Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: Common Sense rules in Carrying

  1. #1
    Regular Member MatieA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Egbert, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    403

    Post imported post

    Ok, I'm looking for input from people here. I will not change my mind about howI am handling things but am wondering how many people would agree with me.

    I am currently taking narcotic pain medication and muscle relaxers, and the doctor has told me that I should not be driving while taking them.

    So I decide that if I should not be driving then I should not be carrying my sidearm either, and have put it back in its case.

    This makes perfect sense to me, but a few people think that I should be carrying anyway, and a couple of them even stated that if it were them that they would be driving anyway.

    So I am looking to solicit other opinions on this matter, just because I am curious as to how many people agree with me, and how many don't. I thought about making this a poll, but wasn't sure how to word it.:?


    Edited to fix a few typos
    If you do not test yourself every single day,
    then it is just another wasted day.
    --Semper Fi--

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hodgenville, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,261

    Post imported post

    Those drugs should NOT alter your mind....alcohol will.

    IF....it doesn't affect your motor skills (driving...nono...against the law), then you must judge it solely.

    I would carry as I know how a pain pill or relaxer affects me.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Rocky River, OH, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,086

    Post imported post

    MatieA wrote:
    Ok, I'm looking for input from people here. I will not change my mind about howI am handling things but am wondering how many people would agree with me.

    I am currently taking narcotic pain medication and muscle relaxers, and the doctor has told me that I should not be driving while taking them.

    So I decide that if I should not be driving then I should not be carrying my sidearm either, and have put it back in its case.

    This makes perfect sense to me, but a few people think that I should be carrying anyway, and a couple of them even stated that if it were them that they would be driving anyway.

    So I am looking to solicit other opinions on this matter, just because I am curious as to how many people agree with me, and how many don't. I thought about making this a poll, but wasn't sure how to word it.:?


    Edited to fix a few typos
    I never mock prudent thinking. Only YOU know how particular medications affect you.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    303

    Post imported post

    I'd carry.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Rockingham, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    861

    Post imported post

    Drugs raise the question of making rational judgements with completely functioning discernment abilities . Hallucinating and impared reactions can manifest with narcotics .

    Do not carry .

    No ...... peroid .

  6. #6
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958

    Post imported post

    Anything that would affect motor skills and mental judgement (to me) would impare carryingand/oruse of a firearm. I'd put it away 'til you're 'fixed'.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958

    Post imported post

    Dubble post

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Gloucester, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    629

    Post imported post

    If you can get used to the effects of the drugs you will most likely feel comfortable carrying again while using them. If you are taking these for pain, then your ability to defend yourself with your hands or even running away from an attack is probably seriously effected.

    You could always try and not take so much, just enough to take the edge off the pain. If it was me I would probably carry depending on where I was going, and who was with me. If you can't drive while using these drugs , who ever is driving for you could carry if they are willing and able, that is better than nothing.

    If YOU don't feel comfortable with the gun, then you have to make that decision.

  9. #9
    Regular Member MatieA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Egbert, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    403

    Post imported post

    Pagan wrote:
    If you can get used to the effects of the drugs you will most likely feel comfortable carrying again while using them. If you are taking these for pain, then your ability to defend yourself with your hands or even running away from an attack is probably seriously effected.

    You could always try and not take so much, just enough to take the edge off the pain. If it was me I would probably carry depending on where I was going, and who was with me. If you can't drive while using these drugs , who ever is driving for you could carry if they are willing and able, that is better than nothing.

    If YOU don't feel comfortable with the gun, then you have to make that decision.
    I'm home again, and just read all these posts; thanks for all the input.

    Pagan,

    Another part of my problem is that the reason I am taking these is for 2 herniated disks in my neck which is sending a shooting pain into my right arm. Guess which is my strong arm? Also 2 percocet barely takes the edge off so I couldn't take less; I wish I could though. I will carry again as soon as I get my neck fixed. I'm hoping the physical therapy will take care of it so I can cancel the surgery

    Like I said thanks for all the input. I can't wait to feel that I am safe to carry again.
    If you do not test yourself every single day,
    then it is just another wasted day.
    --Semper Fi--

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    MatieA wrote:
    I'm home again, and just read all these posts; thanks for all the input.

    Pagan,

    Another part of my problem is that the reason I am taking these is for 2 herniated disks in my neck which is sending a shooting pain into my right arm. Guess which is my strong arm? Also 2 percocet barely takes the edge off so I couldn't take less; I wish I could though. I will carry again as soon as I get my neck fixed. I'm hoping the physical therapy will take care of it so I can cancel the surgery

    Like I said thanks for all the input. I can't wait to feel that I am safe to carry again.
    I think you made the right choice. Hell, I unload and lock all my guns up when I take Nyquil or any sleeping meds. If you aren't fit to drive, you aren't fit to carry or shoot.

  11. #11
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    MatieA wrote:
    So I decide that if I should not be driving then I should not be carrying my sidearm either, and have put it back in its case.

    This makes perfect sense to me..
    It makes sense to me too. The gun isn't some magic amulet without which you will perish or something.

    Doesn't make any sense to carry a gun if your cognitive processes and judgment are impaired significantly.

    Hope you get back to 100% quickly.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    The gun isn't some magic amulet without which you will perish or something.

    Don't lie to me! Are you trying to get me killed?

  13. #13
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    AWDstylez wrote:
    Don't lie to me! Are you trying to get me killed?
    Here, just wear this.



    Keep it with you at all times.

    Remember, NEVER let it go...

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , California, USA
    Posts
    560

    Post imported post

    After taking them for a bit, if you find that you're not significantly impared, go with a buddy to the local shooting range and get some practice, perhaps? If you find you're still able to shoot accurately and with reasonable speed, carrying could still be a good option...if not, then not. Your shooting buddy could be a good check too, as they can watch you and see if you seem impared where you might not notice.

    I've known people on pretty intense pain killers/muscle relaxers before, and it seems that when the medication isn't excessive it merely deals with the pain without impairing them at all (despite that those meds would have put the average not-in-pain person into nap-time). Everybody is different though, and if you find that your meds are strong enough that you don't feel comfortable carrying, don't.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    236

    Post imported post

    MatieA wrote:
    Another part of my problem is that the reason I am taking these is for 2 herniated disks in my neck which is sending a shooting pain into my right arm. Guess which is my strong arm? Also 2 percocet barely takes the edge off so I couldn't take less; I wish I could though. I will carry again as soon as I get my neck fixed. I'm hoping the physical therapy will take care of it so I can cancel the surgery

    Like I said thanks for all the input. I can't wait to feel that I am safe to carry again.
    Only you can decide if you are well enough to carry, drive, etc. A percocet is enough to lay me out.

    As far as the pain goes, I'd suggest talking to another doctor. If you are going through PT for herniated disks then you may be wasting your time. You may be better off wit ha pain specialist who may give you cortisone shots if you haven't considered that already. I went through that myself and it took the pain away quickly. I haven't had it in about 10 years since.

    A GOOD chiropractor may be able to help you as well. But finding one that's not a quack, wanting to cure your barrel fouling problem by popping every joint in your body three times a week. I have a good one that knocks out my sciatica every time and I only have to go to him about three times a year. Good luck.

  16. #16
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    Think beyond the tactical, too. Think through the ramifications.

    You on medication is not going to stop a bad guy from appearing anywhere you might be.

    You having to draw and use a firearm when you've taken such medication gives an opposing lawyer all kinds of options against you.

    So, if SHTF and you have to draw, will you be as sharp as you'd otherwise be? Able to consider all the factors at play? As accurate?

    An additional factor is whether you're alone or with someone else who's carrying.

    Personally, I'd err on the side of caution and not carry, but then I'd most likely be with spousal unit, who would be carrying.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  17. #17
    Regular Member MatieA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Egbert, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    403

    Post imported post

    The physical therapy is a traction unit that stretches the neck and relieves the pressure on the nerves that are being pinched. It does work but I don't know that it will work enough to let the disks slide back in where they belong, BUT I am hoping/praying that it will, as I don't relish the idea of someone cutting my throat open to fix me neck. The PT therapist is also I chiropracter so I get 2 in 1. And I asked about injections and I opted out after hearing the "what could go wrong" speech.
    If you do not test yourself every single day,
    then it is just another wasted day.
    --Semper Fi--

  18. #18
    Regular Member MatieA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Egbert, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    403

    Post imported post

    Tess wrote:
    Think beyond the tactical, too. Think through the ramifications.

    You on medication is not going to stop a bad guy from appearing anywhere you might be.

    You having to draw and use a firearm when you've taken such medication gives an opposing lawyer all kinds of options against you.

    So, if SHTF and you have to draw, will you be as sharp as you'd otherwise be? Able to consider all the factors at play? As accurate?

    An additional factor is whether you're alone or with someone else who's carrying.

    Personally, I'd err on the side of caution and not carry, but then I'd most likely be with spousal unit, who would be carrying.
    I actually had considered this, and discussed it with the wife.

    I do not feel that I'm 100% all the time while medicated.

    My wife has no problem with open carry and supports me doing it, but she's not ready to do it yet, and I leave it at that. When she get s there she'll do it, she did get her CCP, just doesn't feel comfortable carrying all the time yet.
    If you do not test yourself every single day,
    then it is just another wasted day.
    --Semper Fi--

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    236

    Post imported post

    MatieA wrote:
    The PT therapist is also I chiropracter so I get 2 in 1. And I asked about injections and I opted out after hearing the "what could go wrong" speech.
    Traction did seem to help one of the guys at work who had a similar problem.

    Who gave you the "what could go wrong" speech? If it was the therapist then I'd suggest an opinion from someone who is not in competition with alternate treatment or who would otherwise have a financial interest in you not going to someone else.

    In my case, I had an injection but I got no relief out of it. The doctor had told me that it may take two or it may not work at all. The second one did the trick. I had absolutely no side effects or discomfort from it whatsoever. Even the injection itself was pretty painless. I'd go back and do it all over again if I had to.

    Doctors of one specialty do not necessarily respect those of others, especially when it comes to crossing the boundaries of traditional medicine with those such as massage, chiropractic, acupuncture, etc. Try going to a hospital after a car accident for something like whiplash and see if they recommend something other than muscle relaxers and physical therapy. Been there, done that, wasted the money and time. Traditional medicine is fine and it works. Just consider all of your options, especially when it comes to pain.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    4

    Post imported post

    Just my two cents, but assuming as you said, your doctor instructed you not to drive a deadly weapon, you also should not be carrying a deadly weapon. I applaud you for your foresight. Remember, just as you are responsible for your actions in a vehicle under your control, you are also responsible for the weapon under your control. If your medication can inhibit your judgement,reflexes and through, it could also inhibit your ability to adequaltely maintain control of your weapon, and may even get you hurt in the process.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    518

    Post imported post

    I, too have had occasion to take narcotic pain killers. I didn't carry. Why? Several reasons.

    Pain killers can alter perception and judgment, possibly leading you to react or take action that you might not have otherwise have taken. Not a good situation. I've known people to take narcotic pain meds and undergo staggering changes in personality and perception, even become suicidal. Not good for someone like this to be carrying a gun. And I'm not sure you'll know how bad off you are, while you're in the middle of it.

    If you ever shoot anybody, you're going to be tested for the presence of drugs, including narcotic pain killers. Most, if not all, states consider this "intoxication" and you're in deep doo-doo in both the criminal and civil court actions that are sure to follow.

    I ceased the pain medication as soon as I was able and waited 24 hours after the last dose before I carried, and didn't do that until my spouse was confident I was "normal"

    I'd go so far as to say people starting a course of pain medication should lock their guns up in such a manner as they CAN'T get access to them until they know how they react to this medication. Give them to a trusted friend or have a spouse change the combination on the safe until the reaction to the pain med is known. Don't take these medications lightly. I had an otherwise normal close relative go suicidal nearly a full day after an oral dose of a pain med was administered in the hospital. If she had access to her gun (coincidentally, it was in my safe, although not because we were concerned about the pain med) she could have done some real damage. As it was, the suicide attempt was unsuccessful. Couple of days later, everything back to normal. Doc said the reaction was extremely rare, but not unheard of, and no cause for concern as long as she avoided that pain med.

    Be very careful until you understand how you will react to a narcotic pain medication. They aren't "controlled substances" for nothing.

  22. #22
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Post imported post

    Only YOU know how the narcotic pain medications effect your body. No one else can possibly know your pain level or your level of "narcotic intixication". I was forced to retire from the service withmultiple spinal injuries.

    I've had back surgery. I've also been on different pain medications since my original injury. I currently have 3 cysts (inoperable) in my lower spine that effect my lower body. Parts of my left leg are numb all the time. Sometimes, my leg goes completely numb. I also have an inoperable tumor inside a vertebra between my shoulder blades that pushes against the spinal cord sometimes. Sometimes, my left had goes numb. Guess what? I'm left-handed! I use a walking stick sometimes and it may slow me down .05 of a second to draw my USP 45 from my OC holster on my left hip.

    In law enforcement, we wereactually trained to carry something in one hand all the time in the event you have a "short range" situation. if someone has the "drop" on you, you toss them something. 99 times out of 100, they will try to deflect it or catch it; ginving you enough time to draw and shoot your own sidearm. Try it sometime with a friend. How many of you PRACTICE drawing and shooting (with a CLEARED WEAPON of course. ) The aluminum "box" clipboardwith boarding forms and papers was very useful for this purpose.

    I take narcotic pain medications on a schedule. I take just enough to "take the edge off" as Pagan mentioned earlier. I've been on the same dosage for more than a year. Some days are better than others; Sometimes I don't even go out because of the pain levels. After a day with Cub Scouts on a campout yesterday, I awoke to a very sore body.

    I do not feelmy medicationsimpair my judgement at all. I go to the range regularly and attribute my slighty slowed reflexes to age, not to the effects of narcotics. My eyesight has gotten worse since my competitive shooting days. It is no longer 20/10. it has "degraded" to mere mortal status to about 20/20. I've found when I'm tired, in order to read small print, my arm isn't long enough to hold the item far enough away to read. I don't shoot every day anymore because I can't afford it. It was nice when Uncle Sam financed my shooting career.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  23. #23
    Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Mercer Island, Washington, USA
    Posts
    922

    Post imported post

    R a Z o R wrote:
    Drugs raise the question of making rational judgements with completely functioning discernment abilities . Hallucinating and impared reactions can manifest with narcotics .

    Do not carry .

    No ...... peroid .
    Come on, those spotted purple monkey-lizards won't shoot themselves now will they???
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

  24. #24
    Regular Member MSC 45ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,845

    Post imported post

    The only hallucination I ever had was the STARS I saw when I first injured my back. I've never had any hallucinations while on prescriptions.

    I think YOU have sampled too many Magic Mushrooms. Oxycontin and vicodin do NOT cause hallucinationswhen taken as prescribed.

    You are showing your ignorance and your ( )*( )
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

    Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

  25. #25
    Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Mercer Island, Washington, USA
    Posts
    922

    Post imported post

    MSC 45ACP wrote:
    The only hallucination I ever had was the STARS I saw when I first injured my back. I've never had any hallucinations while on prescriptions.

    I think YOU have sampled too many Magic Mushrooms. Oxycontin and vicodin do NOT cause hallucinationswhen taken as prescribed.

    You are showing your ignorance and your ( )*( )
    You say that now... but wait until the purple spotted monkey-lizards begin telling you to do things.... then you'll think twice and wish you had a gun to shoot them with....
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •