• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good Idea?

protector84

imported post

Looks like Hank is back with his usual and monotonous arm-chair quarterbacking or trolling to be more accurate.

As to the actual event that occurred, obviously none of us were there but it sounds like you handled it well. A few points to examine here, nonetheless:

1. The individual was suspicious but had not yet assaulted or attempted to assault you here. Theoretically, he could have had the baseball bat for any number of reasons and simply wanted to ask you for a cigarette. However, his actions were incredibly suspicious giving you probable cause to confront him about his behavior. I would have therefore done basically the same thing. I would have made the gun visible (OC) but not yet pointed it at him and maybe have taken a few steps back. I probably would have rephrased thequestion of "Are you sure you want to do this?" to "Hold it right there! What are you doing?" If at that point the individual kept approaching, I would have pointed the gun at him and followed with more serious commands such as "Stop or I'll shoot." OCing a baseball bat may be as legal as OCing a gun in your hand but is extremely suspicious and enough to make people feel threatened and respond accordingly.

2. In the case of not being able to get a proper description, I may have also not reported it to the police. You have the Constitutional rights not to tell the authorities anything. The problem with calling the police in some cases is they have you but not them or in the case if both of you reported it, then it now becomes word against word. Had you have gotten a good description, it may have then been a good idea reporting it. However, in your case calling them may have just opened another can of worms resulting in at minimum a lengthly interrogation or at worst a trip to jail.

3. To answer Hank's ridiculous comments, it is very common for anyone not to get a good description of an attacker. There is scientific research behind the effects of adrenaline on the human body and mind. When someone is in "fight or flight" mode they aren't concerned about descriptive features of an attacker other than what is relevant to fighting or fleeing from them. Your brain is only focused on stopping them and therefore it is only long after the situation is over that you then realize that you "should have" made better mental notes of the person. There is a reason for this. If a person is coming at you with a baseball bat and your brain is taking notes of the character's height/weight, age, race, and clothing then that is time spent not running away or preparing to fight them which could cost youyour life. Why I need to explain this is beyond me as the rest of us understand this but I put it here in the hopes that the other individual here will finally "get it."

Sonora Rebel

imported post

The mind percieves the threat from the weapon (bat) and is searching for other weapons. All other information is extraneous to the threat. You want that 'threat' nullified. That's all there is. Descriptions happen after the mind processes the threat. The encounter is only several seconds so there's not much time to do all that.

There's no thought to 'drop the bat'... get on the ground. It's 'Get Away From ME Or I Will Shoot You'... All the rest of this stuff follows if the command is not obeyed. Man is still a hunter... and the 'coat and colorof the beast' matters not as the length of tooth and claw.

The OP did well. This is why we carry.

riverrat10k

imported post

What if the bat had been in a holster?:lol:

Well done bookman. Doubt if I would have reported anything either, based on your comments. Why answer a bunch of questions about why I was brandishing?

On the other hand , if he was that close , I may have just shot him.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

riverrat10k wrote:

Is thatridiculous comment supposed to be 'cute'?

A stranger approaching withbat in hand... (where there is no reason to be carrying a 'bat')isa reasonable assumption of brandishing a weapon with some criminal intent to do harm or intimidation.

Counter-brandishing is still 'illegal' (here at least) but 'presenting' in a self defense situation preparatory to firing, but not having to actually fire on the perp most likely will NOT put you in the jack-pot. Who's going to complain? The perp?

Oh... the 'law' says if I draw my weapon I must use it... so I 'have to shoot' 'cause that's how the law reads.

Well... 'bout a month ago I was hookin' up a DVD/VCR when my mom-in-law yelled "There's a man running in the yard... he just jumped the fence!" This is a desert area... not even an incorporated'town'... in Open Range. 'Wife wasn't home but my sis-in-law was. No sooner she said that... 'n I hear somebody beatin' on the front door. I opened the door (There's a steel 'safety door' in front of that rather than a normal screen door) 'n this kid is yellin'... 'Let me in... he trying to kill me... he's got a gun." I had a pistol on me... but turned around and grabbed a 'shortie' Rem. 870. With this in hand... I open the door to the veranda... 'n tell this kid to 'sit down'. He did so... and is babbling a mile a minute. I see he's scared but I'm still cautious tokeep some distance between us. My sis-in-law locks the steel door and shuts the front door. Then... she secures theback door while dialing 911. This car comes around the corner in a cloud of dust (dirt road) 'n slides to a stop alongside my gate. This guy gets out and cames at a trot thru my dubble gate (posted No Trespassing) with something extendedin his right hand. Turns out it's a baseball bat. I'm still on the veranda. I bring the shotgun to port arms and tell him: "Get off my property... NOW!" He continuesa few steps... saw the shotgun... stops and says: "I'll think about it!" I came off the veranda... jacked a round (there's nothing like the sound a 12 ga. being chambered) 'putting the pistol grip in the cup of my right hip (leveled) in a shooting stance and told him: "You better think a little faster!" He turned on his heel and ran to his car. Then spun wheels in the dirt and went back in the direction he'd come. I noticed enough about him... but my focus was on the bat and his free hand... while gauging the distance between us. I was prepared to shoot him had he not turned around. Now... I could have told him... 'drop the bat... get on the ground' but didn't. I didn't consider that 'til later. I WAS mentally preparing to shoot... all that should'a, would'a, didn't comes later.

I didn't have my 'cop hat' on... I haven't worn one of those for a number of years... I'm not in 'arrest' mode... I'm in 'kill mode' 'til the threat is gone. 'Wasn't too long before I had Sheriff's deputies all over the place. I'd put the shotgun back in the house (on the coffee table).The deputy asked about it (present location)... and noted my sidearm. He did ask what it was loaded with... (000 buck followed by semijacketed HP slugs)... 'n grinned. They took the 'victim' off... and then effected an arrest on the perp. Apparently the perp had also hit him with the car.

paramedic70002

imported post

Senora Rebel,

Ballsy to go out and get distracted from the first guy, I don't have to tell you that he could have been a threat also, but yeah I can understand preventing a felony assault on your own property.

To the OP,

One thing to add. Reporting this 'non event' may have saved some innocent civilian who is less 'survival oriented' from suffering a much worse fate. Cops may have been able to snare the guy based on location and vague description.

riverrat10k

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
riverrat10k wrote:

Is thatridiculous comment supposed to be 'cute'?
Cute, no. Smart a**, probably.

Rebel, I did not intend to ruffle your feathers. I value your posts to this site highly and have learned much from them.

I was commenting more to Protector's paragraph 1 about "OC'ing a bat" and in a poor way make the point that a bat in hand is brandishing a deadly weapon just as a firearm in hand can be.

Hence my agreement that bookman did well in that no one was injured, but that I may not have shown as much restraint.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

And in some places, if the police were calledto report the thugand told them what he did that turnedthe thugaround, the police may try to arrest and charge him with 'Brandishing" solelyon his own testimony of the situation thathe called 911 to report!

I do not think I would have called either, or I would have spoken to an attorney before making the call.
Any situation of defense when you haveadrenaline pumping through your system, everyone will get "Tunnel-vision" and miss ordinary stuff that is not recognized as an immediate threat. At least he got the color of the car, Many people would even miss that in a similar situation.