• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good news from state Capitol...

wewd

imported post

If the NRA gets its wish, registered gun owners in Arizona will be able to keep weapons locked in their cars outside of a business, regardless of the business' policy on weapons in the workplace; they'll also be allowed to bring guns into certain restaurants that serve alcohol.

Registered gun owners? What the hell? Someone needs to educate these people. :banghead:

dreamcro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I had to get in the conversation over there, it's heating up rather quickly. Yeah the whole "registered" needs to be squashed. The anti's are coming out of the wood work. I'm going to do a site drop for ocdo.

AZkopper

imported post

While I haven't read the bills, I believe the whole 'registered gun owner' thing is an add-on by an ignorant writer, since AZ has no gun registration! There is no law for it, there is no mechanism for it. Either the writer let his/her ignorance show, or meant CWP licnesed gun owners. Perhaps someone could actually read the language in the bill to see which it is.

protector84

imported post

I wonder if they are referring to CCW permit holders. Even that has nothing to do with owning guns and it doesn't register guns or gun owners but only the ability to carry concealed and in parks. You could have a CCW and not even own a gun but use it to CC a large knife.

GWbiker

imported post

Probably referring to HB 2474 and nearly identical SB 1113. AZ legislative bill search had marked HB 2474 as having "no action" a few days ago. Therefore a little confusion at this end.:banghead:

Dahwg

imported post

I highly recommend that every gun owner in AZ gets signed up for the state legislature "request to speak" (RTS) system. It allows you to register your position on any bill before the legislature, and even allows you to send notes to the committee in favor of or in opposition to pending bills.

You have to sign up for it at any one of the kiosks at the state capital or you can have AZCDL do it for you.

http://www.azcdl.org

http://alistrack.azleg.gov/rts/login.asp

Crossfire Jedi

imported post

A.A property owner, tenant, public or private employer or business entity shall not prohibit a person who lawfully possesses a firearm from transporting or storing the firearm in a locked and privately owned motor vehicle that is parked in a parking lot, parking garage or other area designated for parking motor vehicles.
B.A property owner, tenant, public or private employer or business entity or the agent or employee of a property owner, tenant, public or private employer or business entity is not liable in a civil action for damages resulting from or arising out of an act involving a firearm that is transported or stored pursuant to this section in a locked, privately owned motor vehicle that is parked in a parking lot, parking garage or other area designated for parking motor vehicles.
C.This section does not prohibit an employer or a business entity from adopting a policy that specifies that a firearm stored in a locked and privately owned motor vehicle that is parked on property that is owned or controlled by the employer or business entity remain out of plain view of the public.
D.This section does not apply if:
1.The possession of the firearm is prohibited by federal or state law.
2.The motor vehicle is owned or leased by a public or private employer or business entity and is used by an employee in the course of the employment, unless the employee is required to store or transport a firearm in the official discharge of the employee's duties or if the public or private employer or business entity consents to the transportation or storage of the firearm.

That is the bill in a nutshell. Now with "C"...does that mean the employer can have you park on the 10th floor to keep you out of sight? Not sure I understand that part.
My other thought on this...Does this mean shopping malls etc can't prohibit you from bringing your handgun anymore..I see signs in some places that state if you are parking your vehicle here you cannot have a handgun. If that's the case, I can't wait to tell these businesses to take down there B.S.

Dahwg

imported post

Crossfire Jedi wrote:
A.  A property owner, tenant, public or private employer or business entity shall not prohibit a person who lawfully possesses a firearm from transporting or storing the firearm in a locked and privately owned motor vehicle that is parked in a parking lot, parking garage or other area designated for parking motor vehicles.
B.  A property owner, tenant, public or private employer or business entity or the agent or employee of a property owner, tenant, public or private employer or business entity is not liable in a civil action for damages resulting from or arising out of an act involving a firearm that is transported or stored pursuant to this section in a locked, privately owned motor vehicle that is parked in a parking lot, parking garage or other area designated for parking motor vehicles.
C.  This section does not prohibit an employer or a business entity from adopting a policy that specifies that a firearm stored in a locked and privately owned motor vehicle that is parked on property that is owned or controlled by the employer or business entity remain out of plain view of the public.
D.  This section does not apply if:
1.  The possession of the firearm is prohibited by federal or state law.
2.  The motor vehicle is owned or leased by a public or private employer or business entity and is used by an employee in the course of the employment, unless the employee is required to store or transport a firearm in the official discharge of the employee's duties or if the public or private employer or business entity consents to the transportation or storage of the firearm.

That is the bill in a nutshell.  Now with "C"...does that mean the employer can have you park on the 10th floor to keep you out of sight?  Not sure I understand that part.
My other thought on this...Does this mean shopping malls etc can't prohibit you from bringing your handgun anymore..I see signs in some places that state if you are parking your vehicle here you cannot have a handgun.  If that's the case, I can't wait to tell these businesses to take down there B.S.

As I read C it basically says they can tell you that not only does it have to be locked in your vehicle, they can require that it has to be out of sight. Actually, that's just plain old common sense.

Chez

imported post

Wow, I thought the restaurant carry bill was dead. Glad to see it is alive in the Senate. I sure hope is passes.

It is silly that I can protect my family at an I-Hop for breakfast, but can't do the same at an Olive Garden for dinner. That is just crazy!

Crossfire Jedi

imported post

HB 2474 is scheduled for a “Third Read” vote by the full House on Wednesday, May 13, 2009.For those of you receiving NRA-ILA alerts, the date of the vote has been moved from May 12 to May 13.

HB 2474 stipulates thatproperty owners, tenants, public or private employers, and business entities must not prohibit the transport or storage of legally owned firearms in locked and privately owned motor vehicles parked within parking lots, parking garages, and other designated parking areas.It exempts property owners, tenants, public or private employers, business entities, and theiremployees or agents from civil liability for damages resulting from or arising out of an act involving a legally owned firearm that is transported or stored within a locked and privately owned vehicle.It allows employers and business entities to prescribe policies mandating that owners keep firearms out of the plain view of the public when stored or transported in locked and privately owned vehicles. And, it specifies inapplicability stemming from state and federal prohibition, and motor vehicle ownership.

We urge everyone to contact your Representatives and politely ask them to vote for HB 2474 during the House Third read on Wednesday, May 13, 2009.

sig.jpg

http://www.arizonadefensegroup.com

GWbiker

imported post

AZCDL announced House Bill 2474 passes third reading this afternoon by vote of 41-10. (9 non vote) HB 2474 now goes to the Senate.:celebrate

Crossfire Jedi

imported post

I was speaking to security guards at my office, they were not happy about this bill at all...blood vessels starting popping out of there heads. I know they are un-armed due to corporate policy, however, I admit being a bit shocked that they were against this bill. They would not go into why they didn't like it..but definitely became upset and hostile.

The other wording in the bill...the part about "remain out of plain view of the public". I really don't understand this. Are they speaking only of the gun in a locked car being in a the glove box or can this be understood as I need to park on the 10th floor with the rest of the gun owners....

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think it's the same thought process, regardless of the level. The masters(if only un-armed security guards in this case) don't want the 'underlings' to have equal or in that case, more power. They are taught not to trust 'underlings' but can't conceive the notion that a criminal doesn't care what the rules are anyway. It's all just pretty silly.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Unarmed Security Guards in a freely (and openly)'armed' State doesn't make a lot of sense. Iunderstand their 'attitude' 'bout this... altho I don't agree with it. 'Just another example of two-tierd mentality.