• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How To Carry to a Range without a CHP?

22crew

imported post

I'm going to try to go to the range for the first time tomorrow with my G19. I am still waiting on my CCW. How do i go about getting to the range safely and legally? I have a range bag and the case my G19 came in. Can i carry it in my range bag or does it have to be in the case? What are the ins and outs of this procedure? Thanks.

22crew

ravonaf

imported post

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry. A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature. B. This section shall not apply to any person while in his own place of abode or the curtilage thereof. Except as provided in subsection J1, this section shall not apply to: 1. Any person while in his own place of business;

2. Any law-enforcement officer, wherever such law-enforcement officer may travel in the Commonwealth;

3. Any regularly enrolled member of a target shooting organization who is at, or going to or from, an established shooting range, provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

4. Any regularly enrolled member of a weapons collecting organization who is at, or going to or from, a bona fide weapons exhibition, provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

5. Any person carrying such weapons between his place of abode and a place of purchase or repair, provided the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;
Under the exceptions of the VA concealed carry law you can place the hand gun in a case to take it for repair or to the range provided it is not loaded.

Or you can just Open Carry it. But a case is perfectly fine when going to the range.

ravonaf

imported post

22crew wrote:
Thanks ravanof.

22crew

When I bought my G17 about 6 months ago I had all the same questions. You can never be too careful. :)

sccrref

imported post

If you are not familiar with the range or their policy on the carrying of firearms, you may want to give them a call to make sure that you do not start out on the wrong foot. The other option would be to unload and case the gun before entering the building. I assume you are over 18 so open carry is a legal method to get to the range. No CHP required.

22crew

imported post

I know i can OC to the range....but how much of the pistol needs to be showing to be considered OC? I have a Supertuck and was just wondering. Just wondering. Thanks.

22crew

afpilot890

imported post

I have never had a problem OCing to the range...just make sure your gun is not hidden from common observation. If you have an OWB holster, you definitely will not have a problem as long as your shirt is not covering it. If you are still unsure, the safe bet is to just case the gun and keep the ammo seperate.

TexasNative

imported post

Meaning, it's a judgment call for everyone. First, you decide if you think it's legal. Then the cop decides if he thinks it's legal. If he doesn't, then the judge decides if he thinks it's legal.

It certainly a risk, but not a very big one IMNALO (In My Not A Lawyer Opinion). With the grip clearly exposed (and you have to consider more than just your shirt; other things might conceal the "exposed" portion of your gun), I've never heard of anyone in Virginia getting into trouble by openly carrying a handgun with an IWB holster.

2a4all

imported post

I overheard an interesting exchange at The Marksman (in Newport News) today.

A woman had purchased a Glock for herself and a shotgun for her husband. She asked how she should transport her gun home and perhaps back to use the range, while she worked on meeting the requirements for her CHP (needed to take a class). The clerk told her to carry the gun in the case it came in, unloaded and in her trunk (never asked if her car had a trunk), and keep the ammunition separate.

This advice should keep her out of trouble (no requirement to keep ammunition separate).

rdbro83

imported post

2a4all wrote:
I overheard an interesting exchange at The Marksman (in Newport News) today.

A woman had purchased a Glock for herself and a shotgun for her husband. She asked how she should transport her gun home and perhaps back to use the range, while she worked on meeting the requirements for her CHP (needed to take a class). The clerk told her to carry the gun in the case it came in, unloaded and in her trunk (never asked if her car had a trunk), and keep the ammunition separate.

This advice should keep her out of trouble (no requirement to keep ammunition separate).
they are so halpful and informative at the marksman, thats the only place i do business.