• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I think it's time we make a Michigan open carry legality quiz that can be taken online.

Michigander

imported post

I've added several more questions.

As I said before, please don't be shy about making your own questions to add. If you're new, and unsure about something, you can look it up, and make a question out of it. Even if it's some what already covered by what I've got down so far, it doesn't hurt to be repetitive. Repetition in tests can ensure that the test taker has an accurate understanding of the information covered.

Michigander

imported post

BUMP.

I've added several more questions. I think it's getting to be pretty substantial, but I'm sure there is more that could be added, and I'm sure the questions could be cleaned up some. So again, suggestions are welcome.

Michigander

imported post

I haven't got any done yet. :?

I've been planning on getting the explanations written out after the quiz is for sure finished.

Michigander

imported post

Some of them have 2 right answers, and no option for both A and B or some such thing. I did it that way to make it as confusing as possible. I did this because the reason I made it in the first place is to shake the confidence of new comers who falsely feel like they know enough to open carry without fear of being criminally charged. But if we can get a group consensus that that is an annoying and unnecessary way to do it, I'll go back and change them, or someone else can.

However, in the case of #1, only the Starbucks is the correct answer. Every other one is a state sponsored criminal empowerment zone.

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

What is the restriction on a Marathon gas station?

I am all for tricky answers, but having multiple correct answers when there is an assumption of one correct answer... my brain just melts. Perhaps you could have a "check all that apply" question (s).

Michigander

imported post

Nearly all gas stations that I have been to sell alcohol. It is very rare to find one that doesn't. And due to Michigan law, this makes them constitution free zones.

And yeah, adding check all that apply would be a good idea. I'll go back and add directions.

Well, I'm going to go back on this statement, because I was at 2 gas stations today that don't sell beer. I guess it's because I go to the same ones usually.:uhoh:

Just re edited the question, again. ;)

Michigander

imported post

I've been doing some more work on this yet. One of these I wrote, but I don't even know the answer to. Specifically 20-

(20)- An OCer wants to take his 16 year old son with him to an open carry event at a McDonalds, and he wants to let him carry one of his pistols.
A- He can't, it would be a felony to let him borrow a hand gun that isn't his.
B- He can let him carry, but he must be in the immediate area at all times.
C- The law only allows someone under 18 to be in possession of a pistol while hunting or target shooting, and always with the direct supervision of the pistols owner.
D- None of the above are true.

Who here knows the right answer to this:question:

:uhoh:

BreakingTheMold

imported post

I'm not sure if it's a felony. But you can only 'Borrow' a pistol with a CPL. As well as having to be 18 in MI to OC. You also have to be 18 or older to hunt with a pistol.

So, without referencing anything, I'd say D

Michigander

imported post

D was what I put as a fail safe option, in case none of them are true. But I'd like to think that B might be true, because I do know that a minor can shoot handguns legally. Anyone have the laws handy?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

If one needs a pistol permit, how can shooting ranges "rent" a pistol to people? I know it's "private property", but a person still needs to get a permit even if they are going to possess the pistol only in the home.

BreakingTheMold

imported post

The range is like shooting with your buddy, you don't need a PtP if your just shooting it. Only if your hunting or using it for personal use without the owner in proximity, then you would need a PtP. Whether hunting, defense, going camping to go plinking, etc.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:
The range is like shooting with your buddy, you don't need a PtP if your just shooting it. Only if your hunting or using it for personal use without the owner in proximity, then you would need a PtP. Whether hunting, defense, going camping to go plinking, etc.
So, if the permit is not needed if supervised, like you said,and the law says that a person under 18 can possess a firearm w/ supervision, it appears that possession of a pistol, by a person under the age of 18 is legal, as long as the person under 18 is supervised.

MCL750.234f Possession of firearm by person less than 18 years of age; exceptions; violation as misdemeanor;penalty.
Sec. 234f. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), an individual less than 18 years of age shall not possess a firearm in public except under the direct supervision of an individual 18 years of age or older.

(There are other exceptions for hunting, range, etc, I snipped this section for brevity)

Michigander

imported post

So it's probably legal huh? Maybe likely to cause getting hassled though.

dougwg wrote:
What do I win if I get them all right? ;)
For you Doug, I'll offer up an "Abraham Lincoln Challenge coin". But only if you get the questions completely right the first time.

Michigander

imported post

Here are the answers as best as I know them. Please let me know if it appears I'm wrong about any of them.

1 c
2 d
3 d
4 b
5 e
6 a
7 d
8 c
9 b
10 c
11 d
12 a and c