Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 1911

Post imported post

Ok I'm on the hunt for a Norinco 1911 used. My father has a few 1911's and he loves his Norinco even more then his Kimber. The reason he likes his is its a great knock around inexpensive dont care about it carry gun.

Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Money is realy short right now but I feel the need for the stopping power of a .45 and a 1911 is a great platform.

I've been pocking around riverofguns.com and gunbroker.com but all the online places have everything listing for around 700+ I was thinking maybe one of the fine members might have a norinco paper weight sitting in the back of a gun safe somewhere collecting dust they wouldn't part with.

Post imported post

Flames, why

IIRC, Gun Test magazine did a review of the Norinco 1911 a few yrs back and gave it a good (recommend) rating, rated itbetter than some 1911's that cost $$$$.

For a custom build up it would make an excellent platform.

Here is a link tothe website, you must register/subscribe to read.
    http://www.gun-tests.com/
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

I've got a couple 1911s and I wouldn't mind adding a Norinco.

Also check out the Firestorm 1911s. They've been rated very highly and they are very cost effective. My brother saw one at a show for $400 and it was brand new. I'd totally buy one: http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=6

Post imported post

Keep in mind that Charles Daly, and Armscor (who made CD 1911's until recently) are also inexpensive 1911's that have lots of potential. Almost any 1911 that you can get a good deal on, that isn't cracked or badly rusted, should serve you well if you or a smith tunes the extractor and makes sure it feeds properly.

One more thing, try to avoid web auctions, because everything seems to be going for top dollaron auctions these days. Better totry forsale ads on forums, gun shows, SGN, stuff like that.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    One more thing, try to avoid web auctions, because everything seems to be going for top dollaron auctions these days.
    Being an informed buyer is always good advise.

The slightly customized N 1911 that was listed (not mine sold for $550)
    ETA:
    Link to GB auction removed.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

I have an older NM prefix serial # Springfield Armory I might be persuaded topart with

Post imported post

Post imported post

I know ahead of time that I'll likely be barbequed for this response but might look at a Taurus 1911 if you find any lying around.

I know Taurus is not a particularly popular brand on many a board but I have two: a PT140 .40 cal Millenium Pro series and the aforementioned 1911.Each with close to 300-400 rounds down the tube and nary a problem. Total for the brandspanking new Taurus1911 (out the door) = ~$525. Lets just say I took the money I could have been saving with Geico and bought the Taurus - 2 actually; and I'm gonna take the money I saved with the T brand and do some customizing . . .

Nothing against the Norinco, just my $.02.

Good luck in your endeavors,

d

Post imported post

daytonaredeye:

Nothing wrong with a Taurus at all.Some folks like them, some don't. I own a PT-1911 with Heinie Straight Eight Nite Sites and carry it daily. Runs great, eats any ammo it is fed and I like the Nite Sites. It also goes bang every time I pull the trigger, no FTF/FTE's ever after several hundered rounds through it. They are priced right too. Good Warranty too.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I don't know a thing about the Norinco, but I walked out of a show with a Rock Island Armory (RIA) 1911 for $400 all inclusive.

Of course, it was before November 4, 2008.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

hi, just thought i show you mine .

Post imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
    I have an older NM prefix serial # Springfield Armory I might be persuaded topart with
    That would depend on how much persuasion was required. What kinda ball park we thinking?

Post imported post

Springfield Armory 1911A1, NM prefix Serial Number, Ambi Safety Installed, 18.5 lb. Recoil Spring, Full Length Guide Rod, Stock Rod also, 1-8 rnd. magazineno less than $500 persuaders, you need it shipped to an FFL near you, I have to ship from one near me......Let me know.........

Post imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
    Springfield Armory 1911A1, NM prefix Serial Number, Ambi Safety Installed, 18.5 lb. Recoil Spring, Full Length Guide Rod, Stock Rod also, 1-8 rnd. magazineno less than $500 persuaders, you need it shipped to an FFL near you, I have to ship from one near me......Let me know.........

Honestly it sounds like its a bit more then I'm looking for. after shipping through an FFL it would cost more then just buying the new Springfield Armory 1911 GI45 at the local gun shop. Thanks for the offer though. Always good to have options.

Guess I'll head back to the gun shop tomorrow and drop some cash on the 1911 for deposit.

Post imported post

No Worries Tiny, I said persuade me to sell, not that I WANT To sell.

BTW, saw/handled a Firestorm today, very nice feel, tight, pretty blue finish, wod grips, no ambi, good sights, extended Slide Stop and Safety Lock Lever, if I had had the $499.95+tax, it would be here now. Good Luck in your quest for the best..........almost 100 years old and Still Going STRONG...........1911, what if Ruger made a 1911 like they make everything else..........WOW.................time to wake up I guess...........

Post imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
    ...if Ruger made a 1911 like they make everything else...
    then there would be a safety recall within weeks.

Post imported post

I only own one Ruger Auto Pistol, a Tried and Proven design, MKII 22/45, 5.5 bbl, blue, FUN, Accurate, Fun, Educational, Economic, Fun,

If they did it right like they used to do, plastic revolvers...........I don't know, they have made Great revolvers before, own some...........

Done right, it might be really nice, just my .05,(adjusted for current economic conditions) worth............

Post imported post

When I turned 21 I was out looking for a brand new 1911 (my dad had got a $300 Llama a few years back which to this day is falling apart), I was looking for an SA but unfortunately I was born in January so this year Obama moved in and everyone bought up all the 1911s except a few Taurus so I caved and bought a Taurus thinking it would probably suck but I've been very impressed no problems at all and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Post imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
    When I turned 21 I was out looking for a brand new 1911 (my dad had got a $300 Llama a few years back which to this day is falling apart), I was looking for an SA but unfortunately I was born in January so this year Obama moved in and everyone bought up all the 1911s except a few Taurus so I caved and bought a Taurus thinking it would probably suck but I've been very impressed no problems at all and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
    I gotta say I like the looks of your Taurus. not a fan of the big lettering on the slide but yours looks good.

Post imported post

Tiny85 wrote:
    FunkTrooper wrote:
    I gotta say I like the looks of your Taurus. not a fan of the big lettering on the slide but yours looks good.
    Yeah I didn't much like the lettering at first but I'm used to it now. I ordered some custom coco bolo grips to lighten it's appearance a bit, I notice that probably because of the stainless steel my gun on my hip is never really mistaken for a cell phone.

Post imported post

Ok i just stumbled across a Llama 1911 for $325 I need to know if there is any reason not to scoop up this 1911 right now. It falls into my price range of sub $400

I also found a guy locally selling a RIA 1911 asking $500. Should I first try and lean on the RIA seller and see if i cant get him a little closer to the $400 mark or would the Llama be a good option as the price is in the right area as it is.

Post imported post

Here is an article on the llama: http://www.gunreports.com/special_re...tols172-1.html

I'm not really familiar with the llamas, but it doesn't seem to be a "true" 1911. There are parts that won't interchange with a normal 1911. I'd pass on it and see if you can talk the RIA down in price. I've heard good things about the RIAs.

Post imported post

Tiny85 wrote:
    Ok i just stumbled across a Llama 1911 for $325 I need to know if there is any reason not to scoop up this 1911 right now. It falls into my price range of sub $400

I also found a guy locally selling a RIA 1911 asking $500. Should I first try and lean on the RIA seller and see if i cant get him a little closer to the $400 mark or would the Llama be a good option as the price is in the right area as it is.
    DO NOT BUY THE LLAMA, my dad got me one for plinking when I was a kid the thing was inaccurate and to this day is falling apart the firing pin stuck in the frame because of the slide's lac luster steel and the rear sights started falling off (yes just sliding off). The gun also has constant mis fires, this is OK for a plinking gun but not for a carry gun you need something reliable the only thing good about this gun was a lifetime warrenty unfortunatly we had to use it a lot. Also the Llama isn't a true clone and the parts aren't inter changeable with other clones so you have to send it back for repairs and can't just order a wilson combat part.

RIA sounds good, my friend has one and loves it of course I think he's upgraded a lot of it.

Post imported post

You would be well served with a used Springfield. The Norinco is an excellent piece of equipment, but there would be no warranty behind it (which may or may not be a big deal to you). I own a few 1911's from all levels of quality and customization, and I will say that the right pistol will make a big difference.

Post imported post

You might want to look at a Citadel. A local shop by me has both a government and officers size for under $600. Looked into it and these are made by Armscor who used to make the CDs. I believe Combat Handguns reviewed them in the June issue and thought they were good. Tempted to get the officers for a carry piece but may wait until I have enough saved for a Kimber Pro instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast