• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brady Bunch not happy with Obama

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.bradycampaign.org/media/release.php?release=1135

Washington, DC - Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, issued the following statement today about the Obama Administration’s failure to propose, in its FY 2010 budget, repeal of the “Tiahrt Amendments” that require the destruction of most Brady background check records, prohibit the government from requiring gun dealers to fully account for their firearms, and prohibit public access to crucial information about guns used in crime:

“We are profoundly disappointed that President Obama has failed to follow through with his promises for ‘openness’ by reaffirming much of the so-called Tiahrt Amendments. This means a continuation of the reckless Bush-era policies that endanger public safety and make it easier for criminals to obtain illegal firearms.

“President Obama’s proposal undermines the landmark Brady Law by continuing the dangerous Bush Administration policy requiring the destruction of most Brady background check records in just 24 hours. The government has found that this policy has allowed guns to remain in the hands of hundreds of criminals whose gun purchases were mistakenly approved. How can the President reconcile this policy with his recent statement calling for stronger enforcement of our gun laws?

“President Obama continues to bar the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) from requiring that gun dealers keep track of their firearms by conducting annual inventories - a standard practice for law-abiding businesses. A Brady Center analysis last year found that more than 30,000 guns were ‘missing’ from licensed gun dealers. Gun dealers who have large numbers of guns ‘disappear’ from their inventory often supply criminals. The D.C.-area snipers killed 10 people using an assault rifle they obtained from a gun shop that ‘lost’ at least 238 guns, including the snipers’ assault rifle, over a three year period.”

“In addition, President Obama has made the Tiahrt Amendments’ unprecedented ban on public disclosure of crime gun trace information even worse than before, now even prohibiting law enforcement from communicating it to the public it serves. Prior to 2003, non-confidential trace data was available to researchers, public officials, the media and the public, and enabled all of us to better understand the sources of illegal guns, patterns of gun trafficking, the role of gun dealers in supplying the illegal market and other key facts informing public policy. With gun violence continuing to lead to high levels of death and injury in so many places in our country, policy makers need more, not less, information on the sources of these crime guns. We are saddened to see this ‘gun exception’ to the President’s stated commitment to ‘an unprecedented level of openness in Government.’”

"The Tiahrt Amendments have always been about pleasing a special interest lobby at the expense of public safety. Congress should delete the proposed language and do what the Obama-Biden ticket called for last year when their campaign said they ‘would repeal the Tiahrt amendment.’”

Huck

imported post

Helmke andhis ilkjust want access to that info so that they can harass honest gun dealers.

Here's to you Bradys!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Notso wrote:
http://www.bradycampaign.org/media/release.php?release=1135

Washington, DC - Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, issued the following statement today about the Obama Administration’s failure to propose, in its FY 2010 budget, repeal of the “Tiahrt Amendments” that require the destruction of most Brady background check records, prohibit the government from requiring gun dealers to fully account for their firearms, and prohibit public access to crucial information about guns used in crime...
+1 Obama (so far)

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
I'm thinkin it's just a matter of time tho',,,

Mmmm, I am not so pessimistic.

NRA, GOA, SAF, etc. are our mainstay in the political realm. It's really amazing how powerful the gun lobby is. The political shift to the left in the last year is HUGE. Yet the Dems/Obama still don't have enough juice to do anything significantly changing our rights adversely.

They will continue to try, of course.

Join and support the NRA, GOA, SAF, etc. And keep making your legislators aware of your feelings on 2A and gun matters.

Also, don't do or tolerate stoopid stuff like Shannon Burke did...:X

BillMCyrus

imported post

The anti gun political complex (composed of LE unions, the anti gun organizations, anti gun media, Soros and affiliates, big city political machines, the academic left, etc.) paid a lot of money to get him elected, so of course they're going to demand their money's worth.

Dustin

imported post

796.jpg

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BillMCyrus wrote:
The anti gun political complex (composed of LE unions, the anti gun organizations, anti gun media, Soros and affiliates, big city political machines, the academic left, etc.) paid a lot of money to get him elected, so of course they're going to demand their money's worth.
That's right, it was all the anti-gun lobby!

:quirky

Alexcabbie

imported post

Methinks the Brady Bunch are crying crocodile tears. See if they are critical of Obama for not doing their bidding, some of us gun owners are going to feel confident and let down our guard. These are sick, sick, sick twisted people and although many of them have their own private reasons for wnting to get rid of firearms and the 2A, not one in ten of them is really concerned about anyone else's safety. Some have a leftist agenda, some have transferred their anger over a loved one's death or injury from the perp to firearms (Sarah, God bless her, was herself sucked into this by the Anti's playing to her grief and it is a common tactic) The one glaring fact that contradicts everything they say is that every mass shooting with more than three dead has occurred in a "gun-free" environment. A Bradyite the other day angrily and loudly screamed at me "What about the shooting at the Fairfax County Police station where all those cops were killed!?" Never mind that only two cops were killed before the shooter was brought down (and two is two too many) but if he had opened fire on say a Brady bunch picnic he might have killed them all unless one of us was in the park to stop him. As to this kvetching, remember that everything these slimeballs do has a purpose, so don't get all overconfident.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Methinks the Brady Bunch are crying crocodile tears. See if they are critical of Obama for not doing their bidding, some of us gun owners are going to feel confident and let down our guard. These are sick, sick, sick twisted people and although many of them have their own private reasons for wnting to get rid of firearms and the 2A, not one in ten of them is really concerned about anyone else's safety. Some have a leftist agenda, some have transferred their anger over a loved one's death or injury from the perp to firearms (Sarah, God bless her, was herself sucked into this by the Anti's playing to her grief and it is a common tactic) The one glaring fact that contradicts everything they say is that every mass shooting with more than three dead has occurred in a "gun-free" environment. A Bradyite the other day angrily and loudly screamed at me "What about the shooting at the Fairfax County Police station where all those cops were killed!?" Never mind that only two cops were killed before the shooter was brought down (and two is two too many) but if he had opened fire on say a Brady bunch picnic he might have killed them all unless one of us was in the park to stop him. As to this kvetching, remember that everything these slimeballs do has a purpose, so don't get all overconfident.

You're right Alexcabbie.

I posed a hypothetical scenario to some Brady Bunch advocates, and gave them 2 options to chose from for the situation. They wouldn't make a choice.

The scenario:
Your community is experiencing what appears to be a serial rapist/muderer. You or your wife, GF, daughter, mother, whatever female loved one is alone and finds your/herself face to face with this menace. What would you like to have in your hand (or your female loved ones hand), A) a cell phone, OR B) a loaded handgun?

They always have a coniption when I confront them with this challenge. They declare the exercise as being irrellevant, stupid, obsurd, etc. But they absolutely refuse to say which option they would choose. They make it pretty obvious that they really don't care about any ones safety.

KansasMustang

imported post

HankT wrote:
KansasMustang wrote:
I'm thinkin it's just a matter of time tho',,,

Mmmm, I am not so pessimistic.

NRA, GOA, SAF, etc. are our mainstay in the political realm. It's really amazing how powerful the gun lobby is. The political shift to the left in the last year is HUGE. Yet the Dems/Obama still don't have enough juice to do anything significantly changing our rights adversely.
Not a pessimist, just a realist. Oh they'll never get socialized medicine through, then there's the welfare program that allows for "children age 30" fer chrissake being subsidized by MY tax dollars. And what 70 million to fund "Acorn" so they can do a completely falsified Census. No my friend, I'm not a pessimist, just watchin' all the bull@#$% happening and seing more people lulled into a false sense of security. "I didn't say anything when they came for the Jews because I'm not Jewish,,,keep on smelling the roses,,soon you'll smell the sent of oven roasted,,,

D94R

imported post

Notso wrote:
The Tiahrt Amendments have always been about pleasing a special interest lobby at the expense of public safety.

Funny, the following could be said.

"The Brady Campaign has always been about pleasing a special interest lobby at the expense of public safety."

Ironic?

Alexcabbie

imported post

D94R wrote:
Notso wrote:
The Tiahrt Amendments have always been about pleasing a special interest lobby at the expense of public safety.

Funny, the following could be said.

"The Brady Campaign has always been about pleasing a special interest lobby at the expense of public safety."

Ironic?
Oh my. You made me go back and check the OP, because I dont think that even our resident troll/mole would have dared write something like that. Sure enuf that's not Brother Notso's writing, that's a quote from an idiot Bradyite. Phew. I was about to start calling him "nutso" ;)

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

They would behave VERY differently if they had the filibuster-proof senate. And we still don't know if they'll get it.

They aren't being timid because of the Gun Lobby. they know there will be a price to pay, and they're just waiting for a guarantee that they can launch their assault and the damage will be done before that price is paid.

When they finally "pull the trigger" on it, you can be certain that it will be done swiftly and without the buildup they usually have.

If and when they do take anti-gun action, it will come swiftly and without warning. The gears of Congress will have never turned faster. They don't want a fight, they want a guaranteed surgical strike.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ixtow wrote:
They would behave VERY differently if they had the filibuster-proof senate. And we still don't know if they'll get it.

They aren't being timid because of the Gun Lobby. they know there will be a price to pay, and they're just waiting for a guarantee that they can launch their assault and the damage will be done before that price is paid.

When they finally "pull the trigger" on it, you can be certain that it will be done swiftly and without the buildup they usually have.

If and when they do take anti-gun action, it will come swiftly and without warning. The gears of Congress will have never turned faster. They don't want a fight, they want a guaranteed surgical strike.
That "surgical strike" may come back against them.