• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling to SC from VA?

readyfire

imported post

1st off hi everyone very cool site, I joined a while back but dont get the free time to chat much.
Question,Am i legal to conceal carry in NC and in SC w/my VA permit?I heard of some debate over reciprocity w/SC and want to verify that i am ok.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

readyfire wrote:
1st off hi everyone very cool site, I joined a while back but dont get the free time to chat much.
Question,Am i legal to conceal carry in NC and in SC w/my VA permit?I heard of some debate over reciprocity w/SC and want to verify that i am ok.
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8"http://www.vcdl.org/new/reciprocity.htm

PT111

imported post

ed wrote:
readyfire wrote:
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8"http://www.vcdl.org/new/reciprocity.htm

http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx?MenuID=CWP

Evidently the vcdl.org link is out of date as SC and VA have full reciprocity.

RECIPROCITY

As of September 12, 2008, states with which South Carolina has reciprocity are:

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

Residents of reciprocal states who hold permits issued by their states of residence may carry concealed firearms in South Carolina, but must abide by the restrictions in the South Carolina CWP law. For that reason, out of state residents of reciprocal states should familiarize themselves with restricted carry locations and other provisions of South Carolina law posted on this website. South Carolina permittees who carry firearms in reciprocal states are likewise responsible for familiarizing themselves with the applicable laws and regulations of the reciprocal state. Web sites of those states may be accessed by selecting the desired state name listed above.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I would highly recommend that you peruse the South Carolina forums to get up to speed with their laws regarding CCW. They are a little different than what we have here in Virginia. Different as in not as lenient as I understand.

PT111

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I would highly recommend that you peruse the South Carolina forums to get up to speed with their laws regarding CCW. They are a little different than what we have here in Virginia. Different as in not as lenient as I understand.

Could you elaborate on how they are not a lenient on concealed carry?

This is the restrictions on concealed carry in SC. One additional thing is the No Weapons Allowed signs if legal mean what they say and you can be arrested without them having to ask you to leave first.
(M) A permit issued pursuant to this section does not authorize a permit holder to carry a concealable weapon into a:
(1) police, sheriff, or highway patrol station or any other law enforcement office or facility;
(2) detention facility, prison, or jail or any other correctional facility or office;
(3) courthouse or courtroom;
(4) polling place on election days;
(5) office of or the business meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special purpose district;
(6) school or college athletic event not related to firearms;
(7) daycare facility or pre-school facility;
(8) place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law;
(9) church or other established religious sanctuary unless express permission is given by the appropriate church official or governing body; or
(10) hospital, medical clinic, doctor's office, or any other facility where medical services or procedures are performed unless expressly authorized by the employer.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

PT111 wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

This is the restrictions on concealed carry in SC. One additional thing is the No Weapons Allowed signs if legal mean what they say and you can be arrested without them having to ask you to leave first.
(M) A permit issued pursuant to this section does not authorize a permit holder to carry a concealable weapon into a:
(1) police, sheriff, or highway patrol station or any other law enforcement office or facility;
(2) detention facility, prison, or jail or any other correctional facility or office;
(5) office of or the business meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special purpose district;
(9) church or other established religious sanctuary unless express permission is given by the appropriate church official or governing body; or
(10) hospital, medical clinic, doctor's office, or any other facility where medical services or procedures are performed unless expressly authorized by the employer.
You just mentioned several, thank you.

Don't get me wrong. I love South Carolina and it is my intent to hopefully move there some day in the not to distant future (don't worry, I'm hard core Southern bred). I just got back from your fine state two days ago.

As for CC, can you carry into banks and ABC stores or is that a no-no?. Also, I don't think you've gotten OC through your legislature yet have you?

And I have this question. Many times you see the infamous gun with the red line diagonally through it on doors to motel offices. Does this refer just to the office or can you carry into your room for the time you have rented it?

PT111

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
PT111 wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

You just mentioned several, thank you.

Don't get me wrong. I love South Carolina and it is my intent to hopefully move there some day in the not to distant future (don't worry, I'm hard core Southern bred). I just got back from your fine state two days ago.

As for CC, can you carry into banks and ABC stores or is that a no-no?. Also, I don't think you've gotten OC through your legislature yet have you?

And I have this question. Many times you see the infamous gun with the red line diagonally through it on doors to motel offices. Does this refer just to the office or can you carry into your room for the time you have rented it?

Banks and Liquor stores are not on the list so yes you can CC there. If an establishment serves alcohol for on-premise consuption you cannot CC but that is debatable but has not been tested in court.

The sign that you refer to is the official no weapons signs. They must meet the legal requirements unlike many other states where anything goes. If they don't meet the legal requirements then they do not have any legal standing whatsoever. As for the ones on the motel office they only apply to the office. In SC you can carry your gun from your car to your room either OC or CC and you do no have to have a permit. All you have to do is pay for the room.

The only thing not covered by the above list other than bars is schools and that probably will change in the next few weeks.

I think your less lenient comments come from the laws in SC seem to respect individual private property rights more than in VA which frankly I am in favor of. I am a strong supporter of the 10th amendment, the rights of individual property owners and don't think the 2A should run all over either one.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

Readyfire

NC and SC are must notify states if official contact with LE must immediately notify of CHP and firearm. Also in SC must notify resident before carry in their residence.

PT111

imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
Readyfire

NC and SC are must notify states if official contact with LE must immediately notify of CHP and firearm. Also in SC must notify resident before carry in their residence.
Not quite. In SC if a LEO asks for your DL and you are carrying you have to also show the CWP but do not have to show the gun.

As for notifying someone before carrying in their home I don't see anything wrong with it.

(K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver's license from a permit holder.

PT111

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
PT111 wrote:
As for notifying someone before carrying in their home I don't see anything wrong with it.
Except that it's the homeowner's responsibility to make rules for his home, not the state's.

So it's OK for the law to say that you can't ban someone from carrying in your own home
SECTION 23-31-220

Nothing contained in this article shall in any way be construed to limit, diminish, or otherwise infringe upon:

(2) the right of a private property owner or person in legal possession or control to allow or prohibit the carrying of a concealable weapon upon his premises.

Tomahawk

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
PT111 wrote:
Except that it's the homeowner's responsibility to make rules for his home, not the state's.

So it's OK for the law to say that you can't ban someone from carrying in your own home
SECTION 23-31-220

Nothing contained in this article shall in any way be construed to limit, diminish, or otherwise infringe upon:

(2) the right of a private property owner or person in legal possession or control to allow or prohibit the carrying of a concealable weapon upon his premises.
No, that's not what I said. If the law respects your property rights, than it's up to you to decide if visitors must notify you or not.

nova

imported post

Also remember that in SC you can carry a loaded handgun in your glovebox with no permit required. Just in case this issue w/ reciprocity isn't cleared up yet.

PT111

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
PT111 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
PT111 wrote:

SECTION 23-31-220

No, that's not what I said. If the law respects your property rights, than it's up to you to decide if visitors must notify you or not.

There is nothing in the law that say you have to notify the owner but it does say you have to have the owners permission. The permission canbe implied or otherwise but the law doesn't say thay you have the right to carry unless they tell you to leave which is what you seem to be saying. The law merely says that the homeowner does not have to put a sign on the front door saying no guns allowed. Please take note that the law says a property owner has the right to ALLOW or PROHIBIT concealed weapons. The laws for Open Carry are different so please do not get them confused.

Edit to add it is not the homeowner's responsibility as far as SC law is concerned, it is his right. There is a big difference.

W.E.G.

imported post

Here's a little compilations I put together right about the time SC granted reciprocity to VA for concealed handgun permits.

SouthCarolinaconcealedhandgunlaw-5.jpg

PT111

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
Here's a little compilations I put together right about the time SC granted reciprocity to VA for concealed handgun permits.

SouthCarolinaconcealedhandgunlaw-5.jpg
Whoa, better change that. Carry is not permitted in any establishment that serves alcohol for on site consumption. Now there some controversy over that interpretation but it has not been tested in court so right now consider it to be illegal unles you are volunteering to be our test case. Everything else look fine.