• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ryan Frederick sentencing today

Pagan

imported post

There has been atleast 3 crimes involving people inpersonating police officers in the last 3 weeks in the Hampton roads area. The first one from 2 weeks ago was a HOME INVASION, with a "no knock" style entry,a FAMILY was robbed and their car stolen, and just 2 days ago two different incidents of people being pulled over,by guys with "cop" cars complete with lights.

No knock is stupid, the CPD should be sued by the detetives family for allowing such unsound tactics, and for what, a few pot plants, not machine guns or RPG's or even to much fertelizer, justa few freakin pot plants, WTF!

noah

imported post

Also here in Chesapeake their has been two separate occasions in a couple weeks of someone impersonating police. CPD doesn't think they are linked. That means two different people. No one has been caught yet.

noah

imported post

News said here some city's are reviewing how they get rid of old police stuff. Some city's destroy while others auction them off. Police lights included!

Thundar

imported post

Ryan Frederick got 7 years. That really means 5 years & 10 months. With timecredited for time servedhe will be out in 4 years and 4 months.

Pretty steep sentence for defending yourself from a home assault.

KBCraig

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Ryan Frederick got 7 years. That really means 5 years & 10 months. With timecredited for time servedhe will be out in 4 years and 4 months.
Eh? The news report on the first page of this thread says he was sentenced to 10 years, which really means 7 years served.

Wooley

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Actually I think a jury of his peers believed that he did not defend his home against anything...at least their verdict would indicate such.

KBCraig

imported post

Wooley wrote:
Thundar wrote:
Actually I think a jury of his peers believed that he did not defend his home against anything...at least their verdict would indicate such.

It's not surprising, when the prosecution's first (and most important) "witness" was the deceased's widow, who was not there and did not witness anything.

The defense objected before the trial to including her as a witness, but felt attacking her on the stand would do more damage than good.

Wooley

imported post

Someone needed to testify for the record to the fact that the detective is no longer living. Could have used a coroner, or a supervisor...I think Commonwealth's Attorney, in this case, did a great job in prosecuting the case to the best of their ability.

Neplusultra

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Wooley wrote:
Thundar wrote:

It's not surprising, when the prosecution's first (and most important) "witness" was the deceased's widow, who was not there and did not witness anything.

The defense objected before the trial to including her as a witness, but felt attacking her on the stand would do more damage than good.
Sounds like grounds for appeal to me...... It would have been fine for her to testify during the sentencing hearing but what did she have to offer during the trial except to prejudice the jury? Did she offer evidence of guilt somehow????

KBCraig

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
Wooley wrote:
Thundar wrote:

Sounds like grounds for appeal to me...... It would have been fine for her to testify during the sentencing hearing but what did she have to offer during the trial except to prejudice the jury? Did she offer evidence of guilt somehow????
Nope, they started the trial with a victim impact statement, which should have only been heard at sentencing.

KBCraig

imported post

marshaul wrote:
How is that not grounds for appeal, or even a mistrial?
I believe it should be grounds for appeal. It obviously won't be a mistrial, since that would have to be the ruling of the same judge who allowed the testimony in the first place.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Wooley wrote:
Just let him peacefully serve out his sentence.
You've demonstrated since day one you think Frederick deserves what he got. So, you can see why I'll take this with a grain of salt. I may have no ability to affect the outcome, but I will speak out against injustice.

Wooley

imported post

I just don't feel its unjustice Marshaul. I've followed both sides of this from the get go...not that the pro LE folks had much to say.

I'm concerned with CPD practices here, but them screwing up doesn't make it ok for him to shoot blindly through a hole in the door without identifying his target.

I agree with a lot of what's shared here, but I have to respectfully disagree on this one.

Grain of salt? I can only hope so, this IS the internet afterall. :)