Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Proper placement of sidearm

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    202

    Post imported post

    I'm sure there has been a post about this before, but as I am still fairly new I was just curious. I'm just curious where everyone carries their sidearm?

    I am a 'lefty' so I typically carry mine on the left side so whenI draw I draw with my shooting hand(is that the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock?) than sometimes I switch it up and put it on my right side so if I'm feeling bold I'll reach across and draw that way. But I've also carried on my backside (is that the 12 o'clockor 6 o'clock position) it's just not comfortable when riding in the car.

    My friend is getting his CCW & he asked me but Ididn't know the answer. If he's OC'ing until he gets his permit, can he carry it on his backside like that? is that considered concealed or should he carry on the side?

  2. #2
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    Your belt buckle is 12. Right hip 3. Center of back 6. And left hip 9.

    The law does not dictate how a firearm is carried openly. You could tape it to your forehead and be legal.

    I carry just behind by right hip, about 3:30 to 4:00 o'clock, so it does not stick out as far.

    If you are a lefty, and you have a holster on your right side set up to draw with your left hand, that is called a "crossdraw".

    When you say your friend wants to carry on his "backside", I assume you mean with an inside the waistband holster. As long as the firearm is plainly visible, it should not be considered concealed. This is how schwarzi88carries.


    76-10-501

    (2) (a) "Concealed dangerous weapon" means a dangerous weapon that is covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware of its presence and is readily accessible for immediate use.


    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    202

    Post imported post

    SGT Jensen wrote:
    Your belt buckle is 12. Right hip 3. Center of back 6. And left hip 9.

    The law does not dictate how a firearm is carried openly. You could tape it to your forehead and be legal.

    I carry just behind by right hip, about 3:30 to 4:00 o'clock, so it does not stick out as far.

    If you are a lefty, and you have a holster on your right side set up to draw with your left hand, that is called a "crossdraw".

    When you say your friend wants to carry on his "backside", I assume you mean with an inside the waistband holster. As long as the firearm is plainly visible, it should not be considered concealed. This is how schwarzi88carries.


    76-10-501

    (2) (a) "Concealed dangerous weapon" means a dangerous weapon that is covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware of its presence and is readily accessible for immediate use.

    well now I know the positions. Yeah my friend he has a holster and wanted to carry it at the 6o'clock position, i just told him as long as it wasn't covered or loaded he is okay.

    Just out of curiosity: anyone know of any golf courses that don't allow firearms? i'm guessing I should just call them or go and see if they have any signs...

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Carson City, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    344

    Post imported post

    I'm a lefty and although I typically carry on the left side just behind the hip, I also like to reverse the holster and carry on the right side at about the 5 o'clock spot,drawing with the right hand.

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cottonwood Heights, Utah, USA
    Posts
    545

    Post imported post

    bmeldrum wrote:
    Just out of curiosity: anyone know of any golf courses that don't allow firearms? i'm guessing I should just call them or go and see if they have any signs...
    Check the ownership of the course in question. If it's owned by a Government, then they can't restrict you from carrying even if they have a sign. I've OC'd 18 holes, at the Riverbend Golf Course (owned and run by Salt Lake County) without incident.

    I would recommend against calling ahead of time, but do what you feel is needed. The reason I say this is because if you just go and carry, then they will 1)Not notice and therefore nothing happens, or 2)Notice and realize nothing bad is happening and do nothing. A distant third is they will make a stink. But in my opinion, once you call and warn them, then someone in management will make a fuss, and the third option is much more likely to happen.

    However if you call and ask who the course is owned or run by, that would be worth the call. I just wouldn't mention why you are asking.

    Happy golfing -

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    202

    Post imported post

    jaredbelch wrote:
    bmeldrum wrote:
    Just out of curiosity: anyone know of any golf courses that don't allow firearms? i'm guessing I should just call them or go and see if they have any signs...
    But in my opinion, once you call and warn them, then someone in management will make a fuss, and the third option is much more likely to happen.

    However if you call and ask who the course is owned or run by, that would be worth the call. I just wouldn't mention why you are asking.

    Very good point goes back to the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saratoga Springs, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,221

    Post imported post

    I'm a righty. And if my belt buckle is 12 o'clock: I carry around 2-3 o'clock, with my SERPA adjusted as forward as possible. I can sit down without interference and more importantly, when i reach for my wallet - no one hits the deck like they seemed to want to when i OCed at 3-4 o'clock.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Taylorsville, Utah, USA
    Posts
    194

    Post imported post

    Professionals, I.E. LEO's & military, typically carry at the 3:00 (9:00 for lefties) because it allows for a faster draw and it doesn't interfere with normal activities like sitting. Competitors will generally carry further forward (1:00-2:00) for faster access. Many CCWers carry on the back because it allows for greater concealability. I would discourage cross draw since it usually requires you to draw the gun pointing away from the target which increases liabilty and draw time.

    How you carry is purely individual preference based on your comfort level. If you drive for a living then a gun in the back would probably be rather uncomfortable. I recommend you start buying or borrowing inexpensive holsters and try them out for a while. Afterall, most long time gun owners have a drawer full of holsters they tried and didn't like.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •