• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My VA ABC iPhone/Touch app is out!

hsmith

imported post

denwego wrote:
Just bought a copy! This is a great tool, thanks for making it!
Thanks! I would have loved to make if free, but I have a $100/month server bill to pay :lol:

If you have any suggestions at all, please provide them! I have some changes coming for the 3.0 Operating System that I think will be great additions.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Good for you H!

I don't have a phone that runs those apps, but I see you've filled a need for some regional folks, and I hope you profit from your efforts handsomely.

Support your local OC'er.

Vote Quimby

hsmith

imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
Good for you H!

I don't have a phone that runs those apps, but I see you've filled a need for some regional folks, and I hope you profit from your efforts handsomely.

Vote Quimby
I plan to roll out a website that helps search the ABC database, since the one the gov provides is useless!

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You're right. And maybe you'll expand the concept nationwide and draw a lot of expensive sponsorship to ride along on your idea. I wish you good fortune!

richarcm

imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
Good for you H!

Vote Quimby
Sounds like you need to support him by going to AT&T and getting a new iphone. :lol:

hellfogg

imported post

If anyone is curious, Verizon is in the final process of getting the IPhone also. Once this happens I'll be sure to download it.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hsmith wrote:
denwego wrote:
Thanks! I would have loved to make if free, but I have a $100/month server bill to pay :lol:

If you have any suggestions at all, please provide them! I have some changes coming for the 3.0 Operating System that I think will be great additions.
As a fan of capitalism, I'll put aside the fact that it looks like you decided to change the application's purpose from listing restaurants that have ABC licenses to monetizing a clone of my business rating tool. I figured you just missed the post where I asked if you wanted to combine efforts in your previous thread. Now I understand why you didn't reply.

I will however call BS on your reason for charging for the app. You're free to charge what you want, but don't make it sound like you're paying $100/mo to host this application, you're not. I don't doubt you are paying $100/mo in hosting, but it isn't for this app alone.

I ain't mad at ya, I just think we could do more for the community by working together than by duplicating efforts. As an example, I would have hosted the site for free, and provided the rating data that has already been collected via the Friend or Foe tool.

In case you're interested in combining efforts, let me know. As it stands, it looks like you'll be creating a web interface and I'll have to write my own iPhone app.

hsmith

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
hsmith wrote:
denwego wrote:

As a fan of capitalism, I'll put aside the fact that it looks like you decided to change the application's purpose from listing restaurants that have ABC licenses to monetizing a clone of my business rating tool. I figured you just missed the post where I asked if you wanted to combine efforts in your previous thread. Now I understand why you didn't reply.

I will however call BS on your reason for charging for the app. You're free to charge what you want, but don't make it sound like you're paying $100/mo to host this application, you're not. I don't doubt you are paying $100/mo in hosting, but it isn't for this app alone.

I ain't mad at ya, I just think we could do more for the community by working together than by duplicating efforts. As an example, I would have hosted the site for free, and provided the rating data that has already been collected via the Friend or Foe tool.

In case you're interested in combining efforts, let me know. As it stands, it looks like you'll be creating a web interface and I'll have to write my own iPhone app.
:)I can assure you the $1.10 i make after taxes + apple tax I won't be making a red cent off of this. Even if I did, I'd just be dumping into into pro-gun groups such as the VCDL. I have no interest in making money off of this. I don't have the time to work with other people- I have too many irons in the fire and it is what it is.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I never said you were out to make a buck, but the way you worded the above just rubbed me the wrong way, since it sounded like you were charging for the app because of the hosting costs.

I honestly wouldn't care if you did make some money, as I know it costs to enroll in the Apple dev program, etc.

If you are so swamped, why go through the trouble of reinventing the wheel when I've already got a site in place and a decent amount of data collected? It's not like I have a ton of free time to do what I do either, but I'd much prefer to have some help on a project than to recreate what someone else had already done.

I see you're using .NET, as am I so I could have a web service ready for the iPhone app to consume in no time.

In any case, there's no hard feelings. I'll do my thing and you do yours if that's how you want it.

Armed

imported post

Any chance you could makea small web app version that we could hit with a blackberry or other web enabled phone? Not everyone has an iPhone... Thanks!