• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good Idea?

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I've been meaning to share this for almost 2 months now, but never got around to it. It's a true story about something that ended up not happening.

I work for H&R Block during the tax season and had the responsibility of opening the office in the mornings. In mid-March the sun doesn't come up around here until after 8:00 am.

One morning I motored on into work and parked in the back. As I exited the vehicle a car pulled up about 25' from me and a guy in a hoodie jumped out, carrying a baseball bat and walking very purposefully in my direction.

Not being able to carry in the office due to employer restrictions I nonetheless had my .45 in my briefcase, which was slung over my shoulder. I'd practiced this drill many times at home, so I dove my hand into the briefcase, instantly retrieving my handgun and pulling it from the bag. I showed it to the BG and asked "Are you sure you want to do this?" (I was so scared my level tone was a shock, even to me.)

His reply? " I guess not." He then returned to his car and left. I never got a good look at him and all I know about the car is that it was a blue mid-size 4 door with no plates. There was no point in calling the PD or Sheriff because I had no identifying information, so I just continued my normal routine.

It's a scary feeling to have to pull a gun on another human being. Some of you know this. The upshot is that my hands had a slight tremor to them for the next hour or so until I got busy enough to be distracted from what had just transpired.

Like I said, it's a true story of something that ended up not happening. I ended up not being killed or seriously injured. However, if he had approached me in the same manner a year ago I'd have been a victim.

That's why, when someone asks me why I carry a firearm, my standard response is "Because I refuse to be a victim."

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Bookman wrote:
I've been meaning to share this for almost 2 months now, but never got around to it. It's a true story about something that ended up not happening.

I work for H&R Block during the tax season and had the responsibility of opening the office in the mornings. In mid-March the sun doesn't come up around here until after 8:00 am.

One morning I motored on into work and parked in the back. As I exited the vehicle a car pulled up about 25' from me and a guy in a hoodie jumped out, carrying a baseball bat and walking very purposefully in my direction.

Not being able to carry in the office due to employer restrictions I nonetheless had my .45 in my briefcase, which was slung over my shoulder. I'd practiced this drill many times at home, so I dove my hand into the briefcase, instantly retrieving my handgun and pulling it from the bag. I showed it to the BG and asked "Are you sure you want to do this?" (I was so scared my level tone was a shock, even to me.)

His reply? " I guess not." He then returned to his car and left.

It's a scary feeling to have to pull a gun on another human being. Some of you know this. The upshot is that my hands had a slight tremor to them for the next hour or so until I got busy enough to be distracted from what had just transpired.

Like I said, it's a true story of something that ended up not happening. I ended up not being killed or seriously injured. However, if he had approached me in the same manner a year ago I'd have been a victim.

That's why, when someone asks me why I carry a firearm, my standard response is "Because I refuse to be a victim."

What did you report to the police?

Was the baseball bat guy alone or was there someone else in the car?

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

No one else in the car. Nothing to report to the police. I had no identifying information, so reporting it would have been a waste of everyone's time. I don't even know the color of his skin.

"Officer, all I know is that he was medium height, wearing dark clothing, driving a blue car."

Not much to go on.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Bookman wrote:
No one else in the car. Nothing to report to the police. I had no identifying information, so reporting it would have been a waste of everyone's time. I don't even know the color of his skin.

"Officer, all I know is that he was medium height, wearing dark clothing, driving a blue car."

Not much to go on.

A car 25' away from you and you didn't get the car make/model or even the tag? And he walked even closer to you and you didn't get but height and dark clothes? Even though you spoke to each other?

Fascinating.

Ah, maybe he's never done it before. Probably, he'll never do that again.

Probably OK.

No problem.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Bookman wrote:
The sun wasn't up yet and the area isn't well lighted. Mostly what I saw was shadows and headlights.

How far would acar have gotten in your area without license plates if you called it in immediately?

And, hmmm, wait a minute...you pulled a big ole honkin' .45 out and pointed it at a guy, right?But hejust walks to his car and drives off.Could he ditch the bat, call up the cops and say "A crazy guy witha .45 just threatened to kill me!" orsomethingsimilar to that?Wouldn't that would be unfortunate, especially if he could describe the gun?

Well, at least nothing happened and everybody is safe.

TheMrMitch

imported post

That's why I carry EVERYWHERE exceptjail.

If I go to a hospital and have to be sedated....security gets my weapon. If not....*I* keep it. Dinner....cutting grass.... EVERYWHERE.

YllwFvr

imported post

HankT wrote:
A car 25' away from you and you didn't get the car make/model or even the tag? And he walked even closer to you and you didn't get but height and dark clothes? Even though you spoke to each other?

Fascinating.

Probably OK.

No problem.

"all I know about the car is that it was a blue mid-size 4 door with no plates"

What other tags are you referring to Hank? Oh you must mean the VIN, yeah I always jot that down too...

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Bookman wrote:

Not much to go on.

You should still report it if for no other reason for stats. Estimates of defensive gun use are all nice and good but a good hard number is even better. The more reported cases of self defense with a gun the better.

Jizzzle

imported post

thats the problem, because it was solved "peacefully" and nothing happened nobody reports it. I honestly don't see a reason to report it. I would have done the same thing. Continue on with your day.

Good job btw. Nicely Done.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

YllwFvr wrote:
HankT wrote:

Fascinating.

Probably OK.

No problem.

"all I know about the car is that it was a blue mid-size 4 door with no plates"

What other tags are you referring to Hank? Oh you must mean the VIN, yeah I always jot that down too...
VIN? What the heck are you taling about Fvr? You're not making any sense.

wrightme

imported post

Wow Hank, you seem to be the king of armchair QB here.

You were not there. If it took place as quickly as is likely, I am not surprised a bit that details were not available. It is simple to tell others how YOU would (or could) have handled the incident, but the bottom line is that only TWO persons were there experiencing it first-hand. Any conjecture or woulda you come up with has no basis.

Kudos to the OP for handling it well.

KansasMustang

imported post

Good job Bookman and glad you are safe. Too bad there was no info. Hope there's no "next time" for ya, but things bein as they are there probably will be.
Keep your powder dry !

MamaLiberty

imported post

Bravo to the OP here. He was aware, armed and prepared to use it. He had practiced for just such a situation. Seems to me he handled it almost perfectly - and I'm so glad the punk got the message and went away. Perfect gunfight... the one that never happened.

I'm sure he will do more of the same, and possibly think to note more details of the attacker in the event it happens again.

The necessity and advisability of reporting such an encounter vary widely from place to place. If you are in an area that is definitely gun hostile, you are probably better off not reporting anything unless you are hurt or are forced to shoot. I don't know if his gun was "legal" to carry in that parking lot, even if he had a CCW. If not, or no "permit," then he'd be vulnerable to persecution (no misspell) regardless of any other facts in the case. I'm not up on Washington law.

I'd like to see statistics on how many bad guys actually do call the police to report something like this. If they have a record or are wanted, that seems highly unlikely. The novice or first time punk would probably not even think about it. I would not let that seemingly remote possibility motivate me to call - and get into a bad situation if the "law" was likely to come down hard on me for being armed.

I certainly wouldn't volunteer to be a martyr for the idea that such encounters need to be reported and recorded!

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

HankT wrote:
Bookman wrote:
The sun wasn't up yet and the area isn't well lighted. Mostly what I saw was shadows and headlights.
...And, hmmm, wait a minute...you pulled a big ole honkin' .45 out and pointed it at a guy, right?But hejust walks to his car and drives off.Could he ditch the bat, call up the cops and say "A crazy guy witha .45 just threatened to kill me!" orsomethingsimilar to that?Wouldn't that would be unfortunate, especially if he could describe the gun?...
First thing- to the OP,congratulations for coming out of the situation unscathed. We all hope and pray we can do the same.

But secondly, HankT isright. I have had at least three students tell me that although THEY were the actual victim, the assailant to-be called the police and reported THEM as a gun-wielding menace to society.

Guess who got a follow-up visit from the police?

If you're ever in a similar situation, please call 911and get your version on the record. First one to call gets to be the real victim.

Statesman

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
That's why I carry EVERYWHERE exceptjail.

If I go to a hospital and have to be sedated....security gets my weapon. If not....*I* keep it. Dinner....cutting grass.... EVERYWHERE.
Curious. Exactly how do you turnover your firearm to security in such a situation? Why do they just not confiscate it, and call the police on you?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

BB62 wrote:
HankT wrote:
Bookman wrote:
...And, hmmm, wait a minute...you pulled a big ole honkin' .45 out and pointed it at a guy, right?But hejust walks to his car and drives off.Could he ditch the bat, call up the cops and say "A crazy guy witha .45 just threatened to kill me!" orsomethingsimilar to that?Wouldn't that would be unfortunate, especially if he could describe the gun?...
First thing- to the OP,congratulations for coming out of the situation unscathed. We all hope and pray we can do the same.

But secondly, HankT isright. I have had at least three students tell me that although THEY were the actual victim, the assailant to-be called the police and reported THEM as a gun-wielding menace to society.

Guess who got a follow-up visit from the police?

If you're ever in a similar situation, please call 911and get your version on the record. First one to call gets to be the real victim.

Yep, it makes no sense at all to put oneself at risk of getting jammed upby a surprise visit from the po-po.Nor does it make sense to take on the risk of some narrow-minded litigation-prone guy setting up a LAC and then cashing in on some vagueness in the retelling of some self-defense event. There are plenty of scam artists out there and some of them would jump at such an opportunity because it would mean "more money for me."

S'the way the world is nowadays...

BTW, here is a thread discussing proposed gun carry laws and one of the proposals would be quite pertinent in the OP's case:

Situation 1: LAC pulls out gun and defends self but does not shoot the gun.

Law: LAC required to report incident to local police, giving pertinent details.Data from such reports will be compiledand used for regularLE and public policy uses.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/25701.html

There've been some interesting comments made there.

MamaLiberty

imported post

Yep, it makes no sense at all to put oneself at risk of getting jammed upby a surprise visit from the po-po.Nor does it make sense to take on the risk of some narrow-minded litigation-prone guy setting up a LAC and then cashing in on some vagueness in the retelling of some self-defense event. There are plenty of scam artists out there and some of them would jump at such an opportunity because it would mean "more money for me."

S'the way the world is, nowadays...
Quite possible... but I think it makes a big difference where you are, where you live.

I can't see that getting any traction here where I am. The people in this area know me, and so do the police/sheriff. The number of crimes/criminals is so small that our county/city "jail" stands empty most of the time.

We live in different worlds. :)

MuellerBadener

imported post

wrightme wrote:
Wow Hank, you seem to be the king of armchair QB here.

You were not there. If it took place as quickly as is likely, I am not surprised a bit that details were not available. It is simple to tell others how YOU would (or could) have handled the incident, but the bottom line is that only TWO persons were there experiencing it first-hand. Any conjecture or woulda you come up with has no basis.

Kudos to the OP for handling it well.
+1 The first time you find yourself in that kind of a spot you learn that adrenalin

really messes with you. It's easy to armchair afterwards, but when the sweats on your hands and your heart is beating in your throat because you can't believe some jack-a** is going to make you shoot him, the thought process can easily resort to "one thing at a time" mode.

If any of you out there did better the first time you were in that spot then "Well done", but don't second guess Bookman. No of us knows wether we'd done any better or not.

"Well done" Bookman! One less victim-one more BG checking his drawers for stains.