• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan Open Carry (MOC) litter pickup covered by the Royal Oak Daily Tribune (Oakland County)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.dailytribune.com/articles/2009/05/10/news/srv0000005304048.txt#blogcomments

By Catherine Kavanaugh, Daily Tribune Staff Writer

Click to enlarge

srv0000005304048.jpg

Craig Gaffield/Daily Tribune From left, Mike Bostwick, Zachary Bostwick, Doug Holloway, Savannah Meadows and Dan Meadows of the Michigan Open Carry pro-firearms organization collect and bag litter in Ferndale Saturday.

Cleanup also to promote right to openly carry firearms.

FERNDALE — Lawrence Morton was surprised to see a pistol-packing, cleanup crew bagging litter along Woodward Avenue as he waited Saturday at a bus stop.

"It doesn't seem like there's a need for it here," the Detroit resident said of the men with firearms in holsters. "No one does that in my neighborhood."

When asked if he knew of anyone who carried a concealed weapon in his neighborhood, Morton just laughed.

The 10 members of Michigan Open Carry, Inc., a nonprofit, pro-firearms organization, raised some eyebrows as they tried to raise awareness about the right for anyone age 18 or older to openly carry a legally registered handgun.

"It's a little known law," Ferndale Lt. Bill Wilson said. "They use it to test rookies. They'll ask: What do you do if you see someone with a six-shooter strapped to his waist. The answer better be nothing or the rookie needs remedial training.

"If they are not brandishing it in a threatening way or going inside a bar, bank or school, which are some of the prohibitions, they are not breaking any law."

MOC President Brian Jeffs wore a 9 mm handgun in plain view as he handed out garbage bags in the parking lot of Ferndale Foods.

"We want to get people used to this," the Bath resident said.

"We're trying to make Michigan more like Arizona."

MOC's objectives are to desensitize the public — and some police — about seeing people walking down the streets with guns around their waists; to demonstrate gun owners are lawful and shouldn't be feared; and to protect themselves.

"It's like wearing a seatbelt or having car insurance," Jeffs said. "It's preventative, it's a precaution and it tends to deter crime."

Doug Holloway of Westland said he thinks he is safer openly carrying his firearm than someone who has a permit for a concealed weapon.

"A criminal will go after the softer target with the concealed pistol," he added.

But Carissa Gaden didn't notice any of the guns strapped around the MOC members as they walked down Nine Mile Road to Woodward. She was out with some students from Ferndale Middle School raising money for the music program. The fundraisers did recall the men donating some pocket change.

"I noticed their bright safety vests and I thought they were construction workers," Gaden said. "If I had seen their guns it would have freaked me out. Anyone with a gun around my children would make me uncomfortable."

MOC members often are challenged by people like Gaden when they gather for picnics or community service projects, Jeffs said. He also walks around armed with a brochure called "You can openly carry a handgun in Michigan" to explain the law.

"Once people learn this is legal they usually are indifferent," Jeffs said. "We've put in thousands of hours of open carry in Michigan to get out the word."

Police said they didn't get any complaints while the MOC members, who were cleaning sidewalks and medians north to Birmingham, were in Ferndale.

"I did expect people to call," Wilson said. "It's fairly common in other parts of the country but you don't see it around here. Part of the justification is you are telling everyone I have a gun and I will use it for protection. Right or wrong it makes sense."

conservative85

imported post

"I noticed their bright safety vests and I thought they were construction workers," Gaden said. "If I had seen their guns it would have freaked me out. Anyone with a gun around my children would make me uncomfortable."

This never gets old! Protective mothers who never notice.

Congrats on the event!:celebrate

Michigander

imported post

Just went out and purchased a copy. The story dominates the front page!

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

What's ironic, is that I'm among the people the gun phobic woman recalled giving change to them, and that's why I had to go get $1.50 in quarters to get the paper this morning. And speaking of her, I wish she could have talked to any of the 3 kids that were there cleaning litter about why they weren't uncomfortable about firearms.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

"Doug Holloway of Westland said he thinks he is safer openly carrying his firearm than someone who has a permit for a concealed weapon."

Sadly, I was misquoted yet again.
I stated that I felt OCer's are less likely to become a victim then someone CCing.

Hense my "soft target" comment.

I have my CPL and was also CCing as well as OCing. ;)

Michigander

imported post

One more thing, thank you Dave Ridley for your coverage of open carry litter clean ups in New Hampshire and elsewhere. Without your efforts, this would not have happened, because I probably wouldn't have had the idea.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Michigander wrote:
One more thing, thank you Dave Ridley for your coverage of open carry litter clean ups in New Hampshire and elsewhere. Without your efforts, this would not have happened, because I probably wouldn't haveborrowed the idea.

Fixed it for you.

Very well done. And it appears to be a good write up. There was a similar open carry litter pick up in Sacramento not long ago. While I was unable to attend, it was well populated. There however, was no media coverage and it seems the practice OC is having some difficulty in gaining momentum.Did you notify media through a press release, or did they find you on their own?

NightOwl

imported post

Great event! Glad to hear it received such positive coverage.

Michigander wrote:
Just went out and purchased a copy. The story dominates the front page!
I wonder if it's going to be dominating the Opinion area of the paper over the next week or so.

SQLtables

imported post

""It's a little known law," Ferndale Lt. Bill Wilson said. "They use it to test rookies. They'll ask: What do you do if you see someone with a six-shooter strapped to his waist. The answer better be nothing or the rookie needs remedial training."

This was good to hear (read) from Lt. Wilson. I'm just wondering if it is an actual quote or not. It starts with ", but the author never closed the quotes....

HRS

imported post

"MOC members often are challenged by people like Gaden when they gather for picnics or community service projects, Jeffs said. He also walks around armed with a brochure called "You can openly carry a handgun in Michigan" to explain the law."

Is there such a brochure for North Carolina?

DanM

imported post

HRS wrote:
"MOC members often are challenged by people like Gaden when they gather for picnics or community service projects, Jeffs said. He also walks around armed with a brochure called "You can openly carry a handgun in Michigan" to explain the law."

Is there such a brochure for North Carolina?

In the Michigan forum, there areimportant posts fixed to the top. These posts cover our state laws, attorney general opinions, how to handle police encounters, events schedule, etc. One of those ("MICHIGAN OPEN CARRY INFO HERE") contains the links for our state's brochure.

Are you suggesting something similar would be helpful in the North Carolina forum? If so, get in there and talk about it! :)

Dahwg

imported post

Well done! It just goes to show that people don't really notice.

My favorite part of the story is the quote about making Michigan more like Arizona. :p

It's good to live in a free state. Hopefully getting freer if the state legislature can start passing laws again soon.