Thread: Sign At Sprinker

Post imported post

Here's a picture I snapped of the sign.

Sprinker is a recreation area run by Pierce County Parks & Recreation, so preemption applies.

I didn't want to make a scene since I was there with a church group, but I did take a picture.

Post imported post

gotta love how the "No loitering" is on the sign right next to the firearm warning. So, even if preemption applies, they just roust you out for loitering.
    Damn hippies anyway...
    When the **** hits the fan, ask yourself: What Would Bugly Do?

Post imported post

you gonna send them an email or give them a call?

Post imported post

I'll call Pierce County Parks and Recreation during normal business hours on Monday or Tuesday. I'm still recovering from the hockey game and the large dose of ibuprofen afterwards.

I'm also going to make sure that I have my ducks in a row and dig of the AG opinion about the regs that they're trying to pass in Seattle.

Post imported post

Just remember if the county has turned over the operation of the rec center to a third party then, yes they can ban weapons - Think about the stadiums in Seattle, same issue.

Post imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
    Just remember if the county has turned over the operation of the rec center to a third party then, yes they can ban weapons - Think about the stadiums in Seattle, same issue.
    Sorry, the Stadiums are leased to the third parties. It then becomes their property (subject to the terms of the lease) to manage.

In the case of someone just operating under a management contract, the "property" is still that of the county and not subject to the same rules as for leased property.

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

Sorry, the Stadiums are leased to the third parties.
    This is what I was referring to.........

Post imported post

good thinking....I look forward to reading your message and their response.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

bugly wrote:
    gotta love how the "No loitering" is on the sign right next to the firearm warning. So, even if preemption applies, they just roust you out for loitering.
    Damn hippies anyway...
    Unless you have criminal intent, loitering laws can't really be enforced either. I am not sure what Washington state veiws on this are but the supreme court ruled against loitering laws of Chicago in 1999. So standing around openly carrying isn't illegal.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
    I don't know Washington statutes or case law, but it's a general legal principle that the lessor can't transfer rights they don't have. If a government doesn't have the authority to ban firearms, neither do their lessees.

Post imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
    bugly wrote:
    Damn hippies anyway...
    Unless you have criminal intent, loitering laws can't really be enforced either. I am not sure what Washington state veiws on this are but the supreme court ruled against loitering laws of Chicago in 1999. So standing around openly carrying isn't illegal.
    If the USSC said that, then it applies to Washington State.

Post imported post

Thanks for asking.

I meant to, but I'm working on moving for a new job, so life happened.

Post imported post

NavyLT wrote:
    Situation seems to be resolved in our favor:

Hi John:

John you are correct the sign is wrong so I have asked the Sprinker Manager to have someone either remove or cover over the language so that we will be in compliance with the RCW. About a year and half ago we changed or covered over all the other rules signs in our Parks System but we must have missed these at Sprinker Rec. Center. Anyway Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Kent Baskett

Superintendent of Parks & Operations
    Too bad this individual is only Super of Parks and Ops. He seems like he has his stuff together and should be much higher in County Government.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

Congratulations to both John and Kent. A great example of a problem identified to someone who can fix it and that person recognizing the need for repair. When I inspected concrete placement and rebar in heavy construction I learned that one measure of a man was what he did after he found our he made a mistake.

For another example of a situation needing repair, and where all involved did a good job, I refer you to the thread about open carry at the Boise Library:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum20/10401.html

MD

Opt-Out Members
    Kitsap & Whatcom Counties, Washington, USA

Post imported post

Make sure to express appreciation on behalf of all of us for following the law, and leaving personal beliefs out of it. Not enough people do...

Post imported post

NavyLT, thanks for your efforts in this matter. I just now realized that I never said "thank you". It is different from congratulations, after all.

MT