• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How does Colorado define loaded?

CJ30-06

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
CCW holders are exempt. Loaded means loaded. No round in chamber or mag in gun is unloaded. Where you carry your ammo is not on point for the definition.
NO, no, no, CCW holders are not "exempt" the definition of handgun in CRS 18-12-101 subsection E.5 says "loaded or unloaded" even if you don't have a permit and you oc, youcan carry your handgun loaded, (and that means round in the chamber) nothing in the chamber, but loaded mag is NOT loaded. (in colo)

RLCbushpilot

imported post

[/quote]
<Snip>
The handgun can also be concealed in your vehicle AND within easy reach, but NOT concealed on your person in your vehicle if you do not have a ccw permit. Look up the laws and read them, don't just take my word for it, even thought this IS the way the law is written.[/quote]

You're wrong here. Look up CRS 18-12-105. In Colorado your vehicle is an extension of your home. You may carry a handgun in your vehicle concealed anywhere, whether it is on your person or not, whether you have a CHL or not.

hansolo

Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
imported post

CJ30-06 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
CCW holders are exempt. Loaded means loaded. No round in chamber or mag in gun is unloaded. Where you carry your ammo is not on point for the definition.
NO, no, no, CCW holders are not "exempt" the definition of handgun in CRS 18-12-101 subsection E.5 says "loaded or unloaded" even if you don't have a permit and you oc, youcan carry your handgun loaded, (and that means round in the chamber) nothing in the chamber, but loaded mag is NOT loaded. (in colo)
CJ30-06, you cannot carry a firearm with one in the chamber and no mag in or on public transportation. That is still loaded. You can carry fully loaded most everywhere else in the state.

Permit holders are exempt from 18-9-118, and can carry fully loaded, openly or concealed, in or on public transportation.

hansolo

Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
imported post

CJ30-06 wrote:
hansolo wrote:
I do not have a CCW permit, so can a carry unloaded openly?
Yes, but.....You CAN carry your weapon loaded openly too.
No, I definitely cannot carry loaded in or on public transportation. You are confusing this with most everywhere else in the State, wherein you can openly carry a loaded firearm.

Gunslinger

imported post

CJ30-06 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
The question dealt with the definition of loaded, e.g., if you hand carry it from you car to a hotel in Denver where OC is illegal, without a CCW. Where lawful, loaded is fine. In Denver County, if openly carried, it must be unloaded. That means empty of ammo.

CJ30-06

imported post

Sorry guys, I realized after I had posted and logged off that I was probably confusing the situation. Sorry :?

CJ30-06

imported post

You're wrong here. Look up CRS 18-12-105. In Colorado your vehicle is an extension of your home. You may carry a handgun in your vehicle concealed anywhere, whether it is on your person or not, whether you have a CHL or not.
[/quote]True, however, think about if you are asked to step out of your car by a police officer, you are now illegally concealing the weapon outside the "extension of your home." So, yes, you can conceal on your person in your car, but that would be a tricky situation if you did get pulled over, and were asked to step out of your car, now what do you do? grab the gun and put it on the seat, meanwhile getting shot by the cop, who is perfectly justified in that?

RLCbushpilot

imported post

CJ30-06 wrote:
True, however, think about if you are asked to step out of your car by a police officer, you are now illegally concealing the weapon outside the "extension of your home." So, yes, you can conceal on your person in your car, but that would be a tricky situation if you did get pulled over, and were asked to step out of your car, now what do you do? grab the gun and put it on the seat, meanwhile getting shot by the cop, who is perfectly justified in that?[/quote]

No. I'd inform the officer that I was carrying and ask him how to proceed. Same thing I would do if I were open carrying or concealed with a permit. I would never run the risk of a police officer seeing my gun and being surprised and rightfully alarmed. Better to inform first. If you don't want it on your person then that is fine. But it is perfectly legal.

RLCbushpilot

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
CJ30-06 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
CCW holders are exempt.  Loaded means loaded.  No round in chamber or mag in gun is unloaded. Where you carry your ammo is not on point for the definition.
The question dealt with the definition of loaded, e.g., if you hand carry it from you car to a hotel in Denver where OC is illegal, without a CCW. Where lawful, loaded is fine. In Denver County, if openly carried, it must be unloaded. That means empty of ammo.

In Denver County you cannot open carry period. It doesn't matter whether it is loaded or unloaded. The only place you can open carry in Denver County is private property.

Gunslinger

imported post

RLCbushpilot wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
CJ30-06 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

In Denver County you cannot open carry period. It doesn't matter whether it is loaded or unloaded. The only place you can open carry in Denver County is private property.
You can transport a firearm openly from your vehicle to any place where you may have it in your possession in Denver County if the firearm is unloaded. Car to hotel, car to shooting range, your home to a neighbors, etc. While it's not strictly "open" carry, it is an exception to their grandfathered municipal code. The difference is called peaceful transport.

RLCbushpilot

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
RLCbushpilot wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
CJ30-06 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
CCW holders are exempt.  Loaded means loaded.  No round in chamber or mag in gun is unloaded. Where you carry your ammo is not on point for the definition.

You can transport a firearm openly from your vehicle to any place where you may have it in your possession in Denver County if the firearm is unloaded. Car to hotel, car to shooting range, your home to a neighbors, etc. While it's not strictly "open" carry, it is an exception to their grandfathered municipal code. The difference is called peaceful transport.

Do you have a municipal code citation for this? I've always understood that you were legal to open carry only on private property in Denver.

Gunslinger

imported post

RLCbushpilot wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
RLCbushpilot wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
CJ30-06 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

Do you have a municipal code citation for this? I've always understood that you were legal to open carry only on private property in Denver.
No, but Colorado is full preemption of local laws concerning firearms. The grandfathered no open carry in Denver County concerns only carry, which in generally established black letter law means on your person. Carrying in a gun case from and to places where you are legally seized of the firearm is state purview, not local. As I noted on the car to shooting range above, or car to gunshop, only the state can regulate this. And there is nothing prohibiting it. Denver's grandfathered munci code only goes so far.

RLCbushpilot

imported post

Carrying in a gun case is not openly carrying. I agree that you can transport the firearm in a guncase from place to place but that's not the same as open carrying unloaded.

Adamdude04

imported post

There are a ton of undercover LEO on RTD buses. I'm sure you'll get pulled off the bus a few times and brought under question - thus causing a delay making you late to work/school.

...This is a tough one. :?