• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ok, so what would happen here...

hsmith

imported post

Obama visited perhaps the best place in NoVA to get a burger, Rays Hells Burgers in Arlington on the 5th. I go here at least once a week and love it.

Now, question being, what goes down with President + Open Carrying?

Would you be "asked" to leave? Would you be "forced" to leave? What code would give the SS the privilege to remove you from the establishment?

I mean, easiest thing would be for them to go to the owner "That guy needs to leave" and the whole thing would be over.

I am just pissed because now every guy and his mother knows about this place! Line was insane today!

hunter45

imported post

They would just say you were a threat to national security and would force you to leave. That would rule over any law.

hsmith

imported post

hunter45 wrote:
They would just say you were a threat to national security and would force you the leave. That would rule over any law.
In all honesty, it would not be a "fight" I would care to engage in. I'd leave once asked to.

But lets say you were just sitting there, strong side in, SS comes in does a quick scan, then the POTUS rolls in. WTF are you going to do?

Then again, if you were concealing (RHB does not have a ABC License) no one would be the wiser.

hunter45

imported post

hsmith wrote:
hunter45 wrote:
They would just say you were a threat to national security and would force you the leave. That would rule over any law.
In all honesty, it would not be a "fight" I would care to engage in. I'd leave once asked to.

But lets say you were just sitting there, strong side in, SS comes in does a quick scan, then the POTUS rolls in. WTF are you going to do?

That's a good question. I think that the secret service was probably in there well before Obama got there to make a sweep of the place. But I suppose it's possible that the situation that you described can occur. I don't know what they would do, but I don't think I'd want to be in that situation.

CharlesC

imported post

Here's what I think would happen:

The SS would take you to the ground, disarmed, tazed and toss you in a Federal cell for awhile. They do not ask questions. They do not care about your rights, you do NOT get to be armed anywhere near the President in such a situation. They WILL find some way to charge you for something.

It would not matter of the President just showed up. You would not get to explain, nor would you be "asked to leave." You will just be gone.

~CharlesC

doug23838

imported post

Here's a situation where the owner of the restaurant should exercise his right to refuse service to anyone he wants..... if ya know what I mean.

Now that would make the news.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

CharlesC wrote:

The SS would take you to the ground, disarmed, tazed and toss you in a Federal cell for awhile. They do not ask questions. They do not care about your rights, you do NOT get to be armed anywhere near the President in such a situation. They WILL find some way to charge you for something.

It would not matter of the President just showed up. You would not get to explain, nor would you be "asked to leave." You will just be gone.

~CharlesC

I doubt that they would do that if they found someone to be OCing before the president got there.

I could seethe disarming parthappening if they found someone OCing after the president was there.

nova

imported post

Just wait until one of the secret service guys print, and then yell HE'S GOT A GUN!!! and wait until everyone starts running around then make your discrete exit with your burger.

PT111

imported post

hsmith wrote:
hunter45 wrote:

Then again, if you were concealing (RHB does not have a ABC License) no one would be the wiser.
I doubt that you have to worry about the SS doing a "quick" scan before the POTUS rolls in. If that did happen, you were carrying when the POTUS rolled in and the SS did not know about itheads would also roll including yours.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, some guy had enough time to throw two shoes at Bush, so I think you may have time to discreetly make an exit without drawing too much attention to yourself. :)

If I were in that situation, I'd either stay until they left if I had nowhere to be, or either get the attention of the nearest agent and quietly explain the situation, and ask how I should proceed / exit.

ETA: smiley

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Regarding the president being out and about in a public place....I wonder if we will ever have a president who carries a handgun? Either CC or OC, itwould be so cool.

I wonder if we have ever had a pres who carried while in office?

CRF250rider1000

imported post

HankT wrote:
Regarding the president being out and about in a public place....I wonder if we will ever have a president who carries a handgun? Either CC or OC, itwould be so cool.

I can tell you one thing- It wont be Obama

hsmith

imported post

HankT wrote:

No doubt we have HAD presidents that carried, but they have absolutely 0 need to do so once they have SS protection.

Spectre

imported post

CharlesC wrote:

~CharlesC

I wonder sometimes about how much longer till the Gov't approved black bags come out.

------------
Gov't Croney: "I'm sorry I have no record of a 'Mr. Spectre' ever existing the the People's Republic of America."

Mother: "But he is my son! I have a copy of his birth certificate."

Gov't Croney: "Oh that 'Mr. Spectre'! Oh yes he was found to be an enemy of the state and was sent to a 'Education Center'. He has since changed his name to Obama Jr. He is much more 'personable' now."
------------

It's a very real possibility.:uhoh:

MSC 45ACP

imported post

St. Elizabeth's has some very nice padded cells where they can hold"Federal Prisoners" indefinitely without trial or charges. Very Scary chit, there

AB

imported post

They would probablytoss you in jail

Imagineyou were going on a hunting trip in a few days "guns it case" and going about your own business checking into a hotel.

Just look at Joseph Calanchini of Wyoming, They lockedhim up and ask questions later, and fully abused the law just to show Mr. Calanchini "who has the power".

This guy wasn't even OCing, he was just doing what any normal person would do that was leaving for an international hunting trip.
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_10292295

He had torent guns on his hunting trip in South Africa.

Prosecutors said ...they won't bring criminal charges against a man who carried guns in a case into a Denver hotel during the Democratic National Convention...
...He says he's relieved the case is closed but hasn't gotten back his guns or other personal items seized from his truck...
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Sep15/0,4670,PelosiHotelArrest,00.html

Even after they dropped charges they still continued to abuseMr. Calanchiniby holding his guns.

Theytreat the Constitution in such a way that allowsyour rightsto beinfringed upon "on the fly".

Article II Section 13. of the Colorado Constitutionstates: The right of no person to keep and bear arms ...shall be called in question...

Back to the point of this thread, in my opinion they would do a preliminarysweep of the area and "lock you up" till "they" decided it was time to let you out.

"The constitution by itself is like - writing in the sand, unless youdefend it day and night, the wind, rain and men will trample it till you can no longer recognize what it says." - AB

zoom6zoom

imported post

hsmith wrote:
HankT wrote:

No doubt we have HAD presidents that carried, but they have absolutely 0 need to do so once they have SS protection.
I'd guess that Teddy Roosevelt was one who still took some responsibility for his own protection. But was probably the last.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OK, the best circumstance I can imagine would have been what happened when JFK was in the White House and wanted to get dinner at Durgin Park (Boston dining landmark). SS asked for the place to close up so POTUS & clan could eat there.

Management called every radio station & newspaper in town and publically told SS & JFK they could either stand in line for a seat like everybody else of go pound sand.

I understand JFK had whatever the cook at the family compound had fixed that night.:D

Unfortunately, Obama & Biden cost the taxpayers several hundred thousand dollars for the motorcade, local cops time, and that SS did a sweep of the place before the Suburbans rolled up. It was polite, professional, but there was a check of everyone inside and passing by on the sidewalk. About the only thing that did not happen was the passing out of digital caneras so the faithful could take pictures.

Do not believe that POTUS and VPOTUS walk among the commoners at will. Quite frankly, given that we are still at Security Level Yellow, I was amazed that POTUS and VPOTUS were permitted to be at the same location at the same time. (Imagine Pelosi's thoughts as that took place :shock:).

stay safe.

skidmark

richarcm

imported post

It seems to me that, assuming everything worked as it SHOULD, the state government would have every right to get nasty with the feds for harassing its residents for doing nothing wrong in accordinance with state or federal law. It would seem that the federal govt SHOULD have to give some sort of notice as to the president's whereabouts. It would seem that if the President could just roll up anywhere and force disarmerment that they could do so anywhere. (gun shows, gun shops, NRA sanctioned events, etc). Surely this COULD and maybe WOULD take place...but SHOULDN'T. If it were to happen and you had a RESPONSIBLE state government I would assume (I know, I know) that the state government would tell the feds to either follow a fair protocol or back off.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

skidmark wrote:
OK, the best circumstance I can imagine would have been what happened when JFK was in the White House and wanted to get dinner at Durgin Park (Boston dining landmark). SS asked for the place to close up so POTUS & clan could eat there.

Management called every radio station & newspaper in town and publically told SS & JFK they could either stand in line for a seat like everybody else of go pound sand.

I understand JFK had whatever the cook at the family compound had fixed that night.:D

Unfortunately, Obama & Biden cost the taxpayers several hundred thousand dollars for the motorcade, local cops time, and that SS did a sweep of the place before the Suburbans rolled up. It was polite, professional, but there was a check of everyone inside and passing by on the sidewalk. About the only thing that did not happen was the passing out of digital caneras so the faithful could take pictures.

Do not believe that POTUS and VPOTUS walk among the commoners at will. Quite frankly, given that we are still at Security Level Yellow, I was amazed that POTUS and VPOTUS were permitted to be at the same location at the same time. (Imagine Pelosi's thoughts as that took place :shock: ).

stay safe.

skidmark
I was in a restaurant on Wilson Boulevard that day - as the surrounding streets got shut down and the motorcade passed by. When I found out why, I wondered too what would have happened.

News reports made it sound like this was a spur-of-the-moment trip. I'm reasonably certain he wasn't channeling Michael Douglass (The American President), and that the SS had pretty thoroughly checked the place. It's rather clear that the news media was there, which every person in the place knew someone was coming in. And in this town, not every "celebrity" gets a news crew.

So what would have happened if someone in there had been armed? I see possible scenarios -- you guess which is most likely:
- SS sees someone open carrying; they wait until he leaves and POTUS/VPOTUS come in.
- SS sees someone open carrying; they "persuade" him to leave and POTUS/VPOTUS come in -- open carrier never gets his gun back.
- SS sees someone open carrying; they choose another restaurant

And since I had been thinking about this, I'm thinking if this were to happen, except for the first scenario, we'd all know about it in short order.