• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hohenwald Walmart encounter

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Saturday evening I ran over to Walmart in Hohenwald to pick up some ink cartidges. AS I enter the store I saw the greeter, an older gentleman, setting at a small desk. He saw me and my open carried CZ 82 and motioned me over. He asked me if I was a LEO. I smiled and said no. He then asked if I had a permit to carry. I told him I did. He then asked to see it. I said sure. While I was digging out of my wallet, he said that he had his HCP too and carried all the time, but didn't think that I should be carrying a gun openly like I was. I handed him my HCP, and while he was looking at it, I told him that since he had one he should know that we have the option to OC or CC and that both were legal. He said he knew it was legal, but just didn't think it was a good idea, that it could cause trouble. Still smiling, I told him that I'd been OC'ing everyday and everywhere since I got my HCP, and that I had been in that store and the Walmart in Dickson many times while OC'ing and have never had any problems. He just shook his head and say he still didn't think it was a good idea, but that I was free to shop and wished me a good evening. I politely said that we simply don't share the same opinion on the issue and told him to have a good evening as well. I headed on back to the electronics dept and grabbed my ink cartridges, then stood inline at the checkout for about 10 minutes without further incident.

There was no confrontation in the old guys demeaner, but rather mild concern. And our verbal exchange was low key and polite. And at no time did he tell me I couldn't OC in the store.

old dog

imported post

Why would you show your permit to someone who has no authority to demand it?

Why didn't you tell him his opinion is utterly meaningless and that Wallyworld doesn't pay him to discuss his personal philosophy with customers?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
AS I enter the store I saw the greeter, an older gentleman, setting at a small desk. He saw me and my open carried CZ 82 and motioned me over. He asked me if I was a LEO. I smiled and said no. He then asked if I had a permit to carry. I told him I did. He then asked to see it. I said sure. While I was digging out of my wallet, he said that he had his HCP too and carried all the time, but didn't think that I should be carrying a gun openly like I was. I handed him my HCP, and while he was looking at it, I told him that since he had one he should know that we have the option to OC or CC and that both were legal. He said he knew it was legal, but just didn't think it was a good idea, that it could cause trouble. Still smiling, I told him that I'd been OC'ing everyday and everywhere since I got my HCP, and that I had been in that store and the Walmart in Dickson many times while OC'ing and have never had any problems. He just shook his head and say he still didn't think it was a good idea, but that I was free to shop and wished me a good evening. I politely said that we simply don't share the same opinion on the issue and told him to have a good evening as well. I headed on back to the electronics dept and grabbed my ink cartridges, then stood inline at the checkout for about 10 minutes without further incident.

There was no confrontation in the old guys demeaner, but rather mild concern. And our verbal exchange was low key and polite. And at no time did he tell me I couldn't OC in the store.

That's very nice, the way you handled it. I'm impressed with your caring and the subtley in your approach. And the delicate touch you employed in your chosen words and responses.

Sure, you could have handled it ina more agressive manner,you could havegone to half or even fulladversarial alert mode.

But you had an opportunity for a human interaction, inside a corporate one, and you did not miss it. And it worked out just fine. This one worked out just fine.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

old dog wrote:

Why didn't you tell him his opinion is utterly meaningless and that Wallyworld doesn't pay him to discuss his personal philosophy with customers?

Yeah, I could have reacted in a more belligerent fashion, and possibly left this man with the impression that OC'ers are just a bunch of millitant trouble makers just looking for a fight.

But I chose to take a "Old Wild West" approach and be cordial, polite and friendly. We always like to claim that "an armed society is a polite society", but if that is to mean anything we have to live it.

Is it not our duty, as 2A ambassadors, to show the public that gun carriers are not a threat to society? I don't think being confrontational is the way to go about it.

old dog

imported post

Sorry, but I just have a problem with people whose first impulse is to avert their eyes and tug their forelocks.

I'm sure you are all good people, but sometimes it more important to proffer a fist than an open hand.

When you submit to someone like a WM greeter, you reinforce the antis who believe that we are some sort of antideluvians who don't really enjoy ALL those rights and privileges.

How about this: In my opinion your 14-year-old daughter should not appear in public in those shorts. Nothing in law or store policy you understand, merely my thoughts on the subject.I just don't think its a good idea and I'm entitled to brace you on it.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

old dog wrote:
Sorry, but I just have a problem with people whose first impulse is to avert their eyes and tug their forelocks.

I'm sure you are all good people, but sometimes it more important to proffer a fist than an open hand.

When you submit to someone like a WM greeter, you reinforce the antis who believe that we are some sort of antideluvians who don't really enjoy ALL those rights and privileges.

How about this: In my opinion your 14-year-old daughter should not appear in public in those shorts. Nothing in law or store policy you understand, merely my thoughts on the subject.I just don't think its a good idea and I'm entitled to brace you on it.

Dude, cheer up!

Constipation.jpg

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

old dog wrote:
Gee, I thought I was assuring this greeter that I was legally exercising my right to go armed.

I believe that if I had turned this encounter into a confrontation, I would have been re-enforcing the current adminstrations assertion that we gun owners/carriers ARE "right wing extremists" and "potential terrorists". I chose to present the opposite image.

The time may come when we'll have to "show our fists". If and when that time comes we will need the support (logistically) of the rest of society in order to cast off an oppressive government. Being confrontational with everyone that has a dissagreeable opinion of our RKBA and OC is NOT the way to garner that support.

Fallguy

imported post

old dog wrote:

There is not a law that says a 14 year old girl can not wear shorts. But there is a law that says it is illegal to carry a loaded weapon in TN. Those of us that have a handgun carry permit are simply exempt from that law. Sowhen you are armed, as far as anyone knows you are breaking the law.

Did the greeter have the "authority" to demand to see his permit? No. But it did not sound like it was a "demand" to me. Sounded more like the person controlling entry to the property simply wanted to make sure the OP was legally entering. Also the OP seemed to take it as moment to maybe educate a member of the public

As long as others are not being confrontational I see no reason to be argumentative back.

As far as the greeter stating his opinion, we are all allowed to have opinions and even express them. Sounds like each side expressed there's and agreed to disagree.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Fallguy wrote:

As far as the greeter stating his opinion, we are all allowed to have opinions and even express them. Sounds like each side expressed there's and agreed to disagree.
And the greeter was concerned about the person enterring the store. The OP was, I think, concerned about the greeter. Nice, that.

turbodog

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
old dog wrote:

Yeah, I could have reacted in a more belligerent fashion, and possibly left this man with the impression that OC'ers are just a bunch of millitant trouble makers just looking for a fight.

But I chose to take a "Old Wild West" approach and be cordial, polite and friendly. We always like to claim that "an armed society is a polite society", but if that is to mean anything we have to live it.

Is it not our duty, as 2A ambassadors, to show the public that gun carriers are not a threat to society? I don't think being confrontational is the way to go about it.
+1 brother. Well stated.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
I just try to pass the Wal Mart greeter with them on my weak side. One of our greeters here is an old guy who has three bottles of oxygen in a cart with him. I would not want him to suck down his oxygen supply if he saw my gun.
I usually just walk in the front door like I own the place.:lol:

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
I just try to pass the Wal Mart greeter with them on my weak side. One of our greeters here is an old guy who has three bottles of oxygen in a cart with him. I would not want him to suck down his oxygen supply if he saw my gun.
I usually just walk in the front door like I own the place.:lol:
In fact, went to the local Wal Mart tonight. I haven't seen the oxygen guy lately, I hope he didn't pass on. Anyway, no mention of my OC'ed firearm, even when the associate noticed me looking at electronics and asked if he could help me.
I've been to the WM in Dickson and Hohenwald several times while OC and this is the first time I've ever had anyone say anything about it.

Pol Mordreth

imported post

Last time I was in my local Wallyworld one of the dept managers came up to me and asked what I was carrying. She remarked that my ruger P94 looked a little like her Sig (didn't catch the model) and that she wished she could carry on the job. She thanked me for carrying in the store, and wished me a good day.

I like my local walmart.

Regards,

Pol

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pol Mordreth wrote:
Last time I was in my local Wallyworld one of the dept managers came up to me and asked what I was carrying. She remarked that my ruger P94 looked a little like her Sig (didn't catch the model) and that she wished she could carry on the job. She thanked me for carrying in the store, and wished me a good day.

I like my local walmart.

Regards,

Pol

Isn't it awesome when someone "thanks" you for being armed?

Why, it just sends tingles up and down my leg. ;):lol::celebrate

imported post

For what it's worth,
When, not if, the day comes when it becomes necessary to throw off oppressive government, you won't be "joining society," as "society" won't have any part of it.
You will be joining a very elite remnant of society, less than 3%, probably.
Hope the difference in numbers doesn't disillusion you.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
For what it's worth,
When, not if, the day comes when it becomes necessary to throw off oppressive government, you won't be "joining society," as "society" won't have any part of it.
You will be joining a very elite remnant of society, less than 3%, probably.
Hope the difference in numbers doesn't disillusion you.

Knowing that only a small percentage of the population of the original 13 colonies actually participated in the fight for independance from the Crown, I'm under no illusion that the current population in it's entirety will be willing to answer the call to arms.

However, until that time does come, we mustearn as much support and respect from society as we can, in order to get any support in the struggle that will lay ahead. Without that support, we might as well melt our guns down and kiss our liberties goodby.

SANDCREEK

imported post

The OP achieved a positive educational experience for OC. He advanced the cause for the RTKBA - rather than make another enemy for the cause.

I don't routinely OC during my W/M visits - but I have on some occassions. The greeters have always smiled and seemedcomforted by my armed presence. I have picked- up prescriptions at the pharmacy in OC condition without alarm or any objections. That's not to suggest that everyone in the store will react the same way.

Good job in TN ! W/M can be a delicate exercise.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, I had to make a run to WM to get some printer paper last night, so I went to the Store in Hohenwld again. Got there about 9 PM, walked in OC my SA .45 in an Uncle Mike's Sidekick in a crossdraw position. There was the same white haired greeter from the last encounter. At least it looked like the same man. I waved as we spotted each other and was figuring on walking right on past. But he motioned me over. Apparently, if this was the same guy, he didn't remember me and we went through the same question and answers about my carrying again. this time I just showed him my HCP and he checked the photo without taking it. This time he didn't express any opinions about OC, just said that he had to check to make sure I was legally carrying. We ended up chatting for a good 15 minutes about guns and stuff. Turns out he's a WWII vet, though he didn't serve overseas (trained motor pool troopsin the states on maintenance of HD motorcycles). It was a good friendly exchange. He even gave me a tip abouta shopI might be able to get ammo for my SA.45 and M1 Carbine.

I didn't think to ask him if that store (Hohenwald) had adopted a policy of checking OC'ers for HCP, But at this point, I'm assuming that maybe they have. At least they don't seem to beprohibiting OC in the store.

Thundar

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:

This really is one of the problems on this board. We are not necessarily ambassadors, or activists. We are people. We must decide in each instance what our response should be.

Personally I would not stop and chat with a Wal-Mart greeter inquiring about my firearm. I would see it as an annoyance and an intrusionbut others might see it as an opportunity.