• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ed for the first time

Yarcher

imported post

Well, I have been lurking around on this sight and a couple others for awhile now, brushing up on my knowledge of the law. Luckily, I have been CC'ing for about nine years and my CPL is marked "exempt." So not quite as much to worry about in regard to where I go with a weapon. I recently bought a very nice Kimber Pro Raptor and decided that I would not carry this gun concealed if I could avoid it. Too large, too pretty, and I figured it was about time I did my part to educated the public regarding our rights.

That said, I headed into Walmart on Friday night for some weekend supplies with a .45 on one hip adn two magazines on the other. Lots of looks, but no comments that I heard. The card isle was very busy, and I had to get a mother's day card, no problems there.The check out clerk and the lady behind me in line were very friendly,must have been my dashing good looks or something. :lol:

So I headed out today to get a few more things. Stopped at Meijer's, ran into an old friend. Asked some workers there for help finding a few thing, no issues at all. Only comment I heard was on my way out, when a young boy said to his mom, "Mom, he has a gun, why?" I almost went out of my way to answer, but was already past and headed out the door.

On to the mall, where I noticed only "no smoking" signs on the door. In the entryway, there was a sign outlining the "code of conduct." Right near the bottom were the words "No firearms or illegal weapons." Apparently, you can carry a weapon as long as it is not a firearm or illegal. So I went inand headed for the Payless Shoe Store to get some laces. The girl there took the laces from my hand and said, "You're not going to shoot me are you?" I said certainly not. My girlfriend told me I should have said, "No, stupidity is not a capital offense." Anyhow, took a few moments to enlighten her as to the open carry laws, and was on my way. Made a few more stops, but no other comments.

All in all, I think I will keep on OC'ing as much as possible. Hopefully there will be more opportunities to spread the word. I am also busy enlightening all my friends who currently own a handgun or CC. Suprising how few know about these laws. Anyhow, just wanted to say thanks for the wealth of information on this site.

T Vance

imported post

So when people that have CPL's that are marked exempt do they still have to renew them? And if/when they renew themthey still get tokeep the exempt version of the CPL?

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

T Vance wrote:
So when people that have CPL's that are marked exempt do they still have to renew them? And if/when they renew them they still get to keep the exempt version of the CPL? 

Yes, they still have to renew them. They don't necessarily maintain exempt status; it really depends on the issuing county.

Yarcher

imported post

Glad to be here. Lots of good information to be had on these pages. As for the "exempt" marking, yes I renew just like everyone else. It simply allows me to carry concealed in pistol free zones, so I have never given too much thought as to where I can and cannot go with my pistol. Prior to visiting this site, I was not clear on the laws regarding open carry and pistol free zones. Come to mention it, I am not sure it is any clearer. Just kidding, but I sure wish the issue of OC'ing in aschool zone was a little more clear cut. For now I will CC there, as Ialways have in the past.

Yarcher

imported post

Occupation. Never had to go in front of the gun board since Michigan became a shall issue state. I have renewed in Tuscola and Saginaw County, and never had a problem.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Yarcher wrote:
Luckily, I have been CC'ing for about nine years and my CPL is marked "exempt."
Exempt from what?

Per Section 5o, in pertinent part:

(4) Subsection (1) does not apply to any of the following:

(a) An individual licensed under this act who is a retired police officer or retired law enforcement officer. The concealed weapon licensing board may require a letter from the law enforcement agency stating that the retired police officer or law enforcement officer retired in good standing.

(b) An individual who is licensed under this act and who is employed or contracted by an entity described under subsection (1) to provide security services and is required by his or her employer or the terms of a contract to carry a concealed firearm on the premises of the employing or contracting entity.

(c) An individual who is licensed as a private investigator or private detective under the professional investigator licensure act, 1965 PA 285, MCL 338.821 to 338.851.

(d) An individual who is licensed under this act and who is a corrections officer of a county sheriff's department.

(e) An individual who is licensed under this act and who is a motor carrier officer or capitol security officer of the department of state police.

(f) An individual who is licensed under this act and who is a member of a sheriff's posse.

(g) An individual who is licensed under this act and who is an auxiliary officer or reserve officer of a police or sheriff's department.

(h) An individual who is licensed under this act and who is a parole or probation officer of the department of corrections.

(i) A state court judge or state court retired judge who is licensed under this act. The concealed weapon licensing board may require a state court retired judge to obtain and carry a letter from the judicial tenure commission stating that the state court retired judge is in good standing as authorized under section 30 of article VI of the state constitution of 1963, and rules promulgated under that section, in order to qualify under this subdivision.

T Vance, those who meet one or more of these conditions are exempt from the CPZ's. Actually, there is no Michigan Statue that requires these folks to have their CPL exemption box checked. It's justCYA in case you are stopped/questioned.