Thread: Michigan Open Carry (MOC) litter pickup covered by the Royal Oak Daily Tribune (Oakland County)

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://www.dailytribune.com/articles...t#blogcomments

By Catherine Kavanaugh, Daily Tribune Staff Writer

Click to enlarge

Craig Gaffield/Daily Tribune From left, Mike Bostwick, Zachary Bostwick, Doug Holloway, Savannah Meadows and Dan Meadows of the Michigan Open Carry pro-firearms organization collect and bag litter in Ferndale Saturday.

Cleanup also to promote right to openly carry firearms.

FERNDALE β€” Lawrence Morton was surprised to see a pistol-packing, cleanup crew bagging litter along Woodward Avenue as he waited Saturday at a bus stop.

"It doesn't seem like there's a need for it here," the Detroit resident said of the men with firearms in holsters. "No one does that in my neighborhood."

When asked if he knew of anyone who carried a concealed weapon in his neighborhood, Morton just laughed.

The 10 members of Michigan Open Carry, Inc., a nonprofit, pro-firearms organization, raised some eyebrows as they tried to raise awareness about the right for anyone age 18 or older to openly carry a legally registered handgun.

"It's a little known law," Ferndale Lt. Bill Wilson said. "They use it to test rookies. They'll ask: What do you do if you see someone with a six-shooter strapped to his waist. The answer better be nothing or the rookie needs remedial training.

"If they are not brandishing it in a threatening way or going inside a bar, bank or school, which are some of the prohibitions, they are not breaking any law."

MOC President Brian Jeffs wore a 9 mm handgun in plain view as he handed out garbage bags in the parking lot of Ferndale Foods.

"We want to get people used to this," the Bath resident said.

"We're trying to make Michigan more like Arizona."

MOC's objectives are to desensitize the public β€” and some police β€” about seeing people walking down the streets with guns around their waists; to demonstrate gun owners are lawful and shouldn't be feared; and to protect themselves.

"It's like wearing a seatbelt or having car insurance," Jeffs said. "It's preventative, it's a precaution and it tends to deter crime."

Doug Holloway of Westland said he thinks he is safer openly carrying his firearm than someone who has a permit for a concealed weapon.

"A criminal will go after the softer target with the concealed pistol," he added.

But Carissa Gaden didn't notice any of the guns strapped around the MOC members as they walked down Nine Mile Road to Woodward. She was out with some students from Ferndale Middle School raising money for the music program. The fundraisers did recall the men donating some pocket change.

"I noticed their bright safety vests and I thought they were construction workers," Gaden said. "If I had seen their guns it would have freaked me out. Anyone with a gun around my children would make me uncomfortable."

MOC members often are challenged by people like Gaden when they gather for picnics or community service projects, Jeffs said. He also walks around armed with a brochure called "You can openly carry a handgun in Michigan" to explain the law.

"Once people learn this is legal they usually are indifferent," Jeffs said. "We've put in thousands of hours of open carry in Michigan to get out the word."

Police said they didn't get any complaints while the MOC members, who were cleaning sidewalks and medians north to Birmingham, were in Ferndale.

"I did expect people to call," Wilson said. "It's fairly common in other parts of the country but you don't see it around here. Part of the justification is you are telling everyone I have a gun and I will use it for protection. Right or wrong it makes sense."

Post imported post

What a great effort by MOC.

VERY positive article.

Kudos to all involved.

Post imported post

"I noticed their bright safety vests and I thought they were construction workers," Gaden said. "If I had seen their guns it would have freaked me out. Anyone with a gun around my children would make me uncomfortable."

This never gets old! Protective mothers who never notice.

Congrats on the event!:celebrate

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Awesome coverage.

Post imported post

Banks are off limits by statute in MI?

Post imported post

KBCraig wrote:

Yes, per 750.234d, unless you have a CPL.

Post imported post

Just went out and purchased a copy. The story dominates the front page!

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

What's ironic, is that I'm among the people the gun phobic woman recalled giving change to them, and that's why I had to go get $1.50 in quarters to get the paper this morning. And speaking of her, I wish she could have talked to any of the 3 kids that were there cleaning litter about why they weren't uncomfortable about firearms.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

KBCraig wrote:

No.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

"Doug Holloway of Westland said he thinks he is safer openly carrying his firearm than someone who has a permit for a concealed weapon."

Sadly, I was misquoted yet again.
    I stated that I felt OCer's are less likely to become a victim then someone CCing.

Hense my "soft target" comment.

I have my CPL and was also CCing as well as OCing.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    KBCraig wrote:

Β*
    No.
    If you don't have your CPL, you cannot carry (OC or CC) in a bank, per http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-234d

If you *DO* have your CPL, you can carry (OC or CC) in a bank, per the same statute (which exempts CPL holders of any state).

Post imported post

One more thing, thank you Dave Ridley for your coverage of open carry litter clean ups in New Hampshire and elsewhere. Without your efforts, this would not have happened, because I probably wouldn't have had the idea.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    One more thing, thank you Dave Ridley for your coverage of open carry litter clean ups in New Hampshire and elsewhere. Without your efforts, this would not have happened, because I probably wouldn't haveborrowed the idea.
    Fixed it for you.

Very well done. And it appears to be a good write up. There was a similar open carry litter pick up in Sacramento not long ago. While I was unable to attend, it was well populated. There however, was no media coverage and it seems the practice OC is having some difficulty in gaining momentum.Did you notify media through a press release, or did they find you on their own?
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Anotherphoto of the event not in the article.

An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA

Post imported post

"It doesn't seem like there's a need for it here," the Detroit resident said of the men with firearms in holsters. "No one does that in my neighborhood."
    What, pick up litter? Maybe someone in the neighborhood ought to start.

Post imported post

Yeah, to say the least. Detroit is in sad shape.

Post imported post

Great event! Glad to hear it received such positive coverage.

Michigander wrote:
    Just went out and purchased a copy. The story dominates the front page!
    I wonder if it's going to be dominating the Opinion area of the paper over the next week or so.

Post imported post

""It's a little known law," Ferndale Lt. Bill Wilson said. "They use it to test rookies. They'll ask: What do you do if you see someone with a six-shooter strapped to his waist. The answer better be nothing or the rookie needs remedial training."

This was good to hear (read) from Lt. Wilson. I'm just wondering if it is an actual quote or not. It starts with ", but the author never closed the quotes....

Post imported post

"MOC members often are challenged by people like Gaden when they gather for picnics or community service projects, Jeffs said. He also walks around armed with a brochure called "You can openly carry a handgun in Michigan" to explain the law."

Is there such a brochure for North Carolina?

Post imported post

HRS wrote:
    "MOC members often are challenged by people like Gaden when they gather for picnics or community service projects, Jeffs said. He also walks around armed with a brochure called "You can openly carry a handgun in Michigan" to explain the law."

Is there such a brochure for North Carolina?
    In the Michigan forum, there areimportant posts fixed to the top. These posts cover our state laws, attorney general opinions, how to handle police encounters, events schedule, etc. One of those ("MICHIGAN OPEN CARRY INFO HERE") contains the links for our state's brochure.

Are you suggesting something similar would be helpful in the North Carolina forum? If so, get in there and talk about it!
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

Well done! It just goes to show that people don't really notice.

My favorite part of the story is the quote about making Michigan more like Arizona. :P

It's good to live in a free state. Hopefully getting freer if the state legislature can start passing laws again soon.

Post imported post

Dahwg wrote:
    My favorite part of the story is the quote about making Michigan more like Arizona. :P
    If only it was possible. The weather and scenery in Michigan are both terrible.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

SQLtables wrote:
    ""It's a little known law," Ferndale Lt. Bill Wilson said. "They use it to test rookies. They'll ask: What do you do if you see someone with a six-shooter strapped to his waist. The answer better be nothing or the rookie needs remedial training."

This was good to hear (read) from Lt. Wilson. I'm just wondering if it is an actual quote or not. It starts with ", but the author never closed the quotes....
    It was from an email, the reporter showed it to me during the interview.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

I don't know maybe it's me.. but...

Having read several articles from across the country about Open carry.

I have seen several LEO's comment that..."It's common in other areas but you just don't see it here."

We really need for April 19th , 2010 to get here.. so they can quit saying that..

Of course that will take care of everyplace but Washington D.C., :celebrate

Post imported post

Great job!

Kudos also to Lt. Wilson. This is an exemplary cop who KNOWS THE LAWS!
    Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

Post imported post

conservative85 wrote:

This never gets old! Protective mothers who never notice.

Congrats on the event!:celebrate

Does that include the police?