• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time OC!

Scooter

imported post

:celebrate So yesterday I decided I would OC around the 'hood. (just picked up at M&P 9c and my Blackhawk Serpa Sporster holster arrived!)

So, out the door with the wife and our 5 kids ("Think of the children!!") We did several laps stopped and talked to neighbor for 5 minutes or so....people were running and screaming and general chaos was the scene,......oh wait....none of that happened at all....hmmm...;) (neighbor either didn't notice or didn't care? Kids on the street did notice but just pointed and smiled. Smiled?!)

Walked again today, same thing.

Anyway, this was my first time. I'm ashamed to admit that I have lived in Michigan all my life and never knew about OC until about 4 weeks ago; because of THIS SITE. Thank you all for standing for our rights!

I will be taking the CPL class next week and start OCing whenever I can.

Again, thanks to everyone for this site.

EM87

imported post

Congrats, and welcome to OCDO! Make sure to read up on the WASH, RINSE, REPEAT thread at the top of the forum. Happy OCing!

DanM

imported post

Welcome, Scooter! Read the stickies at top (if you have not, thoroughly), especially "MICHIGAN OPEN CARRY INFO HERE" and "WASH, RINSE, REPEAT". After that, ask questions if anything seems unclear. Not having your CPL yet, you need to be muchmore careful as far as transportation and places you are prohibited from OC'ing.

Take baby steps, as far as expanding the areas you are comfortable (and knowledgeable about) OC'ing in. As youare considering OC'ing to "new" places and you want to doublecheck your understanding that you are in the clear, please feel free to do so.

Scooter

imported post

EM87 wrote:
Congrats, and welcome to OCDO! Make sure to read up on the WASH, RINSE, REPEAT thread at the top of the forum. Happy OCing!
Thanks! I have been reading on the site for a few weeks now and I know the WASH, RINSE, REPEAT by heart !

Scooter

imported post

Thanks!

I do not plan to OC too much until I get my CPL, I don't want to make any mistakes in respect to transport and I am on board with the baby steps for sure.

Asomewhat side question: does anyone have any idea how quickly/slowly Washtenaw County moves on CPL's once they are submitted? Friends at work say Wayne County isREALLY slow...

conservative85

imported post

Welcome Scooter! When OC'ing remember you will get all kinds of looks, Just smile and nod, or send a greeting out to them.

Remember when people see a gun they start to wonder, Who is he?, Whats he got a gun out in the open for?.

:XOC'ing like this is bad!

:DOC'ing like this is better

T Vance

imported post

So far I have only OCed with my fiance around me, which I think helps keep people calm that might otherwise see a gun and "freak", cause when we together we are usually joking around and laughing. I'm sure when they see a grocery cart full of groceries that helps too.

T Vance

imported post

Scooter wrote:
So yesterday I decided I would OC around the 'hood...
Where abouts in Ypsi? There are many people that might consider Ypsilanti itself "the hood", which I don't. You may be refering to your neighbor"hood" where you live, or there are some that might say that West Willow is the roughest part of Ypsi, that maybe true, but I used to DJ house parties and and did several in West Willow without any problems.

Yes, a lonely white 22-23 year year loading his Pontiac Sunbird at 3:30-4:00 am with turntables, records, microphones, CD's, speakers never once got harrased or jacked in West Willow. Maybe it was just because I am T. Vance though.

Scooter

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Scooter wrote:
So yesterday I decided I would OC around the 'hood...
Where abouts in Ypsi? There are many people that might consider Ypsilanti itself "the hood", which I don't. You may be refering to your neighbor"hood" where you live, or there are some that might say that West Willow is the roughest part of Ypsi, that maybe true, but I used to DJ house parties and and did several in West Willow without any problems.

Yes, a lonely white 22-23 year year loading his Pontiac Sunbird at 3:30-4:00 am with turntables, records, microphones, CD's, speakers never once got harrased or jacked in West Willow. Maybe it was just because I am T. Vance though.
Yes I meant my neighborhood!:DWe are south of 94 near Textile Rd. so it's actually Ypsilanti Township...

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Scooter wrote:
Thanks!

I do not plan to OC too much until I get my CPL, I don't want to make any mistakes in respect to transport and I am on board with the baby steps for sure.

A somewhat side question: does anyone have any idea how quickly/slowly Washtenaw County moves on CPL's once they are submitted? Friends at work say Wayne County is REALLY slow...

Six weeks for me, start to finish, and it was this year.