• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

News you may not have seen.

BreakingTheMold

imported post

Saw this this morning. Guns save lives!

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/19365762/detail.html

College Student Shoots, Kills Home Invader
Posted: 4:53 pm EDT May 4, 2009Updated: 6:41 pm EDT May 4, 2009

COLLEGE PARK, Ga. -- A group of college students said they are lucky to be alive and they’re thanking the quick-thinking of one of their own. Police said a fellow student shot and killed one of two masked me who burst into an apartment.

Channel 2 Action News reporter Tom Jones met with one of the students to talk about the incident.

“Apparently, his intent was to rape and murder us all,” said student Charles Bailey.

TOM JONES: College Student Shoots, Kills Home Invader

Bailey said he thought it was the end of his life and the lives of the 10 people inside his apartment for a birthday party after two masked men with guns burst in through a patio door.

“They just came in and separated the men from the women and said, ‘Give me your wallets and cell phones,’” said George Williams of the College Park Police Department.

Bailey said the gunmen started counting bullets. “The other guy asked how many (bullets) he had. He said he had enough,” said Bailey.

That’s when one student grabbed a gun out of a backpack and shot at the invader who was watching the men. The gunman ran out of the apartment.

The student then ran to the room where the second gunman, identified by police as 23-year-old Calvin Lavant, was holding the women.

“Apparently the guy was getting ready to rape his girlfriend. So he told the girls to get down and he started shooting. The guy jumped out of the window,” said Bailey.

A neighbor heard the shots and heard someone running nearby.

“And I heard someone say, ‘Someone help me. Call the police. Somebody call the police,’” said a neighbor.

The neighbor said she believes it was Lavant, who was found dead near his apartment, only one building away.

Bailey said he is just thankful one student risked his life to keep others alive.

“I think all of us are really cognizant of the fact that we could have all been killed,” said Bailey.

One female student was shot several times during the crossfire. She is expected to make a full recovery.

Police said they are close to making the arrest of the second suspect.

Copyright 2009 by WSBTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

BreakingTheMold

imported post

This is going to be a bad one on a lot of levels should it gain steam - and here's why:

It gives the Attorney General of the United States - by himself - the power to deny you the right to purchase a firearm, completely subverting "checks and balances", "due process" and the Second Amendment.

I'm not over-stating this at all, as you'll see when you read the proposed bill:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.2159: : (copy&paste the whole link into your browser - up through the second colon).

"`Sec. 922B. Attorney General's discretion regarding applicants for firearm permits which would qualify for the exemption provided under section 922(t)(3) `The Attorney General may determine that an applicant for a firearm permit which would qualify for an exemption under section 922(t) is known (or appropriately suspected) to be or have been engaged in conduct constituting, in preparation for, in aid of, or related to terrorism, or providing material support thereof, and the Attorney General has a reasonable belief that the applicant may use a firearm in connection with terrorism.'

"appropriately suspected"??? "reasonable belief"??? Are you KIDDING ME? The government is making up "legal terms" as they go along - ones which totally subvert the true standards of the law: "PROBABLE cause" (the Fourth Amendment standard).

That section continues: "and
(3) in section 921(a), by adding at the end the following:
`(36) The term `terrorism' means `international terrorism' as defined in section 2331(1), and `domestic terrorism' as defined in section 2331(5)."

Want to hazard a guess as to who might be included under the heading of "domestic terrorists"?

How about Second Amendment believing GUN OWNERS?

The A.G. would implement this new "power" by being given the ability to "deny" a NICS check: "(b) Effect of Attorney General Discretionary Denial Through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) on Firearms Permits- Section 922(t) of such title is amended--"
This bill would thussubvert this clause in the FIFTH Amendment: "nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law" .

I don't know about YOU, but MY ability to feel UN-deprived of "life, liberty, or property" depends on my ability to purchase a weapon unless "due process" (which this bill is NOT) forbids it.

The bill also would subvert the spirit of the SIXTH Amendment : "to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence." because of this part of the proposed bill:
"
(g) Attorney General's Ability To Withhold Information in Firearms License Denial and Revocation Suit- Section 923(f) of such title is amended--
(1) in the 1st sentence of paragraph (1), by inserting `, except that if the denial or revocation is pursuant to subsection (d)(1)(H) or (e)(3), then any information on which the Attorney General relied for this determination may be withheld from the petitioner if the Attorney General determines that disclosure of the information would likely compromise national security' before the period; and
(2) in paragraph (3), by inserting after the 3rd sentence the following: `With respect to any information withheld from the aggrieved party under paragraph (1), the United States may submit, and the court may rely on, summaries or redacted versions of documents containing information the disclosure of which the Attorney General has determined would likely compromise national security.'. "

Folks, this thing is no joke - it's a nightmare waiting to happen I need YOU to contact your Representative as quickly as possible via email/FAX/phone call to voice your OPPOSITION to H.R. 2159. Here is a sample letter/FAX that I sent my OWN Representative:
================================================================

Denying Firearms and Explosives to Dangerous Terrorists Act of 2009 (Introduced in House)
HR 2159 IH - is both UN-Constitutional AND an outrageous insult to every law-abiding American in this country.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.2159: :
`Sec. 922A. Attorney General's discretion to deny transfer of a firearm `The Attorney General may deny the transfer of a firearm pursuant to section 922(t)(1)(B)(ii) if the Attorney General determines that the transferee is known (or appropriately suspected) to be or have been engaged in conduct constituting, in preparation for, in aid of, or related to terrorism, or providing material support thereof, and the Attorney General has a reasonable belief that the prospective transferee may use a firearm in connection with terrorism.';
(2) by inserting the following new section after section 922A:
`Sec. 922B. Attorney General's discretion regarding applicants for firearm permits which would qualify for the exemption provided under section 922(t)(3) `The Attorney General may determine that an applicant for a firearm permit which would qualify for an exemption under section 922(t) is known (or appropriately suspected) to be or have been engaged in conduct constituting, in preparation for, in aid of, or related to terrorism, or providing material support thereof, and the Attorney General has a reasonable belief that the applicant may use a firearm in connection with terrorism.';

The "Attorney General" is NOT "God".

"appropriately suspected" is meaningless as a term to supposedly carry legal weight and provide this kind of Constitution-destroying power. It is so far below "reasonable cause" - not to mention the even weaker "reasonable suspicion" that it is ludicrous!

Vote "NAY" on this - and do not even think about becoming a co-sponsor for it.

The legal, law-abiding gun-owners of this country have had enough.

(Signed)