. I may come back after grub with something more useful to say.

I think at this point I just have to say I completely respect and appreciate your position but feel that this particular situation met an appropriate outcome.

But you're right, each situation is different and until it happens we won't know how it'll go down. That and hind sight is 20/20 eh? :?