• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who was OCing at the Walla Walla Home Depot?

joeroket

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
joeroket wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
joeroket wrote:
wrightme wrote:
When a police officer "explains" such options, it IS coercion.  Color of Law.  The "threat of force" is inherent in the position the LE holds.

Not in Wa. There has to be a threat of force or detainment. Neither was present in this instance.
Yet.  Because the MWAG complied with the officer's request.  So, how about in my encounter with an officer.  He held up my CPL and waved it around and stated, "This can easily be taken away."  Well, in order to revoke a CPL, a person must be convicted of a crime, so I took that as a threat that he would charge me with a crime if I did not comply and conceal my firearm.

I agree. However in your encounter it would more likely have been a citation which is neither the threat of force or physical confinement. Your encounter was very close to coercion but I am still not sure that it would apply. Your was definitely an unlawful detainment which, I think, may be an area of confusion.

A detainment is not a threat of force or physical confinement in itself. In my opinion the officer would have go hands on in one way or another or threaten to in their attempt to keep you from doing something you have the lawful right to do in order for coercion to come into play.
Umm... what about RCW 9a.04.110(27)(d):
To accuse any person of a crime or cause criminal charges to be instituted against any person;

That RCW is just the definition. Is there an RCW that might come into play if someone is accused or charged with a crime for simple OC? There has to be something that uses 27(d).

joeroket

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
joeroket wrote:
That RCW is just the definition. Is there an RCW that might come into play if someone is accused or charged with a crime for simple OC? There has to be something that uses 27(d).
I think the coercion statute now refers to all of 27(d).  It used to refer to 25 (a)(b)(c) but then those got changed to section 26 and then later changed to section 27.  There is a note at the end of the coercion statute that states that.

I'm not so sure. Usually they just renumber when they add sections in the middle. The entire section 25 was renumbered to 27 after two revisions. It does not appear that they revised the section itself, just the number. I am going to go to the library to look up a RCW from 1977. I will see if I can find this one before the renumbering.

shad0wfax

imported post

It wasn't me. I know someone who OC's in Walla Walla. I'll find out if it was him.

P.S. This thread is now back on topic. :banghead::banghead::banghead: