• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cheyenne Walmart

AB

imported post

Walmart managers don't know store policyand theyreally don't care to know!

Well folks, after helping getting this issue cleared up in Sheridan, we now have the same thing in Cheyenne.

I was approached by two assistant managers and was told that I would have to leave the store.

They told me that the store policyis that "no guns at all were allowed in the store, not even concealed carry was allowed".

I told them that I have personally been involved in this issue at Walmart stores around the state and started to explain to them what the policy was, however they didn't want to hear it and I was then told that "you will have to leave or we will call the police".

These two managers followed me to the front and I asked them if I could find my wife and they told me ""they couldn't have me in the store".

I tried to tell them "really, I have clarified the policy at other Walmart stores in Wyoming" and they again stated to me that "you have to leave or we will call the police".

While I am not sure, this is probably another case of managers that come from other states that prohibit OC and really don't know Walmart policy.

Either way they are part of the anti-gun crowd and will beat us down every chance they get.

The part that I find so irritating is that I have went above and beyond to know without a doubt what Walmart policy is.

I left the store and waited for my wife at the car, I felt that if I had covered and CCed that these same bozo's would have come for round two since they stated that you couldn't even CC in the store.

The Assistant managers names are Bebe and Jeremiah and this happened at 9:35 pm on friday 5-8-09

The Store is Cheyenne #1315 and the phone number is 307-632-4330, please call and ask for the store manager and politely tell them about our position and that of Walmart's HQ.

We must let them know collectively how we feel about this directly at the store level, I will also work on this similarly to the Sheridan and Casper stores.

Also see "Stopped at the Sheridan Wal-Mart for OC"-
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum58/24149.html

old dog

imported post

What is it with Wal-Mart management? One would think by now they'd have the word.
Is it that they have a high turnover with lots of newbies? Or are they just generally hostile? Or maybe not the sharpest knives in the drawer?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

old dog wrote:
What is it with Wal-Mart management? One would think by now they'd have the word.
Is it that they have a high turnover with lots of newbies? Or are they just generally hostile? Or maybe not the sharpest knives in the drawer?

It's a big bureaucracy. It's primarypurpose is to stream goods into the populace efficiently and effectively. It doesn't handle wellaberrations incidental to that main purpose. The Wal-Mart problem has been around for years. Likely, it'll be around for years more. It's not very surprising at all in the current stage of diffusion of OC.

P.S. I hope the OP didn't dally in leaving the store when he was told to. Plenty of opportunity to fix the situation later, no matter how frustrating that usually is. "Please leave" means right now. Not a good idea to delay the OCer's exiting of the store for any reason, no matter how logical or right it might seem. (e.g., "Let me get my wife first!")

MatieA

imported post

Hmm, I have been in that Walmart several times with no problem. I would volunteer to OC in there tomorrow but I am on narcotic Pain relievers, and muscle relaxants, until my surgery in 3 weeks, so I am not carrying at all right now. I figure if the Doc says "no driving while taking these" it would be pretty irresponsible of me to carry my sidearm. Maybe I'll talk the wife into going to Walmart tomorrow, and OC'ing her 9mm to protect me? ;)
Anyway let us know if you get it worked out. I have friends that carry in there, I'll have to ask if they've been bothered.

Edit: 1538 09 May 2009

I just spoke to a store Manager (Nick) and he stated that it is not against store policy to carry in their store, BUT if 2 or more customers complain, then they will either ask the person to cover it, or ask them to leave. He was aware of corporate policy on firearms, and stated that noone will ask a person carrying to leave unless customers are complaining.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

'Wonder if the same thing would happen if customers complained about a hassidic Jew in a black hat or a black man wearing dreadlocks? How can you enforce complaints against a recognized 'right'? I'd sue the sonsabitchesfor unlawful discrimination. Y'all want diversity... there it is!

MatieA

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
'Wonder if the same thing would happen if customers complained about a hassidic Jew in a black hat or a black man wearing dreadlocks? How can you enforce complaints against a recognized 'right'? I'd sue the sonsabitchesfor unlawful discrimination. Y'all want diversity... there it is!

Umm, from what I've seen it's the white punks with the dreadlocks, most of the black peole here are doing the 'Afro ' thing again.

OMG!! the Afro I thought it died out for a reason!! LOL

But seriously I do get your point.

AB

imported post

Walmart Manager Took Action to Correct Wrong

Problem resolved, the manager in Sheridan helped to quickly resolve this matter in Cheyenne.

I was told by phone that the main manager in Cheyenne sent out a memo to his team in an effort to clear up the confusion about the Firearms carry policy.

I confirmed this in person at the store today, Bebe the manager that had previously told me to leave the store,now stated that this matter was resolved and the correct policy was cited.

Once again, most of us knowWalmart policy, just a matter of getting the store managers on the same page.