• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about handgun purchase

ak_thrylls

imported post

Hi everybody, I have a question about purchasing a handgun. I am 19 and would like to purchase my friend's glock19. I have heard conflicting information about my legal right to own a handgun at the age of 19, so first thing: is it possible for me to purchase his gun? If so, what kind of paperwork /forms do we have to fill out, and is there any fee's associated with the transfer? I know that in AZ it is open carry once you are 18+, but can I get a CCW? or is there no way around it until I turn 21. Thanks for the help!

ak_thrylls

imported post

I know that I cannot purchase from a FFL/store, but I was under the impression that private party transfers and sales were ok, provided one has a valid AZ drivers license and no felonies, clean background check, etc (which I meet all above mentioned requirements).

me812

imported post

Hi everybody, I have a question about purchasing a handgun. I am 19 and would like to purchase my friend's glock19. I have heard conflicting information about my legal right to own a handgun at the age of 19, so first thing: is it possible for me to purchase his gun?

Yes, as long as you are both Arizona residents. Age of 18 is for private, intrastate handgun sales. It is perfectly legal for your friend to sell it to you, perfectly legal for you to buy it, and perfectly legal for you to carry it openly as allowed by state law.

If so, what kind of paperwork /forms do we have to fill out

None.

is there any fee's associated with the transfer?

If you are both residents of Arizona, you don't have to go through an FFL, so there are obviously no transfer fees. If one of you is not a resident of Arizona, then you're screwed because that means it has to go through an FFL and you have to be 21 to receive a handgun from an FFL.

I know that in AZ it is open carry once you are 18+

Correct.

can I get a CCW? or is there no way around it until I turn 21.

There is no way around it. If you want to conceal, you'll just have to wait until you turn 21.

Dahwg

imported post

me812 wrote:
Hi everybody, I have a question about purchasing a handgun. I am 19 and would like to purchase my friend's glock19. I have heard conflicting information about my legal right to own a handgun at the age of 19, so first thing: is it possible for me to purchase his gun?

Yes, as long as you are both Arizona residents. Age of 18 is for private, intrastate handgun sales. It is perfectly legal for your friend to sell it to you, perfectly legal for you to buy it, and perfectly legal for you to carry it openly as allowed by state law.

None.

If you are both residents of Arizona, you don't have to go through an FFL, so there are obviously no transfer fees. If one of you is not a resident of Arizona, then you're screwed because that means it has to go through an FFL and you have to be 21 to receive a handgun from an FFL.

Correct.

There is no way around it. If you want to conceal, you'll just have to wait until you turn 21.

+1 :monkey(Just wanted an excuse to post the dancing monkey.)

ak_thrylls

imported post

Dahwg wrote:
me812 wrote:

None.

Correct.

+1 :monkey (Just wanted an excuse to post the dancing monkey.)
thank you for the response. Both he and I are AZ residents, so no problems there. I have paid him and am in possession of a brand new g19 :celebrate (just wanted an excuse to post the dancing banana!) Planning on going up to the range off the carefree highway/i17 sometime this week. So there is really no paperwork involved at all, just hand over the cash and be on my way? Say I was open carrying and was questioned by an officer how I obtained the gun (since I am under 21), would a handwritten bill of sale (notorized or not?) be sufficient documentation of my ownership? Sorry, Im from CA so all the AZ gun laws are quite different than what Im used too.

GWbiker

imported post

So there is really no paperwork involved at all, just hand over the cash and be on my way? Say I was open carrying and was questioned by an officer how I obtained the gun (since I am under 21), would a handwritten bill of sale (notorized or not?) be sufficient documentation of my ownership?

If you really want to "CYOA" in the remote chance the gun might have been stolen, or you meet up with some cop with a Rambo mentality --

Perhaps:Two slips of paper stating *you* purchased the weapon from your friend and *he* sold the weapon to you. Include both parties AZ driver's license numbers, date and signatures. You get a copy and he gets a copy!

ak_thrylls

imported post

sounds good I think Ill do that. And the gun is not stolen I was with him when he bought it at cabellas. thanks for all the info guys

me812

imported post

Planning on going up to the range off the carefree highway/i17 sometime this week. So there is really no paperwork involved at all, just hand over the cash and be on my way? Say I was open carrying and was questioned by an officer how I obtained the gun (since I am under 21), would a handwritten bill of sale (notorized or not?) be sufficient documentation of my ownership?

I wouldn't worry about that too much. I doubt your friend would stick you with a stolen gun, and even if he did, it is not illegal to receive stolen property in good faith. If you ever get caught with a stolen gun, and there is no evidence that you knew or could have suspected it was stolen, the most that can happen is that it will be confiscated and returned to the rightful owner.

As far as cops with a "Rambo mentality" are concerned, all they can really do is bluster since you've done nothing illegal. If any cop asks you where you got it, simply tell the truth. Like I said, you've done nothing illegal and have nothing to fear.

Now, if you ever sell a gun, and it can be traced back to you, it's probably a good idea to take down the guys DL number, in case it ever turns up at a crime scene somewhere. But that's a different subject for a different day.