• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal ammuntion

Faceplant

imported post

I hear from some people, the "You have to cover that." types, that hollow point ammunition is not legal to carry in our OC'd or CC'd pistols. Any truthor inaccuracy to this statement?Or maybesome municipalities have restrictions and the state has not made a determination on the subject yet.

I tried searching the Washington forum for a related topic but was unable to find one.:banghead:

deanf

imported post

No Washington law restrictions on the type of ammo you can carry. Of course there's no way to prove this, because no law exists. "That which is not specifically prohibited is permitted."

FunkTrooper

imported post

While there is no law some argue that the ammunition you use can be used against you in court. My friend was telling me awhile ago that he won't carry JHP because someone told him it wouldn't look good in court since JHP rounds are designed to "kill".

adamsesq

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
While there is no law some argue that the ammunition you use can be used against you in court. My friend was telling me awhile ago that he won't carry JHP because someone told him it wouldn't look good in court since JHP rounds are designed to "kill".

What does your friend think his gun was designed to do? I think your friend is listening to a few too many folk who talk out of their azz with nothing but the history of an urban legend to back them up. There are some great names in the gun community out there that fit this description.

I carry JHP because they give me the greatest chance of stopping the threat with the least chance of harming others that might be around. Seems to me like it would be negligence NOT to use them!

-adamsesq

joeroket

imported post

adamsesq wrote:
FunkTrooper wrote:

What does your friend think his gun was designed to do? I think your friend is listening to a few too many folk who talk out of their azz with nothing but the history of an urban legend to back them up. There are some great names in the gun community out there that fit this description.

I carry JHP because they give me the greatest chance of stopping the threat with the least chance of harming others that might be around. Seems to me like it would be negligence NOT to use them!

-adamsesq
My thoughts exactly. If I am forced to use my firearm i am using to stop the threat, not to kill someone.

Jered

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
I direct you to the relevant portion of RCW 9A.16.110:

(1) No person in the state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting by any reasonable means necessary, himself or herself, his or her family, or his or her real or personal property, or for coming to the aid of another who is in imminent danger of or the victim of assault, robbery, kidnapping, arson, burglary, rape, murder, or any other violent crime as defined in RCW 9.94A.030.

Faceplant

imported post

The reason that I usually give to someone that questions why I want to use JHP rounds is "Why do you think law enforcement uses them? The criminals sometimes have armor on." I do understand that if I shoot someone with my .40 even if it is a FMJ they are probably going to stop and "rethink" why they might want to continue with an attack. I also understand that if I am carrying JHP 155 grain they will probably hit the ground after they fly backwards a few feet and probaly not get back up.

amlevin

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Faceplant wrote:
The reason that I usually give to someone that questions why I want to use JHP rounds is "Why do you think law enforcement uses them? The criminals sometimes have armor on." I do understand that if I shoot someone with my .40 even if it is a FMJ they are probably going to stop and "rethink" why they might want to continue with an attack. I also understand that if I am carrying JHP 155 grain they will probably hit the ground after they fly backwards a few feet and probaly not get back up.
JHP's would be less effective at penetrating body armor than FMJ's would be.
Does the armor cover their neck/throat/face?

Misguided Child

imported post

Just make sure you buy good factory JHP's. I'd recommend you keep the box so you have the lot #. Gold dots are very good but you can look at AR15.com for a good review of defense loads. Don't expect anyone to fly back a few feet.

samaloney2006

imported post

:cool:Thank you funktrooper, that's exactly why I carry hollow points. A lesson I learned on some CD's from the Firearms Academy of Seattle,date the box of hollow points as to when you bought them, keep reloading(the pistol and magazine) withthe same factory loadsover and over (unless of course you have to use them). If you are ever unfortunate enough to wind up in court rest assured the D.A. will try to use the hollow pointsagainst you. Your argument (attorney of course) is the very reason funktrooper stated. Less chance of collateral damage and excellent stopping power. The reason for dating the boxes isso that when an "expert" test the loads he will know by that datethat they are all from the same batch, and they will be tested. "DO NOT CARRY RELOADS". If you wound up shooting reloads you will be "blasted" they will not all be the same hence the D.A. does not know what you shot. I do not know how many of you folks know about theFirearms and Academy of Seattle and there off shoot they started called"Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network", it's gone nation wide. It is on there website (just google it up)it and the classes are worth every single penny.One last comment, do not mix batches of any carry ammunition.

virgil47

imported post

+10000 on the reloads. I believe that the best policy is to find out what the local law enforcement uses and then use that ammo. If questioned on the lethality of your ammo simply tell them that you are using the same type as the local law enforcement. I doubt a prosecutor would try to convince anyone that the local police are using ammo that is designed for the express purpose of killing. I was given this advice some years ago by a friend that was a lieutenant in the Seattle PD.

joeroket

imported post

virgil47 wrote:
+10000 on the reloads. I believe that the best policy is to find out what the local law enforcement uses and then use that ammo. If questioned on the lethality of your ammo simply tell them that you are using the same type as the local law enforcement. I doubt a prosecutor would try to convince anyone that the local police are using ammo that is designed for the express purpose of killing. I was given this advice some years ago by a friend that was a lieutenant in the Seattle PD.
That is exactly what my dad used to do with his personal firearms also. He carried the exact same brand and style that SPD issued for his service pistol his .45 and 9mm

deanf

imported post

LOL. So how many times per month or year do you guys call the local PD to find out what loads they carry? They do change from time to time you know.

cdjspider

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:

My defense to that would be that I use JHP because they are less likely to go right through someone and hit something I didnt want to, which is important for me sense I live in an apartment. Oddly enough I use the same ammo to local PD use, at least from what im told :)

joeroket

imported post

deanf wrote:
LOL.  So how many times per month or year do you guys call the local PD to find out what loads they carry?  They do change from time to time you know.

I don't think anyone said they call local PD's to ask. It was just being stated a a possible defense to a prosecutors assertion that the ammo used by someone is only designed to kill.

I honestly couldn't care less what they use. I use what I am comfortable with and what I think through my own research will give me the results I want.

samaloney2006

imported post

:(I should have mentioned about using what your local police department uses. Excellent advice. I was thinking of my own situation. Our local police use 9 MM's and I carry a .45.